Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
I already have a replacement battery (original one, replaced by Apple) in my iPhone X and despite its health is still at 90%, I don't really have great battery life anymore. I remember that the first battery at 90% heath was still very good though. So I was wondering if it makes sense to replace it once more since the second battery doesn't nearly provide the battery life I used to get with my first battery.
Any experiences?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
If it was me I wouldn’t waste my money on a second battery replacement.

Plus apple won’t replace your battery if it isn’t at 80% battery health.

I’d consider upgrading to a iPhone 13/13 pro if you’re looking for good battery life.

Also keep the iPhone 13 pro max in mind, it’s a beast when it comes to battery life, no other phone comes close.
1646207439326.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: Boyyai

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
I'm pretty sure they do. I replaced my battery when it was at 83%. However, they do recommend when it when it's below 80%.
And yeah, the battery life of the iPhone 13 is so much better than my iPhone. But I'd be happy with the original iPhone X battery life and am still super happy with the phone. Therefore I don't feel the need to upgrade it when it's only because of the battery.

jenelemond

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2022
I already have a replacement battery (original one, replaced by Apple) in my iPhone X and despite its health is still at 90%, I don't really have great battery life anymore. I remember that the first battery at 90% heath was still very good though. So I was wondering if it makes sense to replace it once more since the second battery doesn't nearly provide the battery life I used to get with my first battery.
Any experiences?
No if I was you I would never do it! Better have a new iPhone instead of replacing the battery! It like once its done can't be undone like a situation! ?

jenelemond

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2022
I'm pretty sure they do. I replaced my battery when it was at 83%. However, they do recommend when it when it's below 80%.
And yeah, the battery life of the iPhone 13 is so much better than my iPhone. But I'd be happy with the original iPhone X battery life and am still super happy with the phone. Therefore I don't feel the need to upgrade it when it's only because of the battery.
then better use it till the 80% then you can upgrade to the next phone!

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

If you are happy with your iPhone X, you really should keep it and upgrade the battery whenever you see fit.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Seems like you got your heart set on keeping your iPhone X.

I know our local apple stores in ?? won’t replace a battery unless it’s reached 80% battery health or the battery is faulty.

Guess it wouldn’t hurt asking  for a battery replacement.

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
I have an Xs with 80% never replaced, no warnings yet, still gets me through the day with medium usage, 5-6 hours of SOT.

If it's a genuine Apple battery and has 90%, it's virtually new, you'll get no gains by replacing, look for problems elsewhere, maybe something is draining your battery.

Unless there's something else wrong with the battery, but it's definitely not capacity related.

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
Any experiences?

Me.
3rd battery replacement for my lovely i7.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Honestly, I think battery replacement is worth it if battery health is 85% or below. Above 85%, I think the gains are too small for the time/money invested in.
For light users, it can be replaced around 80%, below 80% I would definitely change the battery or upgrade the phone.

If battery is truly an issue with 90% battery health I would suggest going for a new model in september 2022 or get a 13/13Pro/13ProMax at a good discount (don't go mini) since big improvement have been made in battery department from iPhone X (especially since 11 series, big battery upgrade for the whole line up, it became pretty good for most users)

rub3n

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
I am thinking about doing the same. My Xs Max is sitten at 89% no replacements yet. But a brand new iphone 13 pro max, that would be my choice. is 1200+ euros, while a new battery is around 70 euros. So everyone saying like buy a new phone, yeah ofc sounds logical, but in my opinion you should swap the battery. Way cheaper and why upgrade if you are still happy with the phone.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I’ve not been in the situation of having to replace a battery or buy a new device, but I think the cost alone would make me pick the battery option. Unless, of course, I was sort of kind of thinking of getting a new phone, anyway. In which case I’d probably sell the old one or see if there’s a family member who wants a “new” phone.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The problem isn’t the battery. The problem is iOS 15 on older devices. Replacing a battery that’s at 90% won’t be noticeable.

• Haha

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
The problem isn’t the battery. The problem is iOS 15 on older devices. Replacing a battery that’s at 90% won’t be noticeable.
That's kind of what I suspected since my iPhone X on its first battery at 90% in like 2018/2019 wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. But why is it that older phones have worse battery life on newer versions of iOS? Simply because they are more power consuming?

Reactions: Ram65

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Still on my 8+ first battery bought at launch. 79% after 4.5 years - not too shabby. Battery life is significantly reduced but still gets me through the day. Based on the behavior of my 5S/4S, these are good until the battery drops below 70-75% where it will begin dive into the 50s and wont last 1 hour off the charger.

