Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I promise I'm not trolling so hear me out. I'm currently on an iPhone 4 and it's ok. But I'll be upgrading soon and would definitely like a bigger screen. I'm also getting bored with iOS, it just seems like each release have less and less impressive features. Based on the leaks, it seems like the major new features of the next-gen iPhone will be LTE and a bigger screen. Whoopie, LTE doesn't matter to me and an extra 0.5" only make a marginal difference.

I played with the Galaxy S3 for a bit and was very impressed by the fluidness of Android. It's come a long way. And I loved the large screen size, something the iPhone doesn't come close to. The only thing keeping me from upgrading is lingering uncertainty that the next-gen iPhone will have an amazing new feature that will really make things better. But it seems like that's less and less likely.

If you have any comments that you think I should consider to help me stay on iOS please post them. I'm trying to find reasons to stay with the iPhone and iOS but am struggling to find many. But otherwise, I'm seriously considering buying a Galaxy S3 if the new iPhone proves to just be a yawner. I've been with iOS since the original iPhone, but maybe it's time for a change. And is anyone else in my position?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Some people don't find reasons to stay with the iPhone and iOS until after they've lived with an Android for a while. An hour of playing with one in the store doesn't really give you the entire user experience.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Ive had a 3GS, 4 and 4S, changed to an S3 and wouldn't swap back. If I was in your position though, I would be tempted to wait for what the new iPhone has in store for us, if nothing, then, IMHO, the S3 is a very good choice.

Last edited:

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
What you refer to as a "yawner", I find functional, productive and reliable. iOS is fine for me the way it is. If new features are added along the way; great. But, I dont want a UI that is constantly changing. I can always go back to the Blackberry for inconsistency.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If you have any comments that you think I should consider to help me stay on iOS please post them.

here's a comment to consider: how about reading the dozens of threads identical to yours and coming to a decision based on those instead of wasting everyone's time with a new one?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Made the switch to a Galaxy Note last Thursday.

Now I can't even look at my iPhone 4S without being underwhelmed. I >was< an Apple fanboy until last Thursday.

I still love my iPad for at home though. It's rock solid, and has music making apps that are nowhere near as good on Android. Don't think I could switch to an Android tablet any time soon.

For my day to day use, the android with agenda widgets and various productivity widgets is just what I need.

The only pain I have is in my wallet since I have probably $1,000-$1,500(probably a low estimate) of apps and I like to be legit in repurchasing the apps I actually use, even though it's easier to pirate on an android platform.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I promise I'm not trolling so hear me out. I'm currently on an iPhone 4 and it's ok. But I'll be upgrading soon and would definitely like a bigger screen. I'm also getting bored with iOS, it just seems like each release have less and less impressive features. Based on the leaks, it seems like the major new features of the next-gen iPhone will be LTE and a bigger screen. Whoopie, LTE doesn't matter to me and an extra 0.5" only make a marginal difference.

I played with the Galaxy S3 for a bit and was very impressed by the fluidness of Android. It's come a long way. And I loved the large screen size, something the iPhone doesn't come close to. The only thing keeping me from upgrading is lingering uncertainty that the next-gen iPhone will have an amazing new feature that will really make things better. But it seems like that's less and less likely.

If you have any comments that you think I should consider to help me stay on iOS please post them. I'm trying to find reasons to stay with the iPhone and iOS but am struggling to find many. But otherwise, I'm seriously considering buying a Galaxy S3 if the new iPhone proves to just be a yawner. I've been with iOS since the original iPhone, but maybe it's time for a change. And is anyone else in my position?

Just bought an S3 myself.

Happy as a sand boy!

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I've had an Android in the past and it would take quite a bit to go back. Just don't like it. Also, I have so much linked into iOS that it would be more inconvenient for me to switch. I'll be picking up the iPhone 5 when my contract is finished on my current standard phone.

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I am not loyal to any one brand. I buy what i think is best at the time. I have an S3, macbook pro and ipad. So while i love my mac and iPad, I think the iPhone is severely lacking. I wish more apple fanboys would be open to devices that could be better and not just buy it because its apple.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Made the switch to a Galaxy Note last Thursday.

I take it you know there is a new Note being announced in a few hours time?

I am very interested in it and after having owned all the iPhones am seriously thinking of moving away.

