Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_head

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
Day 1 owner here. I use my AirPods Max mainly for gaming with my PS5. So far Iā€™ve experienced some condensation but nothing major (I take little brakes every 2 hours and take the headphones off). The condensation disappears in a matter of minutes.

However, I always wonder why people wear them at the gym or on a treadmill. I think you can easily ruin the AirPods Max when used in the ā€œwrongā€ environment. Apple should be more clear about that.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
This is actually kind of gross; if there is that much condensation built up insideā€¦ imagine the mold growth. I use on-ear headphones, they have the benefit of being open on the sides, they donā€™t cover your entire earā€¦.hence they donā€™t have any such condensation problem. Putting an air-tight seal around your ears just seems like a bad idea Long term.

AppelGeenyus

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2019
Ok let me rephrase. I forgot people would be pedantic about it.

Nobody wins a class action except the lawyers. You getting 15 cents isnā€™t justice IMO.
Class actions are not just about monetary compensation for individuals, they are also to hold companies accountable and force them to do better going forward.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
I find this bizarre.

I've owned several sets of APMs, often used them for 2-3 hours at a time, occasionally longer if watching a movie too. I'm a guy who naturally sweats a lot anyway, but condensation was never a problem. Even when my ears felt hot after wearing them for a couple of hours and taking off the pads to check, I never saw any, not a single drop.

So I find it odd that there are multiple complaints about this. Even if they did cause condensation, you would have to create a LOT of condensation for there to be sufficient amounts for the liquid to run and cause permanent damage to them.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
However, I always wonder why people wear them at the gym or on a treadmill. I think you can easily ruin the AirPods Max when used in the ā€œwrongā€ environment. Apple should be more clear about that.
Yeah I find it strange people use APMs at the gym or out running. They're heavy, they're expensive, and although they're very well made the metal cups are easily prone to scratching if dropped. Then you've got the apparent condensation issues some users have which would obviously be made much worse with exercise. APMs are not gym headphones.

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Took 13 posts to get to "You're [blank]-ing it wrong." I think that, and the equally tired "Safari feels snappier" memes should be retired. Sadly, someone will always think that they're clever and drag them out.

Oh, and the equally tired "I'm complaining about tired Apple-bashing memes" should be retired, too. I suppose I think I'm being clever. Thirty-nine years of listening to Apple-bashing has taken its toll.

dannys3693

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2018
I don't own any AirPod Max headphones - I nearly did - in fact, I would like some. But I refuse to spend that amount of money on them, whilst this issue exists. I would rather wait for next release, which will inevitably be waterproof! I wonder if Apple have considered how many other people are aware of this issue but aren't buying them, 'just in case', or are waiting for v2.

Pasqualem

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2021
I notice slight condensation in mine occasionally. Have had mine since a few months after launch. They did start having connection problems last December but thankfully AppleCare sent me a replacement, which must've been a refurbished model because the telescoping arms were awful compared to what I was used to. I called AppleCare again they let me keep that pair and sent me a brand new box with the quality I expect from apple. Gave the defective max's to my friend who wasn't familiar with how the arms should be so it went unnoticed.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
Theyā€™ve been great for me, but if I use them 6 hours strait I notice condensation.
If used for short periods is totally fine.
I need to take them off my head after 30 minutes.
They are heavy and they drive me nuts they feel so uncomfortable.

Wearing them for 6 hours.... you are like Frodo Baggins honestly.

I love the sound though.

Rradcircless

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
It feels great and sad to read this article. I recently got my fourth pair of replacement AirPods Max, and none of them lasted more than a year each.

Iā€™m happy to know what the problem is finally. I guessed at all sorts of things and it made me afraid to use my AirPods Max, which I love. I use them for gaming, music production, general media.

I guess Iā€™m lucky that my AirPods never outlasted the warranty and I got new units after they gave out. Isnā€™t it pretty pathetic these things canā€™t even last a year? Still, itā€™s harrowing when they switch off while ON my head.

Maybe Iā€™ll have to start wiping my AirPods down going forward.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
They clearly list it in their chart on the website. It says AirPods 3rd Gen and AirPods Pro 2nd gen are sweat and water resistant while AirPods Max is not.

macsimcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Nobody wins a class action except the lawyers on both sides. You getting 15 cents in a settlement while the company admits no fault isnā€™t justice IMO. šŸ™ƒ

The point of the class action is to make consumers whole, deter future illegal conduct, and mete out punishment for the illegal conduct, in that order. It's true that the attorneys are richly compensated, but the consumers don't have to pay a dime or take any risk, the attorneys do it all. Obviously, some class actions are more effective than others.

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
Mine work fine, but recently I noticed the ear cushions have what appears to be mold growth on them. I looked for condensation a few times after first reading about this issue and never found anything, but obviously there was condensation forming. I only used them outside once and never when working out, so Iā€™m not sure how it happened. New ear cushions are so expensive that right now theyā€™re sitting unused. The next generation needs to address this for me to even consider them again.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Yeah I find it strange people use APMs at the gym or out running. They're heavy, they're expensive, and although they're very well made the metal cups are easily prone to scratching if dropped. Then you've got the apparent condensation issues some users have which would obviously be made much worse with exercise. APMs are not gym headphones.

I'd never consider wearing them even for a walk outside if the temp was above 70F. Why would I want to get sweat on my $500, heavy, explicitly NOT sweat-resistant... when there are 4 different models of sweat-resistant Beats that are great for working out, and have most or all of the AirPods "magic."

Whenever I see someone working out in APM's, I put them in the same mental category as people who run with their phone in their hand. Just take 5 minutes to think of a better solution... just b/c you did something yesterday, doesn't mean you have to do it the same every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.