Will be replacing the battery to keep using touch ID as face ID is complete garbage and barely works when you're being lazy lol (have it disabled on my ipad since most times, it wont work and goes to passcode anyways) Phone runs fast enough for me so no need to spend $1K+ when i can spend $70.

As for battery life, newer OS tend to have more stuff which takes more power to run. I reckon they're also less optimized on older devices. Anyways, if it gets the job done, id go for the battery but not now. The X should be supported for a few more years and 90% health is solid

Last edited:

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Any experiences?

What kind of a plan are you on? it might be worth checking if swapping your carrier would get you a new iPhone for free. I see iPhone X as a cutoff for qualifying for either $800 or $1000 credit when moving a line from one carrier to another on all three big carriers.

I am in a process of doing that myself for my daughter. She has been with ATT prepaid and I will be moving the number to my brother's Tmobile plan and as a result she will get a brand new iPhone 13 after trading her X and the monthly line cost will only be $5 more. She for sure does not need a brand new phone, but the phone is also on the 2nd battery and it is due for another replacement, so at the end it will cost me less to get her switched than getting a replacement battery.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
That's kind of what I suspected since my iPhone X on its first battery at 90% in like 2018/2019 wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. But why is it that older phones have worse battery life on newer versions of iOS? Simply because they are more power consuming?
I would upgrade to the 13 pro you’ll get much better battery life and better reception with your carrier with the updated modem and all around more efficient phone . Treat yourself you deserve it ?

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Apple will replace your battery at any battery health % if you pay. They just won't do it for free with AppleCare.

Reactions: clevins

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
13 pro would be a pointless buy, no real difference, I compared my Xs and 13 Pro hand in hand, and felt no point in upgrading just for the camera which is also, let's be realistic - only a phone camera, and on top of that in 6 months 14 series is coming out, which according to rumors will have no notch and other maybe this time perceptible differences.

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
I mean.. this is a pretty easy decision tree...

Issue: Battery life.
Options: 1) replace phone, 2) replace battery, 3) live with current situation.

Are you willing and able to upgrade?
If yes, upgrading will bring you more runway, likely better performance and of course a new and better battery.
If no, can you live with the current battery life? If yes, do so. If no, replace the battery.

There are side issues - is there anything in particular sucking down battery life (Facebook app, etc)? Again, simple. IF so, can you live without that app?

We can't make the decision for you. We don't even know what you mean by "I don't really have great battery life anymore..." or what if anything you've done to troubleshoot why the battery life is less than you'd like.

Second vs Nth replacement is irrelevant.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
iOS 15 runs fine on my iPhone X, so not a problem. If you are unhappy with battery life though, you could check for things that might be using battery in background and turn them off.

Neverless

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2021
Maybe you're using your phone a bit more? Even 30 minutes of an GPU or Data intense app can reduce you battery 15-20% making it feel insufficient.

I have an XS with the original battery and still have some juice left at the end of the day. Maybe your battery has an issue? Was it replaced at an authorised service?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Sometimes, replacement parts aren't as good as the original.

For example, BOE was originally only allowed to supply Apple with display panels for refurbished or repaired iPhones.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Maybe you're using your phone a bit more? Even 30 minutes of an GPU or Data intense app can reduce you battery 15-20% making it feel insufficient.

I have an XS with the original battery and still have some juice left at the end of the day. Maybe your battery has an issue? Was it replaced at an authorised service?
Yes, it was replaced at an Apple Store.
I'll keep an eye on the battery usage by app data, maybe there are some apps that cause the battery to drain faster. I haven't download any new in a while, but you never know.

I mean.. this is a pretty easy decision tree...

Issue: Battery life.
Options: 1) replace phone, 2) replace battery, 3) live with current situation.

Are you willing and able to upgrade?
If yes, upgrading will bring you more runway, likely better performance and of course a new and better battery.
If no, can you live with the current battery life? If yes, do so. If no, replace the battery.

There are side issues - is there anything in particular sucking down battery life (Facebook app, etc)? Again, simple. IF so, can you live without that app?

We can't make the decision for you. We don't even know what you mean by "I don't really have great battery life anymore..." or what if anything you've done to troubleshoot why the battery life is less than you'd like.

Second vs Nth replacement is irrelevant.
The question wasn't if I should replace the battery or not, the question is why the second battery is worse than the first one at the same battery health percentage and therefore if it even makes sense to replace it once more or if the iPhone with the newer iOS isn't capable of getting the battery life that I used to get anymore.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Does Best Buy replace batteries and considered good ?

Apple Store is far away :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.