Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple launched AirPods Max in December 2020, many users almost immediately flagged concerns about a build-up of condensation when the wireless headphones were worn for a prolonged period of time. Two years and eight months later, the issue may have become so entrenched that some users believe it is causing units to fail.

airpods-max-condensation.jpg
Image credit: Donald Filimon

Tech news outlet 404 Media has published a report highlighting several complaints from AirPods Max users across Reddit, YouTube, Twitter (now X), and Apple's Support Community where water droplets have formed inside the over-ear headphones due to humidity. In some cases, users claim that the droplets have migrated inside the speaker holes, causing water damage to the drivers.

For example, a pinned post on the AirPods Max subreddit claims that "most hardware issues originate from condensation issues," which can lead to "AirPods turning off randomly, refusing to connect, refusing to play audio, needing restarts and factory resets to work, losing audio quality,” and other problems.

The report alleges that after one of the hottest summers on record, the problem is so frequently resulting in malfunction or complete failure that some afflicted users have come to refer to it as "condensation death." To mitigate the problem, some users have reportedly gone so far as to tape up the pin hole to prevent water ingress, or regularly clean the connections, which are arguably things a consumer should not have to do to keep the headphones in working order.

Interestingly, 404 Media highlights a class-action lawsuit in California that was brought against Apple two years ago by plaintiffs arguing that "a latent and material defect causes condensation to accumulate inside the ear cups of the AirPods Max, often after only an hour or several hours of normal use."

The plaintiffs have been reportedly negotiating a settlement with Apple over the last few months. While Apple has not disputed that condensation can accumulate inside the cups, its lawyers have argued that this is "simply more noticeable" than it is in other brands of over-ear headphones, since AirPods Max ear cups are magnetic and removable.

Regardless, the lawyers stated that "Apple repeatedly tells customers that its new high-end, studio quality AirPods Max headphones 'aren't waterproof or water resistant' and 'not to get moisture in any openings.'"

Apple's lawyers also dispute what "normal use" of AirPods Max are, according to the report, and have argued that the plaintiff has omitted details about when the condensation issue occurs, implying that their self-described "walk" may have constituted strenuous exercise more akin to "an arduous hike up the hills of San Francisco to Twin Peaks." Apple's lawyers have also taken issue with excerpts cited from online forum comments, which they say "show that users who claim to have experienced water damage often were exercising with or wearing their headphones for prolonged periods."

Despite these reports, there are still many AirPods Max users who have noticed condensation build-up who have not experienced performance issues as a result. In addition, as 404 Media notes, there are no eBay listings for water-damaged AirPods Max. Meanwhile, inquiries with aftermarket repair businesses have not found evidence of an influx of AirPods Max repairs, although that could well be because faulty units have simply been repaired by Apple. Either way, the full picture is far from clear.

Are you an owner of AirPods Max? Have you had issues with the headphones that you believe occurred as a d... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Is AirPods Max 'Condensation Death' a Widespread Issue? Report Offers Conflicting Evidence

jamesikanos

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2023
Yes !!! I'm on my 3rd device (2 replacements).

After a while they just refuse to connect.

The first replacement went through Apple Online, the second they refused and I had to take it into a shop.

Got a new pair back both times.

The ones I've currently got (replaced earlier this year) have started to struggle to connect now.

Completely unacceptable for such an expensive bit of kit.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
Yes !!! I'm on my 3rd device (2 replacements).

After a while they just refuse to connect.

The first replacement went through Apple Online, the second they refused and I had to take it into a shop.

Got a new pair back both times.

The ones I've currently got (replaced earlier this year) have started to struggle to connect now.

Completely unacceptable for such an expensive bit of kit.
At least they replace them, so at least the customer service works. But of-course failures can happen, but three in a row to the same person ...

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I want to personally thank @arn , the editors, and MacRumors in general for giving visibility to this generalized issues, just like they did with the staingate or the issue with batteries.

Putting this news on the front page spreads awareness of problems that may be more generalized than we thought, and adds pressure to Apple to admit them and put in place replacement programs.

Arek2217

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Poland
I personally didn‘t have any issues with them so far but I don’t think I’ve used them in conditions which would foster that.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
"You're sweating it wrong" ;)

Or "Obviously owners are at fault here. If they adapted their body temp to match the environmental temps around them, there is no condensation. Consistency holding body temp at about 98.6º is the actual problem. Cold-blooded lizards have no such issue. Ever heard the Iguanas complain about this? Turtles? Toads? Crocs? Their temps rise and fall with their surroundings. It's these dang warm-blooded bipeds that spoil everything. Bipeds both cause this problem and then dare to complain about it. Apple would be better off..." ;)

Lizards.jpg

If only we could go back 65 Million years + a few weeks and give that asteroid a little shove to the left or right on its approach to make it miss the target. Modern day Dinos would never complain... 🦎

Last edited:

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
They’ve been great for me, but if I use them 6 hours strait I notice condensation.
If used for short periods is totally fine.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.