Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In the opening scenes of the Wedding Date which was released on Feb 4, 2005 -- a bike messenger appears to be wearing an iPod Shuffle. Meanwhile, the iPod Shuffle was officially released on Jan 11th, 2005 at MacWorld Expo.

If true, this would mean the iPod Shuffle might have been floating around prior to the official release - unusual for the typically tight-lipped Apple.

If anyone has screenshots from the (still in theaters) movie, please post them.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
they probably made an arrangement (prerelease for shooting vs. advertising the shuffle).. obviously, there must have been strict contracts and such, or it could have actually been shot after the shuffle came out. (difficult, i know, but it is possible)

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Wasn't the PowerMac G5 in a 24 season before the actual release? It wasn't shown before, but they made shots while it wasn't out, I think.

Linnwood

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2005
I saw this movie on Friday night, and noticed the iPod headphones right away when they did a tight head shot on the messenger, and then was surprised when the camera pulled out to see the iPod Shuffle around his neck.

I mentioned to my girlfriend how they movie must have been made months before the iPod Shuffle was released. She just rolled her eyes.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Someone elsewhere (iPodLounge?) posted that it was just an iPod remote control. I don't know, personally.

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
u need therapy

sure, im a typical machead just like 99% of people on this site, but come on. Think of this now. Mac News Item: "iPod Shuffle might have been in a movie one month prior to release." "PowerMac G5 was introduced after Vanilla Sky." "iSight 2 years early." Think of how much Apple is revolving your life. Maybe you could classify this as an obsession. You guys are macaholics!

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
xy14 said:
sure, im a typical machead just like 99% of people on this site, but come on. Think of this now. Mac News Item: "iPod Shuffle might have been in a movie one month prior to release." "PowerMac G5 was introduced after Vanilla Sky." "iSight 2 years early." Think of how much Apple is revolving your life. Maybe you could classify this as an obsession. You guys are macaholics!

....and your point? :)

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
xy14 said:

Only on days ending in "y".

trtam

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2004
USA
Remote

it was a remote, cause it was hooked (or clipped around) the cord.

btw, i was forced to see that movie, thank you very much.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
trtam said:
it was a remote, cause it was hooked (or clipped around) the cord.

btw, i was forced to see that movie, thank you very much.

Hopefully not just to see whether or not it was a shuffle.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
It may have been added later - or is just not a shuffle after all. I don't know, I haven't seen the movie but I caught Debra Messing on a talk show, and the movie was filmed before she was pregnant.. and her kid's over 6 months old now, so it was a while ago. However, that one scene could have been filmed more recently.. but I'd think it would be weird to do that just for the shuffle. Who knows.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
xy14 said:

eh, its interesting things to note nonetheless, if you dont care for it thats fine, but this is interesting stuff, especially considering how privacy stricken apple seems to be, they dont want anything getting out ahead of time

metfuel

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2002
I know for a fact (no dates mind you) that the X-files used a copy of ichat A/V long before it ever hit the market for us. I'd have to see the episode again to see if they were using an iSight, cause I noticed the software they were using right away and was more excited about that than thinking apple would release a camera.

sakasune

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
isight in vanilla sky

i think i remember hearing that the "isight" in vanilla sky was just a cardboard model that they made for the movie.
now, if apple took that design for a product, i dunno....

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I doubt that Apple copied anything. Unless they have pained for product placement, they aren’t going to place products in obscure places. Perhaps we see what we want to see.

Hey, there is an iPod on Mars.
http://www.the-planet-mars.com/face-on-mars/high-resolution-picture.html
Squint and you will see it.
Apple was on Mars thousands or millions of years ago. There is proof. - Just squint.

Edit- by using NASA like enhancement, it is easyer to see on the attached file.

Attachments

• iPod_on_mars.gif
    iPod_on_mars.gif
    54.3 KB · Views: 594

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I thought the same thing when I saw the movie a couple weeks ago. I thought it was a shuffle, but I didn't ever really get a clear view of it so I didn't want to post something on MR about it.

Also, that was perhaps the worst movie of all time. And yes, I was forced to watch as well. I just feel bad for all the people that had to watch it on Valentine's Day. :(

Matt

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Eniregnat said:
Hey, there is an iPod on Mars.

There's more than that! Look what I found when I enhanced part of that image. Shocking!

macmini_on_mars.jpg

Someone get Art Bell on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.