Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
I have an iBook G4 1.42GHz and I want the MacBook Pro sooooooo bad. But, money is a huge issue.

So let's say I get
$1,150 for my iBook
$150-200 for my iMac G3 500MHz/256MB/80GB/Graphite
$130 for my iBook G3 300MHz/160/3GB/Tangerine
$300-ish for my Compaq SR1010v/1.5GB/80GB/Win XP PRO SP2/2.7GHz
$110 in the bank​

That's roughly around $1890. The thing costs $1,911 with edu discount.

Do you think it's worth it to go through all that trouble to get a MacBook Pro?

Oh, btw, I'd get the stock 1.67 dual.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Well let's factor this in... would you miss all those Macs (plus a Windows box, just noticed) if you ended up selling them? Also do you really need them or are they just taking up space at the moment?

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I don't think it's worth it for you. I realize you're using some older machines, but save up your cash and then make your buy. I think you'll be much happier and you'll have a goal to work toward. Plus, by the time you get the cash, maybe another rev will be out that's even better. Lastly, you can take the time while you're saving to read about other's experiences (good and bad) and make a more informed buying decision when the time comes to make your purchase.

Just my opinion. :D

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
p0intblank said:
Well let's factor this in... would you miss all those Macs (plus a Windows box, just noticed) if you ended up selling them? Also do you really need them or are they just taking up space at the moment?
All three of them are in my closet. :eek:

iBook isn't being used (300MHz)
iMac G3 isn't being used - just like there, I don't need it
the PC hasn't been used really at all since August.

:eek:

iDM

macrumors 6502a
lilstewart92 said:
I have an iBook G4 1.42GHz and I want the MacBook Pro sooooooo bad. But, money is a huge issue.

So let's say I get
$1,150 for my iBook
$110 in the bank​

I'd have to say no....you have a 1.42 iBook now that probably handles everything you throw at it. I would wait till at least the next revision in case they make any changes that you would seriously regret. I bought the Rev. A Alum Pb 15" and although I was playing with fire I made out ok. I had the white spot issues which Apple later replaced free of costs.

I just think you could last until the next Rev and still be happy with your machine as is. I am not sure of the ram you have but you could always toss in a gig ram stick and feel the speed bump which should keep you happy till they release their next machines.

On top of everything you wouldn't get you machine till Feb. anyway.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
p0intblank said:

Yeah, I think that's a good point. If you aren't really fully utilizing those other systems, and if this new MacBook would become your main computer and meet all of your needs and requirements, I would say this might be a good opportunity to clean house, free up some money, and invest it in a new Mac. The MacBooks are a significant improvement over the G4 PowerBooks as well, so it's not like you'd be selling the farm just for a new yet marginal update - with a major update like this one, that's when you want to think about making a purchase, so I think you should seriously consdier picking a new MacBook up. I doubt you'll regret it. :cool:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Seasought said:
I don't think it's worth it for you. I realize you're using some older machines, but save up your cash and then make your buy. I think you'll be much happier and you'll have a goal to work toward. Plus, by the time you get the cash, maybe another rev will be out that's even better. Lastly, you can take the time while you're saving to read about other's experiences (good and bad) and make a more informed buying decision when the time comes to make your purchase.

Just my opinion. :D
Yeah, I guess that's true. but, I want to save for a car, too. So i'm thinking that if i sell all the computers I don't really use, I can have just 3. iMac G5, iBook G4 1.42 - server, broken screen, and a MBP.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
If they are all in your closet and not being used for anything, then I say sell them. How confident are you with using a rev. A machine? I would get the MacBook Pro if I really needed, but I'm already on a nice machine as it. :) Another question: what do you generally do when on your Mac? Any processor heavy tasks?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
iDM said:
I just think you could last until the next Rev and still be happy with your machine as is. I am not sure of the ram you have but you could always toss in a gig ram stick and feel the speed bump which should keep you happy till they release their next machines.
I've maxed it out, I've got 1.5GB, and I video edit.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
p0intblank said:
If they are all in your closet and not being used for anything, then I say sell them. How confident are you with using a rev. A machine? I would get the MacBook Pro if I really needed, but I'm already on a nice machine as it. :) Another question: what do you generally do when on your Mac? Any processor heavy tasks?
Most used apps are: Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, Photoshop CS, Dreamweaver, iChat, iTunes, Safari, Mail, AppleWorks, and the Office Suite.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
p0intblank said:
Oh wow, you're up there with the apps! :p So you do need a high-end machine... I don't know. Just do what feels right I guess.

