Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
My frustration with Apple is really frustration with the other computer companies. Nothing keeps these companies honest except competition. And there’s no one directly competing with Apple in the cross-device UI thing except kind of Samsung. And Apple seems more glad they’re there to protect Apple from anti-trust accusations than afraid of them.

I’m thinking Microsoft is our best hope to eventually keep Apple honest. But they’ve already failed once with a phone.

That said, I wouldn’t describe the job Apple does as bad. But it could certainly be better.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
There are many Androids, but only few manufacturers take care about user experience. Most of them just take Android as free OS to reduce costs.

True, but then that can be also said to make one side look a better always.. I would argue if "done right" you can definatly lock an Android phone down..

The only difference. with Apple, they do it for us.. but with Android, users must do it...

That's why we like Apple.. All that heavy lifting is out.

Me? I prefer the manual back-breaking labor. I use Apple, but still do things my way. not Apple s way. I don't mind the walled garden, just as long i'm still in control of it, which i am.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Way back in 1981, I got my first computer, an Atari 800 with 16 KB of RAM and no storage for something less than US$900, wholesale. I was working for an electronics distributor at the time. Apple II computers were always US$2495. Atari had an elegant operating system that made it easy to expand capabilities.

In 1984, I was working at a restaurant equipment manufacturer and they got a 128 KB Macintosh and I tried it a couple of times and couldn't like it, no matter how I tried.

A few years later, I got an Atari 1040ST. This was at a time when Commodore removed their management and the Tramiel family went to Atari. Atari's operating system was loosely based on CP/M with GEM as their graphical interface. It worked and the hardware made it quick, but Apple was continuing to figure things out and Macintosh was improving.

None of the companies in the computer industry ever did things truly well, and even the bad ones were better than typical big business.

Apple still have lessons to be learned. Their store is their obvious problem, and it hasn't improved much since day one. I've worked in so many industries with rules and regulations and it wouldn't hurt Apple to have some rules and regulations thrown at them. They need to become better. They're still better at privacy than any other company making electronic consumer products, although I like Mozilla, LogMeIn, and DuckDuckGo for their work in software.

In the end, my phone and my computers are just tools. I learned that in the 8-bit days.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
Bear in mind that hardware is not all the Apple does. In fact, it's not the first thing it does anymore and it's clear that Apple likes in that way. Apple TV services, Apple News, Apple Music and all the rest seems to be where the money is, and so, that's where the company's attention and resources go.

But even today I like to reminisce about the days when Apple's heart was in its hardware. If you look closely at some products like the Watch and the iPhone and their stainless steel chassises and fit and finish, I think you'll see clues that Apple had an excellent heart when it came to hardware.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I just accidentally enabled two factor on iPhone sigining into iCloud... Not on purpose.. . Now i'm pondering weather to close down my apple account just to disable it.

Its a long shot....

Isn't that a bitch? How secure can that **** be when you're stymied and baffled at how to log in to a device? I think I know exactly what you mean.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I personally hate the fact that in the past Apple was an underdog in the computing world, I had my fist Mac in '95 and it truly was a interesting time. In Atlanta we had a Mac Users Group that helped each other out as Macs were kind of rare. It was a fun time for sure and Microsoft was the evil empire. Now it seems Apple has become the company they were mocking in the 1984 commercial.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Isn't that a bitch? How secure can that **** be when you're stymied and baffled at how to log in to a device? I think I know exactly what you mean.
Not very but i handle my own security ... I often claim complex passwords outbreak 2 factor, but only because their less lil to be cracked... 2 factor still stands as a 100% effective because you have a device, but my reasoning is the less likely the password will be crack, the less need to a "device" needed.

Besides, i haven't go too many purchased apps left since Apple removed most incompatible ones.. Than you Apple for making my choice easier :)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Wow this thread was started in 2014! I guess Apple will never stop disappointing people!

Hah, yah it's like the Apple Death Knell Counter... never goes out of style, although if that thing were an actual gong someone hit every time another yoyo pronounced Apple dead or dying, someone would have had to replate the thing by now, it would have got so thin over the years.

I'm less than thrilled w/ how Apple decided to take apart iTunes software and reassemble its components in newer operating systems. Short of that though, I'm still very much a fan.

Love my 2020 MacBook Air. Love my iPad Pro not least for aging well enough to let me spring for the laptop and let me postpone my next iPad Pro upgrade for while. Totally love the screen resolution of my iPhone XR even though I call it my "narrow mini iPad" and don't use it as a cellphone (too big and hefty for my taste and pockets; got another iPhone SE for that job).

I'm looking forward to streaming the 9/15 event. Even if I'm just a window shopper at the moment, I'll be an avid, note-taking window shopper as always.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Hah, yah it's like the Apple Death Knell Counter... never goes out of style, although if that thing were an actual gong someone hit every time another yoyo pronounced Apple dead or dying, someone would have had to replate the thing by now, it would have got so thin over the years.

A Death Knell Counter you say...?

• Haha
Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A Death Knell Counter you say...?

Hah, yeah.. that's not too shabby, if we're really into knowing ahead of time... but folks trying to improve the accuracy of Apple's death knell counters have banged away at it and still messed up, so far by over 40 years and counting, not just a matter of a few seconds. I don't have the energy to stick enough laugh emojis onto that record to do it justice. ?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Hah, yeah.. that's not too shabby, if we're really into knowing ahead of time... but folks trying to improve the accuracy of Apple's death knell counters have banged away at it and still messed up, so far by over 40 years and counting

40 years? I thought they doom and gloom really started in the 1990s? The creative industries and education seemingly kept them running through that time. In particular the G3 arguably toasted the last of the dedicated graphics workstations, as it was fast enough to do quite a bit of illustrative work without waiting for the screen to redraw all the time.

