Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an iPod Touch in 2017?

• Total voters

TheKeatonio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2017
Texas
Ok I am a tech reviewer and I always LOVE to get new kinds of technology. I have an "iPad Air 1", an "iPhone 7+" and a "MacBook". I am obviously integrated in the Apple ecosystem (They hooked me LOL) so I was wondering, SHOULD I BUY AN IPOD TOUCH? I have been with Apple so I still have (2) iPhone 4s(s) and (2) iPod Touch 4th gens (iOS 6 max). I would be using the iPod for easy gaming and music for when I'm working or while I'm cooking dinner. Please help me! Thanks!

Reactions: Ffosse

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Can't really speak for you, but I bought one in a June and love it. I bought a 128GB variant as a dedicated music player. I disabled iCloud and all features so it's super lean.

It's amazing thin and light.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Can't really speak for you, but I bought one in a June and love it. I bought a 128GB variant as a dedicated music player. I disabled iCloud and all features so it's super lean.

Still a great device by all means, even if the iPhone has superseded the iPod. I still think it has a huge advantage for those who want the 3.5 Jack.

Reactions: Appleaker

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I bought the 32GB model 6th gen. on the day they came out.

But I don't think that they are a good proposition now due to being slightly dated and the fact that phones (android and the SE) can cost nearly the same yet offer so much more.

The only iPod I have now is my shuffle.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I voted no because my Touch 6 is working great (my most used Apple product) and I see no reason to give Apple any more money.

After I see how the next IOS upgrade works on it, I may change my mind.
[doublepost=1504613657][/doublepost]
so I was wondering, SHOULD I BUY AN IPOD TOUCH?

I still highly recommend the Touch 6. Yes, an iPhone SE has a better battery but it still feels like you are carrying around two phones.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yes on the condition it got updated to the a10/ a11 with the power saving cores which would hopefully improve battery life for less intensive tasks like browsing. Also 2gb ram would be a welcome boost. When you want something that's 'barely there' for running or other forms of exercise, then any iPhone including the SE isn't a good replacement, not to mention a waste if you already have a mid/larger sized iPhone.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
I use my Gen5 64gb 24/7/365, especially since i work nights alone in a hospital. 12-hour shifts, 6 days a week can get rather boring, so I listen to podcasts/radio/music all night. The only issue is, multitasking while using music causes ram crashing; also, the only concern is not being to update ios9

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I'm actually tempted after the recent price cut. I tend to recommend people to use cheap Android phones for an "iPod," but many cheap Android phones doesn't support SD-cards larger than 32GB.

However, my techie inner-self tells me it's not wise to get an A8 device this late, and then there's the battery life issues that many have been posting here.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm actually tempted after the recent price cut. I tend to recommend people to use cheap Android phones for an "iPod," but many cheap Android phones doesn't support SD-cards larger than 32GB.

However, my techie inner-self tells me it's not wise to get an A8 device this late, and then there's the battery life issues that many have been posting here.
unless you're planning on playing high end games on it (which you aren't because as you alluded to, battery life ;)) it's not going to be an issue... even an a7 is still fluid pushing a 4" Retina display, so a slightly faster a8 with better GPU should be even better. What would you use it for, if just music and media you'll be fine, web browsing it's ok but battery goes quite quick, most apps still run fine, it will probably still be supported at least another two or three iOS cycles (and then probably still be ok on whatever ios it gets left on for another year or two). Don't think the sort of slowdowns that happened for devices running up to about A5 chips are an issue any more, the chips just have enough brute force and the increased demands of new versions are so minor now that it's the components degrading over time that's the bigger issue... for $/£/€200 still don't think you're getting a bad deal at all.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I would buy an iPod touch, but it’s pretty outdated, so I’d love an upgrade

For those talking about the iPhone above they sell an SE for $129 at Best Buy that can be used as a iPod

