Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's a really good price, I have the Gen1 and I'm happy with it, When I went to buy the machine, I got near the top end, i.e., 4k screen 1TB storage 32GB of ram (even though I don't need that much). While I could have configured the ram lower, the shipping was faster with the stock configuration. I wanted the 4k as ell, but now after using it for a year, I find that 4k on a 15" form factor isn't ideal and a FHD screen might be better.

Overall I have no regrets and after seeing some of the complaints with the 16" MBP, I'm content staying away.

I honestly believe that there is a genuine disorder called Apple Derangement Syndrome, and it's out in full force for the 16" Macbook Pro. Please believe me when I say that. I had the most absolutely terrible Apple experience until I got a 16" Macbook Pro, iPhone 11 64 GB, Apple TV 4K 64 GB, Apple Pencil(1st gen), and iPad Mini 2 256 GB. I had to take my first ever Apple computer in for repair nine times, and after that I did not touch Mac hardware until this 16" MBP. That's a decade of rage towards Apple dispelled by the quality of the 16" Macbook Pro. I have gone through two models of the 16" Macbook Pro. The 16" $2399 base config model, and the $2799 base config model. The only possible downside to this laptop is the fact that the half-size keys, like Esc, and the arrow keys need to pressed in the center to register as having been pressed. But that's such a non-issue. I don't hear coil whine, speaker popping, insufficient screen quality(I prefer using the 16" MBP screen to my 27" 1440p 144Hz gaming monitor), and the keyboard backlight is just fine and I see no problem with it.

It stands to reason that one would expect perfection at an experience that starts at $2399 straight from Apple, but none will ever exist. That EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Black 8 GB dGPU I bought over the summer should not have been dead on arrival with its horrifying amount of problems. I paid $800 for it! For a video card! EVGA is the most highly regarded maker of Nvidia GPUs for Christ's sake. But the fact is, no matter the cost, in order to meet demand, there will be issues that are just downright unavoidable given the demand that these corporations have to meet. Apple is the most successful tech company in the world and they did not get that way by not having enough product to sell. Would I have preferred a BTO option to cut a few buckaroos off by not having a Touch Bar? Yes. Would I have preferred a cut down 5600 or 5700 in this $2799 machine? Yes! And naturally, the debut of iOS 13 and Catalina made it resoundingly clear that Apple had put meeting a deadline before providing a solid experience. But the same can be said of any operating system.

Windows 10 did not meet the expectations of Windows 7 diehards. I find no issue with Windows 10 beyond wanting a baked in option to disable what my system shares with Microsoft instead of using a solution like ShutUp!, but what can I do? I for one had the horror of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition thrust on me as a teenager. It was terrifyingly bad. And before that? While everyone was enjoying Windows 2000? I had to suffer through Windows Millennium Edition. I had a Macbook Pro that I depended on for college between 2007-2009 die nine freaking times on me. They finally relented and gave me their new unibody model that had just come out. It wasn't good enough for me. I sold that unibody Macbook Pro on Craigslist so quickly after I received it. And I gotta say, the issues people have supposedly been having with the 16" are either the ramblings of insane people(and I would know as I am on disability for PTSD/major depressive disorder after one too many guns in my face at work), or they are so minor as to not justify the furor being raised about them. and I say that as a person absolutely not stuck in the reality distortion field that the Apple community is well known for.

You clearly don't need a new laptop if you've got the 15" Thinkpad X1 Extreme(Gen 1). The Nvidia Geforce 1050 4 GB is a very stellar card. And if you use headphones with your Thinkpad? It's terrible bottom firing speaker system will have no bearing on your experience. Although, I do share your frustration about the 4K display being wholly unnecessary in a 15-17" laptop. Not only does that resolution chew up battery like it's bubble gum, but it's 4K on a 16" screen! I mean, what's the point!? It's why I'm so flabbergasted by people lamentng the lack of one on the 16" Macbook Pro. The only thing I would like to see in my 16" MBP is window splitting like is present in Windows 10. I do not want to have to go into full screen mode just to have to windows open side by side across my display, lol.

