Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
dotdotdot said:
If that was the plan, then the shuffle would have a price drop, or the 4 GB mini will be discontinued. C'mon - 50 bucks more you get 3 GB and a screen...???

C'mon, for 50 bucks more than the iPod mini you get an extra 16 GB... ???

;)

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
I thought that there was a previous rumor of 6gb drives being made for the mini?. So why are so many predicting a 5gb mini - seems like a pointless 1gb upgrade. My vote is for this rumor, with the 6gb mini. Regardless, I previously predicted the upgrades would be this week, but I was hoping for today! Oh well. Rock on iPodders!

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just got a 4G 20gb from my dad (he wanted an iPod, he got my old one and I traded up) If an update comes with photo capabilities, I would run to the Apple Store and drop $50-100 to re-upgrade.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
dotdotdot said:
If that was the plan, then the shuffle would have a price drop, or the 4 GB mini will be discontinued. C'mon - 50 bucks more you get 3 GB and a screen...???

Everyone said that for the extra 10 GB when the mini first came out and it sells better than the regular iPod.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
dontmatter said:
wait... it was kinda implied, but... who said the classic was being discontinued? It would make a wierd product line, or maybe they'd add photo capabilities, but... there is no way they get to raise the price of the ipod, ever, and 30-60 gigs is huge, anyway. Plus, there could be a really nice 50 bucks up will get you.... sales technique here.

How's about:

ipod photo 60 GB - $449
ipod straight up 40 or maybe 60 GB - $399
ipod photo 30 GB - $349
ipod straight up 20 or maybe 30 GB - $299
ipod mini 6 GB - $249
ipod mini 4 GB - $199
ipod shuffle 1 GB - $149
ipod shuffle 512 MB - $99

that would be perfect. Consistant, makes the photo just a 50 dollar feature, keeps the ipod solid, takes the mini from a step behind (specs only, of course) to a step ahead, and makes the no screen complaints on the shuffle a lot easier to deal with-just a little more for a screen, actually how much we thought the shuffle would be anyway.

BIG marketing mistake to mix high end features in a lower end model and not include them in a higher end model. At whatever point they go color, every model above that will be color with maybe the exception of the high end mini and the low end regular iPod.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
New iPod mini @ 6GB with Colour Screen. iWant. :)

iPod Photo @ 30GB and 60GB, not really interested yet.

iPod mini original @ 199. :eek: forget the Shuffle I am giving those as gifts. ;) :)

The Shuffle looks like a rotten deal now, unless you go to the gym often. :)

damgpro

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2004
nyc
Oooh

these changes sound pretty sweet, and on my bday too :D

To bad I already have an ipod, I might've gone for an ipod photo at that price.

Jakob

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2005
This sounds like a reasonable move to me. All-color screens are now viable since the price has come down on them so much, and dropping the 40GB iPod to 30 allows a lowering of the price even further. I look for the 4GB b&w mini to be sold at $199 until they sell out, and the 20GB b&w iPod to be sold at $299 or less until they're gone. That leaves...

iPod shuffle - 512MB - $99
iPod shuffle - 1GB - $149
iPod mini - 6GB color - $249
iPod - 30GB color - $349
iPod - 60GB color - $449

Nice price points vs. feature set if you ask me. The iPod Photos were simply not selling at the old price points, due to high price AND confusion with standard iPods. Good move on Apple's part to simplify the line. Hopefully the new mini and iPod full-size models will also include BlueTooth, but perhaps only the full-size will.

BryanSeven

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
The sad thing is, i was about to order a gold ipod mini today.
i guess i will have to go with some other pland colour :( .
i was going to get "goldfinger" inscribed on it.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
m-dogg said:
I really don't think they'd introduce a 30gb ipod photo since there are already 40 & 60gb models. I don't think they've ever replaced an existing model (like the 40) with a lower sized hard drive (like the 30). Even if they were cheaper.

shows what I know, huh? oh well... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.