Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by ervinocus
In this logic it makes totally sense the licence given to HP to "produce" the "hPod": it will even more help Apple to show to customers how they still have "the edge"... :D

HP has no such "license" to "produce" the HP-branded blue iPod. Apple is rebranding the digital music player for HP. so, that "logic" does not hold up.

ervinocus

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Originally posted by Rod Rod
HP has no such "license" to "produce" the HP-branded blue iPod. Apple is rebranding the digital music player for HP. so, that "logic" does not hold up.

I putted the word "produce" in inverted commas on purpose. Say "distribute and re-brand Apple-produced iPod" if you prefer, the point does not change.

My guess is that the "classical" form-factor iPod will be fased out in a couple of years max as an Apple direct product, and leaved to be distributed only by licensee as HP. In the mean time in the Apple-branded machines the old form-factor will be progressively substituted in the high-end product segment by a video-iPod model, and in the low end segment by mini-iPod form-factor machines, that will eventually become the only family of machines for the next 1 or 2 generations of Apple-branded MP3 players.

Obviously this is only a proverbial "two cents opinion", but if/when this will happen please remeber that you first heard it from me... :D ;)

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Off topic, but maybe a deal, somebody could use:

I saw an ad in L.A. Times on 1/16 for cheap iPod's. It wasn't a small ad, so it seemed legit.

iPod mini for $199 for the first 200 orders.
iPod 15 gb. $239
iPod 20 gb. $339
iPod 40 gb. $439

They didn't list a site. :confused:
Only this phone #:
1-866-296-9047

Call at your own risk.

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Anyone think the iPod mini accessories will be colored to match? At least the earphones maybe?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
I feel that 249 is just too expesive when compared to 299 for a 15 gig - Just doesnt add up. I feel that a $50.00 mail in rebate will be appropriate.

Yes, but they aren't releasing the minis to compete with the larger iPods - they're releasing them to compete with the higher-end flash player market - completely differnet target and market segment. There's more to consider than just the cost. For many people, cost is not the driving factor, and they do not care if they can get the 15 GB for $50 more.

I'm hoping for further iPod updates around April or May - price cuts to the minis and possibly some updates to the main iPods as well, either in the form of slight price reductions as well, new features, or larger capacities for the same price.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Overall fact remains:

1. When Jobs mentioned the price on the mini you could have heard a pin drop in the convention center, if you listen carefully you hear someone front row say "huh" then a "tssk" sound.
2. By overwhelming majority almost nobody seems to like the price of the iPod, IF Apple listened to it's consumer base (rarely does, save a few instances) they'd please a huge audience AND sell these things like hotcakes at $199.
3. Only the most frothy Jobs follower Mac zany Koolaid drinker defends the $249, these same people would defend s*** tasting like ice cream if Jobs said it was like vanilla and put an Apple logo on it.
4. I heard from a couple sources the mark-up on the current iPod ranges from upper twenty percent low end to almost fifty percent high end.
5. If, for argument's sake, Apple's mark-up on the current iPod is, say, 30 percent, lowering the price to $199 without finding a way to make them cheaper would make a mightly slim profit margin, a profit margin to be sure, but slim. Apple ain't about slim profit margin, even in the face of that helping get more people buying Macs, they simply do not care, they care about profits, like it or not (that and innovating for the entire industry). That's why they are billions in the black while all but a few others are in the red or barely hanging on.

What I'm trying to say is YES Apple would be smart to lower the price to $199 but NO knowing Apple and their history of stuff there's no way in heck they will for a very long time to come, EVEN if they don't sell (which initially they will do okay).

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by Photorun
Overall fact remains:

1. When Jobs mentioned the price on the mini you could have heard a pin drop in the convention center, if you listen carefully you hear someone front row say "huh" then a "tssk" sound.
I remember when that when i watched the keynote

sfhc21

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
Dallas, TX
Have you guys seen the Phillips hdd060 mp3 player? The gadget (black version) is very nice looking - first player that I've seen that looks better than the iPod.

Its small with a 1.5gb harddrive - and priced at $199...

Apple better get on board and drop the price of the mini very quickly.

sfhc21

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
Dallas, TX
Here is a pic...

Attachments

• 2377_super.jpg
    2377_super.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 615

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
I won't address your opinion that it's better looking than the iPod other than to say, I disagree.

But if this 1.5 GB player is $199, then why should Apple price their 4GB any lower?

I want the mini priced lower as much as the next guy, but your thought process is quite faulty.

If anything, this is more justification for the $250 price point.

While it's higher than we all want, it's becoming clear that at this point, few - if any - companies can produce a similar product at a lower price.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I agree.