That aside, I have been waiting for an opportunity to use that clip.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
40 years? I thought they doom and gloom really started in the 1990s? The creative industries and education seemingly kept them running through that time. In particular the G3 arguably toasted the last of the dedicated graphics workstations, as it was fast enough to do quite a bit of illustrative work without waiting for the screen to redraw all the time.

That aside, I have been waiting for an opportunity to use that clip.

I think you're right... the "official" (well, AN official) count racked up the first one in 1995 and says there were 71 death knells for Apple as of 2018. (MacObserver archives).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Way back in 1981, I got my first computer, an Atari 800 with 16 KB of RAM and no storage for something less than US$900, wholesale. I was working for an electronics distributor at the time. Apple II computers were always US$2495. Atari had an elegant operating system that made it easy to expand capabilities.

In 1984, I was working at a restaurant equipment manufacturer and they got a 128 KB Macintosh and I tried it a couple of times and couldn't like it, no matter how I tried.

A few years later, I got an Atari 1040ST. This was at a time when Commodore removed their management and the Tramiel family went to Atari. Atari's operating system was loosely based on CP/M with GEM as their graphical interface. It worked and the hardware made it quick, but Apple was continuing to figure things out and Macintosh was improving.

None of the companies in the computer industry ever did things truly well, and even the bad ones were better than typical big business.

Apple still have lessons to be learned. Their store is their obvious problem, and it hasn't improved much since day one. I've worked in so many industries with rules and regulations and it wouldn't hurt Apple to have some rules and regulations thrown at them. They need to become better. They're still better at privacy than any other company making electronic consumer products, although I like Mozilla, LogMeIn, and DuckDuckGo for their work in software.

In the end, my phone and my computers are just tools. I learned that in the 8-bit days.
My first computer was an ibm XT with two floppy disks. Yep back in the day that was living large and loving life.

Also, back in the day the Mac lineup were the only computers to be used to for serious desktop publishing activities. And the marketing departments had them and IT had to support them. And then came along windows 7, which started shifting that balance.

But am I sick of Apple? Not really but I’d like to see, in my lifetime, a windows version of a cell phone that didn’t suck, that would put android in its place.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
The iPod nano I have is a great device - simple and does the job. It connects to my Linux computer without any problems.

iPhone 8 is a good phone, it has what I think a phone should have. Although it can be annoying at times (e.g. sending photos in iMessages freezes for a while, like in my old SE) and Apple is able to ruin it with one system update. I connect it to my Linux computer and frequently manage to download photos. Unfortunately, some of them cannot be opened because they are no longer in JPG format. Apparently, I checked an option in iOS ...

I can't transfer music to my iPhone anymore, unless I have at least a Windows computer and the absurd iTunes application. Unfortunately, what is as simple as "drag and drop" on an Android phone won't work for Apple.

However, I will not buy a Mac for ridiculous money (eg a basic MBA is a grim joke). He would not earn for himself, because I do not use it for work, and you only need something cheaper to play.

I had my Mac mini for as long as I was able to return it to Apple - I don't understand the philosophy of "managing" music and photos via apps, converting them or mixing them up in folders. I don't understand the obsession with forcibly "syncing" devices. I don't want to pay for a device to persuade me to buy more - content, services, adapters, etc. But I gave my Mac back to Apple because of a monitor problem - that was the main reason.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
While I still love my Mac (along with my PowerBook), Apple TV/4K, iPad and iPod touch, in truth, they've kinda started losing me ever since iOS 7 happened. I've been sticking with Samsungs running the old TouchWiz Nature interface that fits me too perfectly to move past. Oh, I've tried, but I just keep going back to what makes me happy and comfortable. Eventually something will give just like when I moved away from my Nokia 5185i in 2009 to an iPhone 3GS my boss gave me. But for right now, I'm happy in Touchwiz land. Galaxy S Relay, SIII, S5, and soon, S4 mini. I have multiple lines, one for work, one for home, and two backups. Cheap via prepaid, all devices paid for. I was paying more for one line on Verizon than the four I am on now.

I love small phones, ones with a UI I can enjoy looking at that reflects my personality best, I adore skeuomorphism, sliding keyboards are fun, and headphone jacks and expandable storage along with removable batteries to avoid contributing to e-waste. I'm also the outcast who uses wired headsets and has all his music/movies on his phone's storage. I never have a stable cellular signal where I live so that's important. I don't do 'the cloud.'

None of that is Apple's way. One can argue it never was, but at least diassembling an iPhone 4 was easy. Also, older Apple products lasted like forever. Not so sure about today. Samsung spoiled me in 2013 and their older devices still spoil me today. A shame they never had a streaming box or laptop that ran on Tizen, (I can only find Chromebooks) but so far the Apple TV is more stable for streaming and my Mac has no real replacement yet.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Is anyone else getting sick of Apple?
I'm really sorry. I am not sick. This is also more of a mentality, but you can work on your personality. The world is never perfect, not even Apple.
If you need a confirmation for your dissatisfaction, MacRumors is exactly the right place for you, of course, as you know yourself.
The world in which Apple operates has become extremely complex. And Apple is doing surprisingly well in the face of these growing demands. Of course, there are always details that annoy me. But I don't really need to found a complaining community for that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.