Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, when my dear iPod mini dies (i.e. the battery no longer holdes enough juice to get me through the day), hopefulley not in a year yet, I'm actually planning on replacing it with a Shuffle.

My only hope is that in all this colour screens, photo viewer, bluetooth capability and new games that Apple doesn't chew over too much and forgets what the iPods are and should stay as: A very good music player!

I'm gonna be really pissed if I, when going to buy a shuffle a year from now, gets a device that includes bluetooth capability, gps tracker, a camera, laserpointer, 128 3D games, a vacuum cleaner and refrigirator...

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Makes my Gold mini even cooler!

I love my Gold mini... named it "Goldmember" :)

My brother got a Green one which according to a stat I saw once was the next least popular color. (Pink's pretty popular I think)

I don't mind... it just makes them even cooler!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
to be FRANK i'm not bothered if it has a colour screen or not. i dont sit on the bus or walk or run whilst looking at photos or videos. give me a music player and im happy...

which is why phasing out the regular iPod will piss me off. i dont want to pay an extra £100 or so for something id rather not have (colour screen)... hell my reckoning is they should drop the iPod Photo name and just call it the regular iPod and price it the same as its monochrome brethren. haleluja!

as soon as my 15gb 3rd Gen iPod dies im jumping to iPod Mini. a pink one dammit :p i only play about 3gb out of the current 12gb filled on my 'pod. ho hum

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
Thinner iPod?

Until Apple introduces a 60GB (or larger) iPod that is as thin as my current 40 GB click-wheel, I have no intention of upgrading. IMO, The current 40 and 60 GB photo iPods are just too bulky!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
jcshas said:
Until Apple introduces a 60GB (or larger) iPod that is as thin as my current 40 GB click-wheel, I have no intention of upgrading. The new 40 and 60 GB iPods are just too bulky!

Yeah, that extra .06 of an inch (1.5mm) is OUTRAGEOUS! I am barely able to wrap my hand around it! ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
actually that iPod Photo is a bulky beast.

your making it sound like 1.5mm isnt a lot but if a 1.5mm blade was in your brain then you'd know about it... or if a bullet just missed a major artery by 1.5mm.

;) alright ill be quiet

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
These iPod updates don't really do anything for me. I have a 3G 40 GB iPod which is no longer used, and I'm considering replacing it with an iPod shuffle. My usage patterns don't really warrant a full-blown iPod.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
raggedjimmi said:
actually that iPod Photo is a bulky beast.

your making it sound like 1.5mm isnt a lot but if a 1.5mm blade was in your brain then you'd know about it... or if a bullet just missed a major artery by 1.5mm.

;) alright ill be quiet

It really is a matter of personal preference, but I don't understand how people can be so passionately opposed to the extra bulk. I think it's negligible. Especially when you consider they added another 20GB, a color screen and a longer-lasting battery into that extra 1.5mm!

And there was the construction guy in Colorado recently who had a 4 INCH nail in his head and the only way they found out was he started getting a toothache. Hmm...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
If the new ipods get BT and the mini doesn't I think I'll save up a bit longer for the ipod...as long as they all go colour.

Well hopefully less than a day to go before we find out...

eliamx

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2004
New York City
iPod Lineup

Last I heard, Apple was going to reduce the various iPod models. Here's my lineup prediction:

iPod Shuffle 512mb $79
iPod Shuffle 1GB $129

NEW iPod Mini 4GB (only in silver) $199
NEW iPod Mini Color 6GB(Available in 4 colors; red, blue, white, and black) $249

NEW iPod 30GB COLOR $299
NEW <font color=red>Michael Jackson</font> iPod Black & White Special Edition $349 30GB :D
NEW iPod 50GB COLOR $399
iPod 60GB Color price drop $499

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
eliamx said:
Last I heard, Apple was going to reduce the various iPod models. Here's my lineup prediction:

iPod Shuffle 512mb $79
iPod Shuffle 1GB $129

NEW iPod Mini 4GB (only in silver) $199
NEW iPod Mini Color 6GB(Available in 4 colors; red, blue, white, and black) $249

NEW iPod 30GB COLOR $299
NEW <font color=red>Michael Jackson</font> iPod Black & White Special Edition $349 30GB :D
NEW iPod 50GB COLOR $399
iPod 60GB Color price drop $499

haha thats just funny , well i've been guessing for ages now ! so i'm gonna wait it out
50gb??? wheres that one come from and where is the 80gb pod?

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
eliamx said:

iPod Shuffle 512mb $79
iPod Shuffle 1GB $129

Not to get too off-track, but :rolleyes:

Disagree on Shuffle reductions...they can't make enough to come close to supply yet, per Toshiba's press release today on Reuters. I ordered mine in Janurary, and am still waiting, but hopeful.

Prior reports think the supply will catch up by March, but they'd be crazy to reduce prices on shuffles. Looking at the competition, it's hard to see why you would buy anything else if that's enough music space.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
My guess/wishes

Shuffles..no change... no comment on supply problems

iPod Mini 4GB $199 (mono chrome)...until stock sold...continue silver only maybe
iPod Mini 6GB $249 (colour) - same colours unfortunetly/ no BT

iPod 20 Gig Colour $299
iPod 40 Gig Colour $399
iPod 60 Gig Colour $499

But
I am not convinced we will see all iPods with BT 2.0
or
new coloured of more metal faced shells, as has been predicted/leaked.