Do you think the prices I listed in my first post sound accurate?

i'm not sure what to ask for for the PC, as I don't do PCs anymore, just Macs. :D

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
lilstewart92 said:

So let's say I get
$1,150 for my iBook
$110 in the bank​

Brand New stock 1.67 15" PB are only getting $1250-1500 on ebay so you will get much less for your machines now that the intels are out. Lets all hope that resale on older models rebound.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
lilstewart92 said:

i'm not sure what to ask for for the PC, as I don't do PCs anymore, just Macs. :D

If you get 1100 bucks for your iBook, I'll mow your lawns all summer.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
You will have to pay a ****load for new apps right? or upgrades? and they aren't even available yet...

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
lilstewart92 said:

The iBook's price may be a little high, but you never know with eBay. There are a lot of people out there who just bid and end up being happy with it. :p I think the iMac G3 may go for a little lower... but again, you never really know. Either way, good luck with it!

Wait a minute... ever consider the new iMac? In my opinion, better specs for better price! Or do you need portability?

MattyP

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
San Francisco
Remember the Rev 1 rule my friend...

Whoa whoa whoa! Caution! I just saw the macbook in action at Macworld.... It is all that and a slice of toast... It is an awesome machine, and it took all the will power in the world not to just pounce on it, but remember it is a rev one, and there is more to come from Apple such as intel based replacements for the i book line, which might give you a really good bang for less bucks.

My advice is wait until rev two, that way if there are no problems with rev one and it's what you want, you can take advantage of price breaks as they move to rev two. Or if rev two comes out with design improvments like a camera integrated into the display, for the same price as the rev one, you wont feel like you missed out.

At least wait and see what's released at Macworld New York!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Just out of curiosity, how does one afford Final Cut Pro, a several hundred dollar app? But not a MacBook Pro?

I think you should hold off, You wont be able to really run your apps until march, when the Universal versions come out, and then it may be an upgrade charge.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
p0intblank said:
The iBook's price may be a little high, but you never know with eBay. There are a lot of people out there who just bid and end up being happy with it. :p I think the iMac G3 may go for a little lower... but again, you never really know. Either way, good luck with it!

Wait a minute... ever consider the new iMac? In my opinion, better specs for better price! Or do you need portability?
I need the portability, unfortunately.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Koodauw said:
Just out of curiosity, how does one afford Final Cut Pro, a several hundred dollar app? But not a MacBook Pro?
My dad has the Unlimited install, i seriously don't know what it is, but, he asked if i wanted to install it and i said yes and he installed it on my machines.

That's how I started to video edit. And i've gotten quite good at it!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
MattyP said:
Whoa whoa whoa! Caution! I just saw the macbook in action at Macworld.... It is all that and a slice of toast... It is an awesome machine, and it took all the will power in the world not to just pounce on it, but remember it is a rev one, and there is more to come from Apple such as intel based replacements for the i book line, which might give you a really good bang for less bucks.

My advice is wait until rev two, that way if there are no problems with rev one and it's what you want, you can take advantage of price breaks as they move to rev two. Or if rev two comes out with design improvments like a camera integrated into the display, for the same price as the rev one, you wont feel like you missed out.

At least wait and see what's released at Macworld New York!
See, the thing is that I want to get as much money as I can before my retail value goes absolutely down the drain when the macbooks get released (ibooks?), so I want to sell ASAP.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2005
lilstewart92 said:
Yeah, I guess that's true. but, I want to save for a car, too. So i'm thinking that if i sell all the computers I don't really use, I can have just 3. iMac G5, iBook G4 1.42 - server, broken screen, and a MBP.

If you are saving up for a car why can't you just sell the ones you don't use, just keep the iMac G5 and the ibook, and save up. Why do you need 3 computers?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
jennysbelly said:
If you are saving up for a car why can't you just sell the ones you don't use, just keep the iMac G5 and the ibook, and save up. Why do you need 3 computers?
Well, here's the thing. My parents are divorced. The G5 is at my Mom's and my G4 iBook is my laptop that gets primary use at my dad's and transfers files between the G5 and G4. The other computer, the iBook G4 was trashed by my step mom and she got me a new one and now the broken 1.42 just sits in the closet and acts as a server + print server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.