Reactions: maflynn and Meuti

Meuti

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019
(...) The only thing I would like to see in my 16" MBP is window splitting like is present in Windows 10. I do not want to have to go into full screen mode just to have to windows open side by side across my display, lol.

A bit off topic, but have you tried pushing alt while hovering over the green full screen button?

Edit: Back on topic: I do have that ADS you were talking about :eek: While some things annoy me lately I am still not sick of Apple at all and hope it will just take some time for things to work properly.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
A lot of people are making a big deal about the integrations.

what are you guys doing that requires the integration?

Airdrop? Airplay?

Thoseare two I use very occasionally. But it’s not like I couldn’t live without them. They are neat. But I just have trouble believing they are indispensable for very many people.

Actually, two people I‘m thinking of that made a big deal of the integrations in this thread implied They were kind of new to the platform. Maybe after awhile the wow factor will wear off?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
A lot of people are making a big deal about the integrations.

what are you guys doing that requires the integration?

Airdrop? Airplay?

Thoseare two I use very occasionally. But it’s not like I couldn’t live without them. They are neat. But I just have trouble believing they are indispensable for very many people.

Actually, two people I‘m thinking of that made a big deal of the integrations in this thread implied They were kind of new to the platform. Maybe after awhile the wow factor will wear off?
It's not only about specific functions. It's like having the same computing environment in every device you use.
Personally I use AirPlay extensively. I also like the fact that I receive my SMSs and iMessages everywhere. That I can phone from my Apple Watch. That I can choose to answer an incoming call everywhere. That when I take a picture I can see it everywhere.
Many features to mention, but even better is the feeling that I can use my devices and all my important information will be available.

This kind of integration is not possible on a different platform. I have tried but I failed...

Reactions: levander

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It's not only about specific functions. It's like having the same computing environment in every device you use.
Personally I use AirPlay extensively. I also like the fact that I receive my SMSs and iMessages everywhere. That I can phone from my Apple Watch. That I can choose to answer an incoming call everywhere. That when I take a picture I can see it everywhere.
Many features to mention, but even better is the feeling that I can use my devices and all my important information will be available.

This kind of integration is not possible on a different platform. I have tried but I failed...

While I would agree with you in the past. I find myself in a very conflicting mindset as of late. Apple’s software has got worse over time, the bugs in IOS and MacOS releases are annoying to say the least. But the other point is that the competition are catching up.

Integration can be found on other platforms. Look at the Samsung Galaxy Watch and the phones, the watch can be used separately from the phone but the watch can receive txts and calls as well as the phones. That’s on par with the Apple Watch and iPhone.

I currently own the iPhone 11 Pro Max and the Apple Watch series 4. One of my friends recently jumped from an Apple Watch to the Samsung S3 Frontier Watch. He says it’s better than the Apple Watch ever was, and he uses it with his iPhone.

Reactions: robogobo

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
While I would agree with you in the past. I find myself in a very conflicting mindset as of late. Apple’s software has got worse over time, the bugs in IOS and MacOS releases are annoying to say the least. But the other point is that the competition are catching up.

Integration can be found on other platforms. Look at the Samsung Galaxy Watch and the phones, the watch can be used separately from the phone but the watch can receive txts and calls as well as the phones. That’s on par with the Apple Watch and iPhone.

I currently own the iPhone 11 Pro Max and the Apple Watch series 4. One of my friends recently jumped from an Apple Watch to the Samsung S3 Frontier Watch. He says it’s better than the Apple Watch ever was, and he uses it with his iPhone.

