Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an iPod Touch in 2017?

• Total voters

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
How much price of iPod touch 2017

The newest iPod is the Touch 6th gen. It was released in July 2015. According to the Apple website, the 32gb model is $199 and the 128gb model is $299.

Because earlier this year, they eliminated a few models, lowered the price, and, sales are cannibalized by iPhones, I think the iPod is sitting on death row.

Reactions: zeeshanshahid

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
Is this end of life for iPod Touch? Or do you think they will keep it and increase storage in 2018?

If the rumours for the next iPhone SE are accurate, it looks like Apple is really positioning it to take over from the iPod touch.

At the time of its release, the SE had the top-of-the-line A9 processor. Rumours are saying the SE update will only get a bump to the year-old A10. This could, perhaps, mean that it’ll be priced even lower than it currently is (especially if they keep the exact same screen and body) and make the iPod touch ever more unnecessary in their line-up.

The current iPod touch is 2 years old and its A8 will get iOS 12. The previous model was around for 3 years and was discontinued just before it no longer supported iOS updates. Thus, Apple really has no reason to update the iPod touch until mid-2019. By that time the SE could have received 2 price drops (March each year if they repeat what they did in 2017).

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
This thread was first started back in Sept. With only half a month left, I feel even more safe (if that was possible ) in saying NO.

I already have an Ipod Touch 5. It's going on 4 years old, but I stopped using dramatically around the 3.5yo mark. We're talking about 30 min. to hours daily, down to perhaps a few times a month. It's battery still goes down, noticeably, I need to recharge it only every 1.5 weeks as opposed to daily when doing heavier gaming.

I was going to get an IpT6 when it first came out to get updated on everything, but when I realized it still had the same, dinky, 4" screen, I declined. My first IpT was the IpT3. Every new one (IpT4 and 5) has been so I could get an upgrade to the screen (Retina and 3.5" to 4" respectively). I may get still one, but back then it was an "insta-buy", now it's gotta be less than $50, new, and for 128 GB storage, minimum.

For gaming, I've migrated over to a used Ipad Air that I bought half off as a sort of "midlife crisis", but I've been using it A LOT over the last year. I suppose it helps that THAT is on ios8, whereas the IpT5 is still on ios7. I miss being able to play games on the go (since the IpT5 is easily pocket able), but I have realized that I probably shouldn't be playing THAT many games on the road anyways.

For more gaming, I've also been buying more games for Android whenever possible

For music player, Ipod Classic, 80 GB. Having a tactile scroll wheel makes it usable without having to look at the screen, and while Iph, Ipod Touches, and Ipads have caught up in storage capacities, they're quite expensive. With everyone clamoring for Iph and Ipads, Ipod Classics have become "obsolete"/less desirable, which means if I have to replace it, I should be able to get it for fairly cheap.

j3T

Suspended
Feb 13, 2013
Although I have an iPhone X and 2 iPads, I still love my iPod Touch. I am an avid audiobook listener, and it houses all my audiobooks (straight transfer and with the Audible app). It's easy to take on runs and in the car or any other occasion that you don't want to use your other devices for. I really hope we'll see a new (and smaller) one in 2018.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
My 5th gen battery has gone to crap. It will say it is fully charged one minute but when I plug it into my car stereo it dies and then bootloops. I even do a hard reset which usually doesn't work. I have to plug it into a charger just to get the battery to get some power.

I really don't want to spend the money to replace the battery, plus it is only 64gb and I only have 3.6gb free. Plus the music player constantly crashes. And it used to not sync properly, I would get greyed out dotted circle songs, though that seemed to happen more with ripped CDs than iTunes music. I would have to do a full restore just to get everything to sync. And even then a bunch of album artwork didn't sync. But mysteriously a few weeks ago I was doing a sync to copy some new music and all of a sudden a ton of album artwork synced.

But I don't want to spend the money on a 128GB in hopes that they will release a 256gb but I am not holding out hope. I like the form factor of the Touch and I'd rather buy another one than an iPhone to use as an iPod but I suppose if worse comes to worse that is what I will have to do.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
I am considering an iPod Touch just to keep a toe in the Apple ecosystem. I have largely moved on to Samsung devices, but would like a device dedicated to music and podcasts while working out and hanging around the house.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I am considering an iPod Touch just to keep a toe in the Apple ecosystem. I have largely moved on to Samsung devices, but would like a device dedicated to music and podcasts while working out and hanging around the house.

I've noticed that (including myself) people who own androids sometimes also have a iPod Touch just to keep their hands into the Apple Ecosystem. They may not be the top of the line (every iPod Touch is always under-powered compared to the other models Apple releases each year) however, they provide a nice versatile small form factor device with good battery life.

Myself, I still keep my archaic 4th gen iPod Touch around to work out on the gym and, as a device to save some of my battery life from my fragile LG V10.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
I've noticed that (including myself) people who own androids sometimes also have a iPod Touch just to keep their hands into the Apple Ecosystem. They may not be the top of the line (every iPod Touch is always under-powered compared to the other models Apple releases each year) however, they provide a nice versatile small form factor device with good battery life.

Myself, I still keep my archaic 4th gen iPod Touch around to work out on the gym and, as a device to save some of my battery life from my fragile LG V10.

Thought about this more over the weekend... $200 is alot of money for the Touch, so I thought I would try to use an older iphone as my ipod while working out. I think it is a 5 or 6, but still runs fine.

However, this trial reminded me why I switched to Samsung from the iPhone. Bluetooth would drop off. Spotify stopped playing randomly. Audible app crashed three or four times. Gym's wifi would drop. Went out to the car to get my Note 8 and had no issues with any of these things. Apple has just become such a massive frustration for me, that I have decided to abandon the platform completely for at least a few years. Apple products look and feel great at first, but the guts are all bad.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Thought about this more over the weekend... $200 is alot of money for the Touch, so I thought I would try to use an older iphone as my ipod while working out. I think it is a 5 or 6, but still runs fine.

However, this trial reminded me why I switched to Samsung from the iPhone. Bluetooth would drop off. Spotify stopped playing randomly. Audible app crashed three or four times. Gym's wifi would drop. Went out to the car to get my Note 8 and had no issues with any of these things. Apple has just become such a massive frustration for me, that I have decided to abandon the platform completely for at least a few years. Apple products look and feel great at first, but the guts are all bad.
Maybe a hardware problem.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.