Philips is notorious for designing bad looking products. This looks better, but it's still no iPod.

sfhc21

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
Dallas, TX
All you white people only liking anything that is white...

My reasoning is that if Apple is trying to target the high-end flash market, then the actual size of the hard drive doesn't matter too much....Any hard drive will work better than a 256 meg flash card.

Most of us were expecting Apple to release the iPod mini with only a 1 or 2 gb hard-drive anyways. Phillips is doing what Apple should have done - keeping the price below $200...

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
No, for me it's a matter of shiny plastic that I don't really care for. It appears that it's made of shiny black plastic which looks cheap to me. Granted, it's only one image, but based on all the evidence I have, I disagree. You're free to like any products you like, but don't assume that I'm one of the "Apple can do no wrong - everyone else can do no right" crowd.

When I see iPods, they look well-made. That what attracts me to them.

I don't disagree with your comment about the target market. It wasn't in your first post however.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Originally posted by sfhc21
Here is a pic...

Hmmm... I think it's elegant. It looks like it has a pretty hi-res screen too, if that screenshot is real. But I'm also sticking iPod. ;)

As for the case, if it's a soft shiny plastic, it will probably look ugly soon after purchase. But there have been some cell phones that pulled off this kind of look with success.

kf4wvk

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
30 & 60?

Originally posted by Chip NoVaMac
I am hoping that with the 15gb iPod that we see in the next month or so a 30gb replacing the 20gb, and a 60gb replacing the 40gb at the same price points.

Now this, I like. Last night I was trying to figure out the value of a 20GB for $399 vs. the 15GB for $299, but then I noticed the remote and dock don't come with the 15GB.

Question is, when will Apple Gig-bump the top two iPods???

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Re: 30 & 60?

Originally posted by kf4wvk
Now this, I like. Last night I was trying to figure out the value of a 20GB for $399 vs. the 15GB for $299, but then I noticed the remote and dock don't come with the 15GB.

Question is, when will Apple Gig-bump the top two iPods???

I know what you mean. I just got a 15 gig b/c of the bump from 10 to 15 (I have about 11.5 GB of music). Since I have an iBook, I don't think I'm going to miss the dock too much, but I am wondering how much I will start wanting a remote.

But then again, I can just look forward to what I'll be able to upgrade to in two years. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'll just be waiting a couple more months until the next iPod updates - whether it's same price/larger capacities, or something entriely new for the iPods, I'm waiting to see the next big update and then I'll buy. :cool:

Borg3of5

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Orlando, FL
Perfect combination

I would buy a minIpod if:

1. It cost $199 or lower,
2. It had a 6 GB capacity,
3. It had an FM/AM tuner built-in.

OR

I would buy a regular Ipod if:

1. 20 GB model < $300
2. Had an FM/AM tuner built-in.

No IF's, AND's, or BUT's.

Why will Apple NOT put AT LEAST an FM tuner built-in to the iPod is beyond me. I hope the 4G iPod will have one. The small size of the miniPod is neat, but it HAS to have an FM/AM tuner. Apple make my wishes come true!

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
All this $200 iPod mini stuff was invented by the rumor sites. Quit complaining, its currently not a reality.

P.S. I don't know how much it would cost Apple to build.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Re: Perfect combination

Originally posted by Borg3of5
I would buy a minIpod if:

1. It cost $199 or lower,
2. It had a 6 GB capacity,
3. It had an FM/AM tuner built-in.
And if Apple offered a 6GB one with AM/FM tuner built-in, for $199, you would be asking for a 10GB w/AM/FM for $150.

You will never be satisfied -- always wanting more for less. However, there comes a time when one must purchase a device or forever be waiting.

I for one will be enjoying my mini iPod when I can get one here in Japan.

Apple is very competitive with their new mini iPod offering. And it will sell very well, iMHO.

...Enjoy your wait! ;-)

Sushi

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Re: Re: Perfect combination

Originally posted by sushi
You will never be satisfied -- always wanting more for less. However, there comes a time when one must purchase a device or forever be waiting.

I'm personally beginning to implement my new philosophy of buying things when I'm almost sure that their replacements are going to be announced within a week, so that I can feel maximally cheated and have a lot to vent about. :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: Apple known more for Ipod than Macintosh

Originally posted by maclamb

And they hint No New 20th Annivesary Mac - the celebration of 20 years was released at MWSF - the miniPod

Hmm, I suppose there could be some truth to that statement. After all, Apple re-did the original 1984 Apple add, and added in the iPod to the runner. Perhaps that was indeed to mark the 20th anniversary, and to celebrate it Apple released the mini iPod. Hmm, interesting theory....

I'd still like to think we'll see something else though in the next week. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.