I actually get very few calls but need that capability to exist. I am a movie fan and want a bigger screen and the new iPhones predicted shape/size isn't big enough to satisfy.

I had a play with a Jelly Bean device recently and was impressed with its speed.

I have only a few apps and don't really use those very much, so I think a 'phablet' may suit my needs.

All eyes on Berlin for 19.00 CEST.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
thinking of trading in my 4s for a galaxy note. the new one

i don't talk on the phone that much and my wife stole the ipad. i have it until this weekend when she comes back.

i found that i use the ipad more than the iphone but i don't want to buy a second tablet and have a phone i rarely use. i like to read a lot and the bigger screen is nice.

sg01

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
I wanted to try Android, but didn't want to use my hardware upgrade, just in case I want to get the next iPhone. So what I did was sold my iPhone 4 ($360) and got the Galaxy Nexus from the Google play store for $350.

The only thing I missed was imessage and facetime, which I found alternative apps for. Definitely not turning back.

Hope my carrier gets the new Note soon :)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 too.

I would love to try out Android again considering 4.0 ICS sucked...

only problem is my iPhone 4 still works great, is still get supported by Apple, and I plan on getting a Mac soon.

intervenient

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I'm using the Galaxy Nexus, but only until the new iPhone or WP8 devices sway me. Android is a little too buggy, syncs crappy with my Mac, and ultimately just isn't the experience I want out of my phone.

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
I haven’t spent significant time with Android in over a year, but I hated it so much that I’m in no rush to try it again.

A Nokia WP8 on Verizon would intrigue me, though.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I have an iPhone 4 too.

I would love to try out Android again considering 4.0 ICS sucked...

only problem is my iPhone 4 still works great, is still get supported by Apple, and I plan on getting a Mac soon.

how is android not going to work with a Mac? i don't even care about itunes that much anymore now that spotify and other services are here. most of my music is from amazon

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Having spent some minutes with Android, I still don't like the look and found it rather confusing. I've had a Windows Phone 7.5 phone for a few months, though.

Only two deal-breakers for me:
- Lack of local sync for contacts and calendars.
I'm not one to entrust my personal data to the cloud - period.
If you do, however, keep your contacts and calendars on Windows Live, Google or Facebook, you might fare well - they seemed well integrated into the OS.
- Ugly handling of self-signed certificates for Mail.
I couldn't for the life of me get my business email address to work on this.

Otherwise, I found it quite appealing. I really liked much of the simple, clean look of it - as opposed to many of the skeuomorphic abominations that Apple did lately (fake-leather address book, calender, etc.). And then, I really liked the alphabetical navigation to open apps. Apple's grid layout of apps I found quite cumbersome, once you have a few pages of Apps on your device.

Generally, I didn't find Windows Phone 7 any less intuitive than iOS. Sure, it'd also take a little bit of getting used to it, as I had been using an iPhone for a few years, and still use my beloved iPad daily. But probably less so than Android.

So if Microsoft get their act together (see my two gripes above), I'd guess you could put me in the "considering Windows Phone 8" camp, too :)

PS: Oh, and by the way, the Samsung Omnia phone that I had cost about $500 less than an iPhone (on same contract/price plan!) and I preferred the Samsung's AMOLED display with it's vivid colors and deep blacks over the iPhone's "retina" one.

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Where did I say android won't work on the mac???

ok, what is wrong with having an android phone and a Mac? i have a MBP at home a 4s, 4 and ipad 2 along with 2 lenovo laptops and i don't see any difference in how the iphone or ipad would work on a mbp compared to my lenovo.

iphoto will import photos from photo stream automatically but its not a big loss if you have to manually connect your phone

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

I made the switch from iP4 to SSGS3. After I got over the feeling of being naked in the cold hahah (apple ease of back up etc), and learned the device and went through every sub menu AND got the phone set up with ring tones, wall paper, a few select widgets. I have just gotten down to using and enjoying the phone.

The ONE thing I really wish I could have on it is the HTC Weather Widget. The super cool animated one! Not an imitation app or widget, but the real deal!

Ahhh whimsy!

Either way, it's hard not to get tempted with the next latest and greatest. At least with Apple, you know you had one choice and one choice only until next year haha! If I were only a millionaire.

PS I don't regret the switch. I am still excited about the Apple iPhone-whatever launch. I just love new tech releases!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.