I am not saying that there is no competition, but it's not catching up. Samsung doesn't have a desktop OS and thus cannot offer the same integration as Apple does. Only Microsoft could do it, but they failed in mobile..
If you want to have a tight integration between everything you use, then there is only one choice. I wish it was different. I tried Microsoft's solutions many times but they are half baked, exactly as Samsung's are..
There are many small examples and small details that make the Apple platform better. I agree though that the last release was very buggy, but still Apple is on a different level than the competition.

Reactions: Dave245

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
2019 was a horrible year for Apple software. Even they seemed to take note and have made some oraganizational changes - not sure if that will help but there's less and less reasons to stick with apple :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Windows 10 did not meet the expectations of Windows 7 diehards.
I'm generally happy with windows 10, its been stable fast and I do like the customization ability that can be done in windows that doesn't exist in macos. For my, a windows machine is better because, of the apps I use, the windows versions are simply better

You clearly don't need a new laptop if you've got the 15" Thinkpad X1 Extreme(Gen 1). The Nvidia Geforce 1050 4 GB is a very stellar card. And if you use headphones with your Thinkpad? It's terrible bottom firing speaker system will have no bearing on your experience.
Correct, I don't need a new one, and you're right the GPU is very capable. I picked up a EGPU, along with RTX 2060 Super and that's kicked things up to a higher notch.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I am not saying that there is no competition, but it's not catching up. Samsung doesn't have a desktop OS and thus cannot offer the same integration as Apple does. Only Microsoft could do it, but they failed in mobile..
If you want to have a tight integration between everything you use, then there is only one choice. I wish it was different. I tried Microsoft's solutions many times but they are half baked, exactly as Samsung's are..
There are many small examples and small details that make the Apple platform better. I agree though that the last release was very buggy, but still Apple is on a different level than the competition.

Im waiting for Surface Neo and Duo to see what Microsoft are going to bring to the table. Personally I really like what I’ve seen from Microsoft with the Neo and Duo so far.

Granted that doesn’t mean it will be good, we have only seen the event and no one has had hands on with the software. Windows 10X could be really good, or really bad. The same with the Android software they will use on the Duo.

I do agree that when it works, it works well with Apple’s ecosystem, I’ve got the iPhone, Mac, iPad Pro, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Airpods and Homepod. I’m very much in the ecosystem, however I have noticed the cracks starting to appear in the software.

I just wish Apple would do more, for example Samsung has split screen with the Note 10, S pen and so on. Apple could easily do split screen on the Pro Max and enable Apple Pencil support. The same with customisations, they could easily do it they just don’t.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Im waiting for Surface Neo and Duo to see what Microsoft are going to bring to the table. Personally I really like what I’ve seen from Microsoft with the Neo and Duo so far.

Granted that doesn’t mean it will be good, we have only seen the event and no one has had hands on with the software. Windows 10X could be really good, or really bad. The same with the Android software they will use on the Duo.

I do agree that when it works, it works well with Apple’s ecosystem, I’ve got the iPhone, Mac, iPad Pro, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Airpods and Homepod. I’m very much in the ecosystem, however I have noticed the cracks starting to appear in the software.

I just wish Apple would do more, for example Samsung has split screen with the Note 10, S pen and so on. Apple could easily do split screen on the Pro Max and enable Apple Pencil support. The same with customisations, they could easily do it they just don’t.
Microsoft doesn't have the services in place to compete on all levels with Apple. Microsoft's business is not the consumer anyway. Microsoft makes money from its Cloud and Server offerings.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Microsoft doesn't have the services in place to compete on all levels with Apple. Microsoft's business is not the consumer anyway. Microsoft makes money from its Cloud and Server offerings.

That could change with Neo and Duo!