I think we will see BT and new iPod look in 5Gen in the middle of the year, as per TS's info...which is going to be very frustrating when these same models might also come out for the same price in only a few months.

im_noahselby

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2003
Canada
runninmac said:
NO MORE GOLD ONE!!! im T.O.ed well it looks like i will have a "vintage collectors item" in 10 years. But everything else seems shweeeet!

I wonder if Apple will replace the gold model with a new cool colour...

Noah

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
My ideal line up would be:

iPod photo:

60GB iPod Photo ($449)
40gb iPod Photo ($349)
A 80GB model later in the year

New features:
-Win- many camera's memory cards appear as mass storage devices (in Explorer), iPhoto photo should do too-similar to how the iPod shuffle is miunted when used as a flash drive. Sync with other photo organisers (eg. Jasc PSP Photo Album, ACDSee, Microsoft Digital Image Suite's DigitaL Image Suite)-instead of just Adobe products supported.
No BT support
iPod :
20GB and 40GB iPod with color screens
SE editions- U2, Michael Jackson, John Mayer (he has appeared at Apple keynotes, perhaps preloded with some of his music). HP:Gwen Safani, Not likely Nickelodeon (not likely at all, but would be cool),
My SE edition idea would be a Invader ZIM iPod
20GB, in green/ silver back
(well, there are DVD's, action figures, etc and there is a iPod mini that is green and love the show)

Available in the current style, different colors (green, brushed metal look?)
iPod Mini 5/6GB current price and color screens
iPod shuffle as is

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
aafuss1 said:
My ideal line up would be:

New features:
-Win- many camera's memory cards appear as mass storage devices (in Explorer), iPhoto photo should do too-similar to how the iPod shuffle is miunted when used as a flash drive. Sync with other photo organisers (eg. Jasc PSP Photo Album, ACDSee, Microsoft Digital Image Suite's DigitaL Image Suite)-instead of just Adobe products supported.

Actually that feature is sorta a must for the next gen of iPod Photo. Its a big flaw considering the competition have machines that can direct link USB to cameras to download and view right away. Thats the way it needs to work with iPod Photo to really justify the price and name. Here's hoping...

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
hmmm I was more or so hoping for a 5th generation iPod... my 3rd gen has about a 4 hour battery life. My little sister really wants me iPod too... so I was hoping for a 5th generation. a 30 gig 5th gen iPod would be awesome compared to my 15 gig 3rd...

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
If that was the plan, then the shuffle would have a price drop, or the 4 GB mini will be discontinued. C'mon - 50 bucks more you get 3 GB and a screen...???

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
liketom said:
haha thats just funny , well i've been guessing for ages now ! so i'm gonna wait it out
50gb??? wheres that one come from and where is the 80gb pod?

Black iPod-there is one already, the U2 iPod-http://www.apple.com/ipod/u2/

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
dark and light side

Blue Velvet said:
Where's my 80gb iPod? That's what I want to know, dammit.

Take some duct tape, two 40gig iPods and a splitter stereo jack - voila a trailer park 80gig iPod

Never forget: Duct Tape is ALOT like "The Force" - it has a light side and a dark side and holds the ability to bind the universe together! :eek:

Cheers -

Irie Jedi

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
ThinkSecret chimes in...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0502ipods.html

....insider information points to six new colors making their debut. Pricing on the new mini is said to be $199...

Unknown is whether the new price points will represent the fifth-generation of iPods or if they are a sequential update and price cut to the existing iPods; we suspect the latter.

Perhaps an iPod for my girlfriends birthday? Still doesnt seem like enough for my 40GB 4G to be replaced, but a step towards bluetooth and games.

-TJ

dongmin said:
wow. New line:

ipod photo 60GB $449
ipod photo 30GB $349 (!!!)
ipod mini 6GB $249
ipod mini 4GB $199
ipod shuffle 1GB $149
ipod shuffle 512M $99

Raising the price of the base line iPod would be a bad move. And I don't see much point in having two ipod mini lines.

wait... it was kinda implied, but... who said the classic was being discontinued? It would make a wierd product line, or maybe they'd add photo capabilities, but... there is no way they get to raise the price of the ipod, ever, and 30-60 gigs is huge, anyway. Plus, there could be a really nice 50 bucks up will get you.... sales technique here.

How's about:

ipod photo 60 GB - $449
ipod straight up 40 or maybe 60 GB - $399
ipod photo 30 GB - $349
ipod straight up 20 or maybe 30 GB - $299
ipod mini 6 GB - $249
ipod mini 4 GB - $199
ipod shuffle 1 GB - $149
ipod shuffle 512 MB - $99

that would be perfect. Consistant, makes the photo just a 50 dollar feature, keeps the ipod solid, takes the mini from a step behind (specs only, of course) to a step ahead, and makes the no screen complaints on the shuffle a lot easier to deal with-just a little more for a screen, actually how much we thought the shuffle would be anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.