Reactions: determined09

sfkeepay

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
I use my 6th gen running 10.3 for legacy apps I still enjoy, like Nazi Zombies. But it's also my carry around for podcasts, Zello coms with my housemate, Ring doorbell notifications, and a variety of animation projects that I can work out quickly, generating frames in Art Studio and importing them into Animation Desk. It's great for flashcards and voice changer fun, and a super light music source for running and working out. Plus if anything happens to it, it's a relatively minor financial loss vs. trashing an iPhone. I love it.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I have kind of a love / frustration relationship with the 6G. It is a beautiful device and packs an amazing amount of capacity into a package that is smaller, thinner and lighter than any Apple iPhone. It is a delight to carry around when walking, hiking, biking and visiting the local pub. Can catch up on email and news via Wi-Fi, as well as email and podcasts. I also use it as a remote for the Apple TV and for my Yamaha AV components as well as taking the occasional photo. And it has full functionality on the latest OS - up to 11 at least. My wife has an iPhone SE which is small as phones go these days, but to me it feels like holding a brick compared with the iPod 6.

The downside, as you are learning, is the battery life. Abysmal. I keep it in airplane mode most of the time and have the screen at 30% brightness, but still need to recharge it every other day unless I'm just listening to music or podcasts that have already been downloaded.

But, for me, it is definitely worth having. As rumors of its demise continue, you might find some really good sales and maybe snatch one up at an impossible-to-resist price. It won't serve as your only Apple device, but you may end up liking it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
When a contract-free iPhone SE can be purchased new for $150, my answer would be: no. Even though I have a Touch, use it regularly, and enjoy it.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
When a contract-free iPhone SE can be purchased new for $150, my answer would be: no. Even though I have a Touch, use it regularly, and enjoy it.
I doubt Apple make multi million dollar product line decisions on best buy’s fickle cut-pride deals ;)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I literally just got back from an Apple Store. My trusty Gen 5 stopped picking up 2.4gHz wifi this week and suddenly the battery life is terrible. I think something has gone wrong internally but according to iFixit the battery is a real pain to change in the Gen 5. I bit the bullet and bought a Gen 6. It came out of the box with 10.3.2, and I think I'll leave it that way.

I basically use it for Audible, podcasts and music. Hopefully battery life will not be an issue, but it couldn't be worse than my poor old Gen 5.
[doublepost=1508699712][/doublepost]

Where are you seeing that? I see $449 for a contract-free, sim-free 128gb SE. That's 1.5x the price of the same size Gen 6.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I wouldn't buy an iPod Touch, but that's just me. When I'm out and about, I want my phone with me; and I'm not going to carry that and an iTouch. When I'm home, I have an iPad, and I'm not going to use an iTouch if I have an iPad with a bigger screen.

It'd make a lot of sense to me if I didn't have an iPhone and iPad already, but having both there's no real 'gap' there for me.

Reactions: ackmondual

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I wouldn't buy an iPod Touch, but that's just me. When I'm out and about, I want my phone with me; and I'm not going to carry that and an iTouch. When I'm home, I have an iPad, and I'm not going to use an iTouch if I have an iPad with a bigger screen.

It'd make a lot of sense to me if I didn't have an iPhone and iPad already, but having both there's no real 'gap' there for me.

The reason I still use the iPod Touch is because I want to take the use load for music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. off my phone. I admit that there's probably some diagnosis for that...but it's my money!

Reactions: ackmondual

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I still use archaic iPod Touch 4th gen for a few reasons. First, since I have a android phone, it serves as a good device for apple protected DRM content. Second, the size of my iPod makes it a lot easier for listening to music. Finally, my iPod serves as a great device for music because, my LG V10 has a overheating defect and, I'd rather use my iPod than risk overheating my V10 to the point which it bootloops (it overheats constantly).

Even though my 4th gen is extremely outdated, under-powered, has a shot battery, and now the home button has failed, since the newest iPod out is obsolete too, I'm going to repair the one I have (not the easiest job) and, save my investment for my next phone (which will be expensive since I want a unlocked model).

I feel the iPod Touch is on life support unfortunately. I'd be shocked if Apple released a updated model. If they did, I'd reconsider.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
I got an iTouch 6th Gen
Im super happy with it, the battery life is amazing, I cant seem to run out of storage, and of course, aesthetics is.... well apple level.
Definitely recommend

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.