Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
hi,

im fairly new to this forum, as i just got my ipod touch.

i got the first gen ipod touch as it was cheaper :) and i heard you can jailbreak it.

honestly im really scared to try it, because i dont wanna break it or brick it? has it ever happen to anyone and is it easy to unbrick it?

also can u guys recommend me to the best tutorial/jailbreak method for the ipod touch.

right now im running version 1.1.5 (4B1) thats what it says..

i try installing the free app's from itunes and couldnt.. so i search up on google why, and i think u need to be running version 2.0 in order to get the free app's and the upgrade is 10 bucks..

now i rather jailbreak it and get free app/games =D, thats why im holding on the update because i dont think u can jailbreak it on the 2.0

so my question overall is, can u jailbreak a 1.1.5 version? can u show me a good tutorial? and what are the chances of me bricking the ipod?

Thanks!

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
so your telling me i have to update to 2.2, how do i go about doing this update?

should i do thought itunes? cuz as far as i know 2.0 version is 10 dollars for the ipod touch first gen =(

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
alright, so your saying look for the 2.2 download somewhere on google and with pwnage tool it should update it.

do u guys have any step by step reference into doing this process

i was reading this
http://guides.macrumors.com/Jailbreak_the_iPod_Touch

seems pretty easy, once its jailbreak how do i add programs/games/music/photos and videos? do i still use itunes?

Thanks!

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
alright man thanks a lot for the link ill read on.

do u think i might brick my ipod touch? if so is it possible to unbrick it?

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
alright imma give that a try, but the tutorial u gave me is for mac.. does that matter in any way? cuz im using windows?

and can u tell me what is cydia? is that the installer thats gonna be needed in order to run the 3rd party programs/games?

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
ohh, i see.

thats what i was confused about since theres some many programs lol.

so quickpwn is for windows

pwngtool is for mac..

whats the installer for?

and what about cydia what does that do?

what i basically want is to install app and games that i can download from a 3rd party!

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
PwnageTool and QuickPwn are for OS X. WinPwn is for Windows.

Installer sucks.

Cydia is the repository for jailbroken apps.

And you can't get App Store apps for free with jailbreaking, if that's what you're wanting. Most of the good games are already in the App Store, so jailbreaking today is for those who want features that Apple disallows us.

All of this could have been found with a Google search. Have fun.

jmann

macrumors 604
No quickpwn is for both mac/windows it is just a simpler less complex version of pwnage tool that is all. Installer was widely used on the iphone pre-version 2.0 but since 2.0/appstore debuted cydia gained popularity. It works basically the same as installer and is more widely used. You can download winterboard through cydia and apply themes downloaded from cydia. You should just open up cydia and play with it, there is lots of stuff you can do.

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
I don't understand what u mean by getting free app from the store? I know even after jailbreaking the store app won't be free but I wanna be able to download games and programs off a 3rd party website and upload them to my itouch ,all I want is not be able to pay up to 6 dollars for a game....
that's why I want to jailbreak but what are those options that apple disallowes?

jmann

macrumors 604
I don't understand what u mean by getting free app from the store? I know even after jailbreaking the store app won't be free but I wanna be able to download games and programs off a 3rd party website and upload them to my itouch ,all I want is not be able to pay up to 6 dollars for a game....
that's why I want to jailbreak but what are those options that apple disallowes?

To be honest if you just jailbreaking for games it isn't worth it. There aren't very many 3rd party games anyways. There are a TON of free games in the app store you can download.

ThunderBull4

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
PwnageTool and QuickPwn are for OS X. WinPwn is for Windows.

Installer sucks.

Cydia is the repository for jailbroken apps.

And you can't get App Store apps for free with jailbreaking, if that's what you're wanting. Most of the good games are already in the App Store, so jailbreaking today is for those who want features that Apple disallows us.

All of this could have been found with a Google search. Have fun.

Yeah you ...can.. get app store apps for free with jailbreaking... :rolleyes:;)

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
i just realised this, since i have the 1st gen. and want to update it to 2.2 or 2.0 i need to update it by paying itunes 10 dollars then i would have to use quickpwn to jailbreak it.. =\..

as of now my itouch is jailbroken version 1.1.5 i jailbreaked it with ziphone.. and it work, im using the installer.. but it doesnt have too many stuff..

as far as 3rd party stuff, there are warez website out there that have games like for example "crash 3d car race" that game is on the itunes store for 6 dollars, in this website they have a dl link i downloaded fine.. it was an .api file, the thing is i dont know how i go about installing that game into my itouch without itunes. =(

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
as far as 3rd party stuff, there are warez website out there that have games like for example "crash 3d car race" that game is on the itunes store for 6 dollars, in this website they have a dl link i downloaded fine.. it was an .api file, the thing is i dont know how i go about installing that game into my itouch without itunes. =(

The policy of this forum is we aren't supposed to help other people do this. You need to find forums where such help is allowed.