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
@petvas Explained the integrations better than anyone I’ve ever seen. And that’s kind of why I feel stuck on the Apple platform. Consistency of the UI and data syncing across devices. I support my mother’s computing habits. And she was basically middle aged before computers were useful for more than word processing, spreadsheets, and games. So I put her on Apple stuff figuring I’d have to teach her less and she could enjoy more of modern computing abilities. But the device she uses most often is her Apple TV. And it’s probably what Apple has done the worst with. After she broke two Siri remotes, she wouldn’t even let me get her another one. She insisted on getting one without a touchpad because even though she couldn’t explain it, she had basically figured out the touchpad confuses her, So I got her a $10 GE universal remote and she loves it. The GE remote doesn’t even have all the functions of the Siri remote, like you can’t do voice control. And there Are a couple of buttons that don’t map. But it’s close enough. And she doesn’t have to put up with that stupid touchpad. There are a coup!e of other things about Apple TV, but this paragraph is already long enough.

basically I agree with the consistent UI across devices being a big deal. But Apple could do a much better job so easily if they weren’t worried about exotic things like a touchpad On a remote.

I actually personally really like the touchpad. But it’s confusing to people who don’t adapt quickly to new technology. It’s just Too much of a departure from what people are used to. And it doesn’t rewind and fast forward the video smoothly, which makes it even more confusing for novice users.

@Dave245 Makes a good point about Samsung’s phone and Samsung’s watch. But the phone and the watch aren’t the main thing for most people. It’s the phone and the tablet. Does Samsung even have a tablet? If they do it’s probably a ChromeOS one and I haven’t heard good things about those, with all the apps running in the browser...

Microsoft has the desktop and a tablet aimed at business users. They don’t even have a phone. But I bet Microsoft is the first competitor to catch up with Apple. If Microsoft caught up in three years though, I would consider that ridiculously fast. It probably won’t even happen in five years, because Microsoft doesn’t even seem to be trying to compete as a general purpose consumer computing platform. They still have a monopoly on the desktop for consumers. But it doesn’t seem like they’re currently trying to expand from that position.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
he integrations better than anyone
No arguments, but my year away from Macs has taught me that you adjust. I found myself just as efficient and productive on my Thinkpad as I was on my MBP, in fact, I'd say more so.

Microsoft doesn't have the services in place to compete on all levels with Apple.
And vice versa, Apple doesn't have the services to compete with MS on all levels. Both are focusing on different market segments so its silly to compare them with such broad strokes. Yes, there's overlap and MS has some really nice consumer products. They're embracing an integrated environment differently then Apple is. With Apple you have to buy their hardware to enjoy the integration. MS is providing the software/services across disparate platforms. I'd say the MS solution offers more flexibility and provides people with choice.

But I bet Microsoft is the first competitor to catch up with Apple.
Depends on how you look at it, you can make the argument that MS has surpassed apple.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
[USER=844776]@Dave245 Makes a good point about Samsung’s phone and Samsung’s watch. But the phone and the watch aren’t the main thing for most people. It’s the phone and the tablet. Does Samsung even have a tablet? If they do it’s probably a ChromeOS one and I haven’t heard good things about those, with all the apps running in the browser...

Microsoft has the desktop and a tablet aimed at business users. They don’t even have a phone. But I bet Microsoft is the first competitor to catch up with Apple. If Microsoft caught up in three years though, I would consider that ridiculously fast. It probably won’t even happen in five years, because Microsoft doesn’t even seem to be trying to compete as a general purpose consumer computing platform. They still have a monopoly on the desktop for consumers. But it doesn’t seem like they’re currently trying to expand from that position.

Samsung does have a tablet (Tab S6) granted it looks like they copied the 2018 iPad Pro design. I'm not saying that Samsung or anyone else is better at making tablets, phones or computers. I'm all in on the Apple ecosystem, the last thing i want to be doing is calling Apple out or bashing them about things. However i have to be honest, and as of late it seems like they have and are dropping the ball when it comes to software and bugs.

