Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
I feel that 249 is just too expesive when compared to 299 for a 15 gig - Just doesnt add up. I feel that a $50.00 mail in rebate will be appropriate.
well this topic has been beaten to death. do you go to the gym? the regular iPod is a little to big IMO in the gym which makes the mini perfect. its not a matter for storage size for everybody. heck i bet most people dont even have over a single gig of music in their MP3 collections. thats why i would like a SMALLER version like the other 1.5 gig players out there

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by slipper
well this topic has been beaten to death. do you go to the gym? the regular iPod is a little to big IMO in the gym which makes the mini perfect.

I have a 20 gig iPod and i use it at the gym all the time ... i don't have a problem with its size

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Perfect combination

Originally posted by Borg3of5
3. It had an FM/AM tuner built-in.

2. Had an FM/AM tuner built-in.

The small size of the miniPod is neat, but it HAS to have an FM/AM tuner.

Well, if you want an FM Tuner, there's always this. It's not built-in, but it's only $20. Works with the Mini, I believe.

But yeah, $199 is the sweetspot.

Penman

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
iPod Capacity hike?

I've been reading the boards a while and wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on the iming of bigger iPods. I had a 30gig unit which I sold because:

1) It was too small (there were no 40's when I bought it)

2) The battery was dying

Now I'm waiting for a 60gig plus unit that's capable of holding my entire record collection (I know - I have a lot of CD's.)

My other question regards quality. I hate having to compress my CD's. The bass dissapears (and I'm at 192K AAC's) and it's just a bad idea. Lossy compression sucks. There are a few lossless schemes, like Meridian Lossless Packing, that don't throw data away. Is there any chance Apple will give us the chance to truly copy our music losslessly? Also when are the new iPods coming?

Finally - does anyone agree that an iPod should be able to charge without a plug on the bottom (like my $150 electric razor) using an induction loop? They're cheap and might make the think a bit more weatherproof. Are we going to see bluetooth updating of playlists and - most important - smart battery charging (check out a Sony digicam if you've not seen how rechargable batteries should be handled) and replacable batteries?

I have a 17" G4 1 Ghz which I love. I think Apple make some great product. Please don't see this as any kind of flame. I'm just demanding and looking forward to having an iPod that I don't have to compromise my record collection to own (deciding waht to put on the 30gig was a constant pain).

I look forward to hearing some feedback.

Penman

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Bluetooth charging.

Nope - bluetooth charging isn't what I meant. I don't think thats possible. It's easy to charge something without plugging it in though. Just placing it on a pad. That way you could just sit your iPod on a pad and charge it. The same could (and should in my opinion) be done for the powerbooks. Kill the wires!

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Re: Bluetooth charging.

Originally posted by Penman
Nope - bluetooth charging isn't what I meant. I don't think thats possible. It's easy to charge something without plugging it in though. Just placing it on a pad. That way you could just sit your iPod on a pad and charge it. The same could (and should in my opinion) be done for the powerbooks. Kill the wires!

that might introduce a magnetic field, which would destroy the data on the iPod's HD.

electric razors don't have any magnetic media in them so they make sense for induction loop charging.

it's not a great hassle to manage your iPod's playlists in iTunes where you don't take your whole music collection everywhere.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Pricing

My question is: How long before iPods become walkmans in value. How long before I can get one for $20. How long before the next best thing comes along - and I'll be able to afford the third best?

Ok, honestly, I'd have bought a $150.00 even if it was only 1 gig. Later.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Re: Perfect combination

Originally posted by solvs
Well, if you want an FM Tuner, there's always this. It's not built-in, but it's only $20. Works with the Mini, I believe.

Has anyone tried this thing? How well does it compare to, say, the FM tuner on a regular Walkman?

je_wallace

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
Budapest, Hungary
iPod, iTunes & Nokia or a GSM Phone.

Is there any chance that Apple & Nokia or some other GSM mobile phone manufacturer might work together to develop a phone or transfer device or something so that I can download music from iTunes without needing a computer or modem connection to the iTune servers?

With 1 Billion mobile phone subscribers, it seems like that is a target rich environment which some company will enter some day....I just hope it's Apple, iPod & iTunes.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Re: iPod, iTunes & Nokia or a GSM Phone.

Originally posted by je_wallace
With 1 Billion mobile phone subscribers, it seems like that is a target rich environment which some company will enter some day....I just hope it's Apple, iPod & iTunes.

IIRC, iMode has a feature sort of like this in Japan.... You'd think, though, wouldn't you? :(

I'd guess someone has just got to come up with this in the next two years in the US....although, to be honest, I still buy CDs as well as iTunes songs, and I really don't need music so badly as to have to buy it from my phone. So I just want it cuz it'd be trick. Is that so wrong?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Any news on the timetable for a revision of the current crop of full-sized iPods, or a price drop?

The 10% sale over the weekend and the "$30 off $299" promotion going on now send up a little bit of a flag to me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.