I do strongly advise you to upgrade to 2.x -- a lot of recent apps don't work on 1.x firmware, no matter what you do. It's well worth the $10, but if you don't want to do that, well... we aren't allowed to help you with that either.

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
oh no i totally understand.

i just wanted to head the right way.. as far as of now i have version 1.1.5 and yea a lot of app wont work with it.. even thoe its unlocked.

Now Tell me if these steps which probably gonna do tomorrow are okay?

1) Reset my Ipod to store new
2) upgrade it to 2.0 by purchasing it on itunes.
3) jailbreaking it with quickpwn
4) install app's/games!

Does that sound like good step to do.

when i mean app i mostly mean like the gameboy color/super nintendo emulator. im thinking of it twice about downloading the games like crash i might just buy them.

But my last question is, If i upgrade to 2.0 and jailbreak it. can my ipod touch still work with itunes? can i still download free and paid program throught itunes?

i mostly want the jailbreak cuz of the themes/emulators/etc.

jmann

macrumors 604
oh no i totally understand.

i just wanted to head the right way.. as far as of now i have version 1.1.5 and yea a lot of app wont work with it.. even thoe its unlocked.

Now Tell me if these steps which probably gonna do tomorrow are okay?

1) Reset my Ipod to store new
2) upgrade it to 2.0 by purchasing it on itunes.
3) jailbreaking it with quickpwn
4) install app's/games!

Does that sound like good step to do.

when i mean app i mostly mean like the gameboy color/super nintendo emulator. im thinking of it twice about downloading the games like crash i might just buy them.

But my last question is, If i upgrade to 2.0 and jailbreak it. can my ipod touch still work with itunes? can i still download free and paid program throught itunes?

i mostly want the jailbreak cuz of the themes/emulators/etc.

Yes your iPod will still work with paid/free apps from the itunes store. It will also sync normally too.

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
alright, well

hey thanks a lot for all ur feedback, really appreciate it.

just one last question, Do all app/game on itune store work with ipod touch 2.2 G1? because i saw this app i forgot what it was and it said compatible with ipod touch 2g but that was the only one all other say compatible with iphone/ipod touch version 2.2 or it says version 2.0..

and so on

ill be doing this hopefully tomorrow

Thanks once again.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
just one last question, Do all app/game on itune store work with ipod touch 2.2 G1? because i saw this app i forgot what it was and it said compatible with ipod touch 2g but that was the only one all other say compatible with iphone/ipod touch version 2.2 or it says version 2.0..

No. Some apps need speaker and/or mike, and the first gen Touch does not have them. Then there are some apps that need the phone and/or GPS features to work, so those only work on the iPhone. These restrictions are clearly marked in the app store, so pay close attention to them if you are buying any paid app. Free apps, you can just download them and iTunes would simply refuse to install them on your Touch if they are incompatible with it.

Manikstor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
how would i go about knowing if its compatible with the 1G?

im guessing as long as it says Compatible with Ipod Touch Vrs. 2.0, or Ipod Touch Version 2.2, it would work? it just doesnt have to say Ipod Touch 2G, Correct?

another thing let say if i have version 2.2 and a app or game from itunes says compatible with ipod touch Version 2.0, would it work with the version 2.2 even thoe the app or game is a lower version, So basically are lower version app compatible with the new 2.2?

Thanks!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
how would i go about knowing if its compatible with the 1G?

im guessing as long as it says Compatible with Ipod Touch Vrs. 2.0, or Ipod Touch Version 2.2, it would work? it just doesnt have to say Ipod Touch 2G, Correct?

another thing let say if i have version 2.2 and a app or game from itunes says compatible with ipod touch Version 2.0, would it work with the version 2.2 even thoe the app or game is a lower version, So basically are lower version app compatible with the new 2.2?

Thanks!

To be honest, there are so few apps that are compatible with gen2 Touch but not with the first gen, that I can't find an example of one in the app store. If it says "Compatible with iPhone and iPod Touch," that means it's compatible with all devices, including the first gen. If it says anything else, it most likely isn't compatible with first gen.

And yes, apps that say they work with 2.0 should work with 2.2. I do have one app that got a bug that the developers are blaming on 2.2, but it's just a minor bug, not like the app doesn't run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.