With regards to Microsoft, i personally really like the look of the Neo and Duo. I think if they get it right, they could have a game changer on their hands just like Apple did with the iPhone. I can't say that will certainly be the case, it will all depend on execution and how Microsoft implement it.
The Duo will be a phone, Microsoft haven't called it that, but it will be able to take calls and txt messages.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I hope Apple come out with some great stuff this year! but i also hope that Microsoft execute the Neo and Duo correctly. I really want them!

Pwolfgirl

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2020
Let me start by saying I am not your typical Apple hater. I have been what most have called a "fanboy" for decades. In fact, my first computer in college was a Macintosh SE with a 20Mb hard drive and small black and white screen. Many years later, I have had 5 iPhones, 6 iPod touches and 3 iPads. So far, all have basically been relegated to the scrap heap due mostly to the IOS upgrades. Apple failed to warn me that upgrading would basically render my devices useless. Yes, shame on me for continuing to upgrade, but I always like to push them to the latest cool features, and tend to be an early adopter.

I am happy to stop when it makes sense, but every time, I am too late and can't find a way to retrograde. My last straw was the 8.1 update on my iPad 2. It was working great until I upgraded from 7.x Now, it hardly works- struggling to render pages and acknowledge touches.

I looked at the Apple forums and found that many, many people are experiencing the same thing- even some on more recent iPads. What really ticked me off was Apple's pulling of the 7.x software for downgrading. Even those who had been able to download it complained that most of the apps would no longer work once they moved back to 7.x.

I know it serves Apple's purpose- make the experience so bad, people now need to buy another to continue having the experience they've grown accustomed to- but at the same time, it diminishes trust and has caused me to seriously consider breaking the long-held standard of Apple products in my house. My son who experienced a similar issue on his iPod just placed an order for a Google Nexus because his iPod, though working, is basically useless.

Not sure the best recourse, but wondering if I am alone in this and you see it as only my issue? or is Apple culpable in this and should stop alienating customers by virtually disabling their devices they've come to love?

Would not surprise me to see a class-action on this one at some point...

I'd love your thoughts.
ABSOLUTELY SICK OF THEM!!!! I have been using Apple since the 80's, and FYI, all the problems with the keyboard and track pad STILL exist. I bought a new MacBook Pro 11/19....keyboard and pad pure crap!!!!!

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
ABSOLUTELY SICK OF THEM!!!! I have been using Apple since the 80's, and FYI, all the problems with the keyboard and track pad STILL exist. I bought a new MacBook Pro 11/19....keyboard and pad pure crap!!!!!

The problems still exist since the 1980s?

There's way too much hyperbole in your one short post for me to take it seriously. Glad you created an account just to vent your spleen this way.

If you hate the company this much, then why on earth did you buy a brand new model so quickly?

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
And vice versa, Apple doesn't have the services to compete with MS on all levels. Both are focusing on different market segments so its silly to compare them with such broad strokes. Yes, there's overlap and MS has some really nice consumer products. They're embracing an integrated environment differently then Apple is. With Apple you have to buy their hardware to enjoy the integration. MS is providing the software/services across disparate platforms. I'd say the MS solution offers more flexibility and provides people with choice.

It’s fine if you want to make a case that Microsoft, or anyone is catching up with Apple as far as integration across devices goes. I would love to see Apple get some tough competition right in their wheel house. Nothing better could happen for Apple users. Because with competition, Apple would have to try harder than they are currently.

But one thing we’re talking about with Apple and their integration is a consistent UI across devices. You’re not making the case that Microsoft is catching up when you’re saying Microsoft is doing it with disparate platforms.

If Microsoft is providing ways to sync data across devices despite what operating system you’re running, good for them. But Apple is doing more than that as far as integrations go.

