Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder are these issues geographical related? Humid climates like Ireland might have more issues. Less humid places like California for example, less issues. My current AirPods Max set started to experience pops and other issues experienced before (in other sets) and I had to restart/reset them. Thinking that it could be air humidity, I put them on a 22°C (72°F) plant heat pad/mat for a few hours and the issue went away for a few weeks. This trick has worked for me a few times in the last 2 months. Note: These headphones are only ever used indoors in my house. Never have been used outdoors. Running firmware 6A324.
As it has been mentioned by many others before, it has nothing to do with climate or humidity levels. The aluminum itself causes this: it is colder than the surrounding air or your body temp. The condensation is caused by your body temp. The moist warm air hits the aluminum casing and the temp difference causes the air to condense on the inside. It’s just physics.

jeffirl

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Ireland
As it has been mentioned by many others before, it has nothing to do with climate or humidity levels. The aluminum itself causes this: it is colder than the surrounding air or your body temp. The condensation is caused by your body temp. The moist warm air hits the aluminum casing and the temp difference causes the air to condense on the inside. It’s just physics.
Mildly warming (22°C) them up on a pad for a few hours has removed/fixed the issue, multiple times. Maybe others could try this and see if it makes any difference.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
At the same time, I had these since launch and had zero issues related to condensation. There were many days and long-haul flights when they got pretty drenched on the inside.
do you use them every day? and if so, for how many hours at a time?

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
if Apple allowed Apple Care for AirPods to be extended monthly and past the initial 2 years like the Watch or iPad it would be more helpful than the current $300 to replace out of warranty option.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
do you use them every day? and if so, for how many hours at a time?
I used to wear them a lot daily until I got AirPods Pro 2nd Generation last fall. I stopped using them altogether since that mesh had stretched too much and now the metal band is too uncomfortable on my head. However, up until last fall, I would say they were on my head almost daily from 2 to 4 hours at once. There were also long-haul flights where I would have them on for 8-10 hours non-stop. I have never had any sound issues with them.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Hopefully future versions of AirPods Max will not have this issue
considering Apple never fixed the Mac Mini's WiFi and Bluetooth interference issues in over a decade makes me doubt they will change anything

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Day one units still going strong. Use them most nights for movies on Apple TV and on the treadmill for 30-45 mins each day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.