Reactions: TiggrToo

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
You should get a Lenovo Thinkpad! The X1 Carbon series are very nice ultrabooks, and the Thinkpad X1 Extreme(Gen 2) is a wonderful 16" Macbook Pro killer. Their Thinkpad W series are portable workstations that'll slaughter the competition, and their warranty service is quite nice. You can even have on-site repair done, or just have them send the parts you need and do the fix yourself. I'm mostly just using my 16" MBP for the hilarity of it. Can't wait until they one day refuse to service it and I bludgeon a Genius Bar tech with it, lolz.
I can't stand Lenovo's keyboards. The job is upgrading me to a Lenovo Yoga (not sure what gen) tomorrow afternoon after some preliminary Windows 10 training (making sure I keep my wired keyboard, mouse and monitors). That's cool their warranties are that good, but I need something with a beefy dGPU inside.

At any rate, yeah, I am frustrated with Apple big time. The locking down of the systems, needing to use Terminal to delete back ups and the overall crap build quality & quality control is ridiculous. That's not to say that PC OEMs do not have build quality issues (Razer, Asus and Acer all do. even in their new MBP RTX studio competitors). To say nothing of Windows 10.

Not thrilled. I've spent way too much time wringing my hands over this because I'd rather not move to Windows, but there you go. So I make comprises either way.

At any rate, thanks for the suggestion.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I can't stand Lenovo's keyboards.
Any reason why? Lenovo consistently gets good marks for their keyboards. (And I certainly rank the keyboard as one of the best things about my T480s. (And the T460s before that, and the T440s before that.))

I've never had to suffer through a butterfly keyboard.

Reactions: kazmac

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
If anything, I'm liking Apple devices more as years go by.
[automerge]1578883110[/automerge]

What problems with the trackpad? Literally the best trackpads in existence.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I still like them but I just can't like these new iPhones. I tried the XS and 11. I went back to my 7 Plus and bought a new regular sized 7 (I needed the Qualcomm so I could test drive a Verizon MVNO). I'm curious to see what they'll do with 5G and Qualcomm.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
If anything, I'm liking Apple devices more as years go by.
[automerge]1578883110[/automerge]

What problems with the trackpad? Literally the best trackpads in existence.

Same here.

Loving my MBP 2017, my iPad Air 2019, my iPhone 11 Pro Max, my Apple Watch 5... Pretty happy with Apple TV and our Apple credit card (wife and I both have one).

Apple trackpads are the best in the industry (having used many myself).

My dad has an X1 carbon and he loves the keyboard (he has a 2015 MBP). It is a great keyboard and a great laptop.

Really? Sorry I find this difficult to believe. If I don't like something, I don't buy it. My 2015 MBA served me daily for 3 years with my 160+wpm typing. My 2017 MBP (butterfly keyboard) is going strong (typing on it now for this post). My wife's 2017 MBP is also going strong - she uses hers daily for her PhD studies/work as do most of her class mates and professor (no problems). Are they perfect? No.

I have a $2000+ HP laptop for work, I've used $2600 XPS 15 laptops. I have a $1600 XPS desktop that I manually upgraded with a better GPU and more ram.

These things are tools. They don't define my life. They assist me in my life.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I can't stand Lenovo's keyboards. The job is upgrading me to a Lenovo Yoga (not sure what gen) tomorrow afternoon after some preliminary Windows 10 training (making sure I keep my wired keyboard, mouse and monitors). That's cool their warranties are that good, but I need something with a beefy dGPU inside.

At any rate, yeah, I am frustrated with Apple big time. The locking down of the systems, needing to use Terminal to delete back ups and the overall crap build quality & quality control is ridiculous. That's not to say that PC OEMs do not have build quality issues (Razer, Asus and Acer all do. even in their new MBP RTX studio competitors). To say nothing of Windows 10.

Not thrilled. I've spent way too much time wringing my hands over this because I'd rather not move to Windows, but there you go. So I make comprises either way.

At any rate, thanks for the suggestion.

Tell your employer to give you a proper Lenovo workstation laptop or screw off because that Lenovo Yoga is gonna make you hurt big time. Dodge! DODGE. GET OUT OF THERE NOW.

Reactions: levander
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.