Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I have given it serious thought, I really like to customise my devices to suit my personal tastes, and while I appreciate Apple devices, I have to admit I am drawn to the new Samsung Android phones for the ability to customise the OS without having to risk breaching any form of warranty.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I had a Motorola Droid back in the day when it was launched. I saw it go from Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread. Eclair to Froyo was a heck of a jump, but Froyo to Gingerbread didn't feel like much of an improvement.

Bought the iPhone 4 when it came to Verizon. Loved every second of it.

Switched to AT&T for contract reasons, got a Galaxy S3. That was one fantastic phone. High speed, serviceable battery life, and awesome technology. ICS is 100000x better than Gingerbread and Jelly Bean looks great. However, it didn't interface well with my other devices, so I returned it and got the 4S. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll try an android again.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
There's nothing wrong...

but I have an iPhone 4 now so..

what feature other than uploading photos to photo stream will you lose by having an android and a mac instead of iphone 4 and a Mac.

if you use pages, why not use a free program and dropbox instead of icloud which is next to worthless other than photo stream

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
what feature other than uploading photos to photo stream will you lose by having an android and a mac instead of iphone 4 and a Mac.

if you use pages, why not use a free program and dropbox instead of icloud which is next to worthless other than photo stream

I use both iCloud and Dropbox... iCloud automatically backs up my data, documents, music, photos, apps, etc. I use Dropbox for a different reason...if there's a document I want (not all computers are Macs), I can access it easily.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
this is how i do it

photos- go on the Mac once in a while and deleted from my phone
email - ms exchange and gmail. no need to back up
documents - dropbox and some icloud
music - still use itunes but it's not like i need all the 60GB of music i have. i can just upload 5GB worth to amazon and use the cloud player. or pay the $20 a year for more storage
apps- almost every decent app will keep the data in its own cloud or dropbox

there is very little you need an iphone for except to use with apple TV and a few other things. and i hate icloud other than photo stream which is OK. the fact that apps can't share the same files makes it useless unless you give all your money to apple

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm really surprised how many people love iOS mail. That is something I feel is in desperate need of an upgrade. Not mentioning the lack of conversations on the same screen and being able to easily attach files I've had it lose emails. In bad service areas if I keep trying to force an email to send it will fall into the void between drafts and sent. I've had this happen twice, it leave me with no proof I even tried to send the mail. Rare I admit but USPS is more reliable.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i swore there was an option in there to group email by conversations. i personally hated it.

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
I had an Android (Galaxy Ace) for a year. I have a 4S now and am in no hurry to go anywhere near Android again. What a disappointing experience it was...useless without a Google account, and absolutely no OS updates available - forever stuck with Gingerbread.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I doubt it.

I remember hearing similar arguments against the iPod's sound quality. I swallowed the sales pitch and bought a a very unapplelike Sansa Fuze. It sounded fake after getting used to the iPods much flatter response. The sd card was annoying as hell as well.

As far as I am concerned, apple and android are intended for two diametrically opposed demographics who never agree with the other on any topic.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
As far as I am concerned, apple and android are intended for two diametrically opposed demographics who never agree with the other on any topic.

I completely disagree that they're indented for different demographics. They perform exactly the same functions, for the same people. It's all just a matter of personal preference.

I do however agree that the iOS diehards and Android diehards will never agree with each other, which is a shame... if people would go into it with an open mind, deciding what fits their specific list of requirements and preferences, each side would realize that the other does indeed have merits, and is probably responsible for iterative improvements in their own OS.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I've upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an HTC Sensation and not once have I regretted it. This thing is a lot better than an iPhone.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I do however agree that the iOS diehards and Android diehards will never agree with each other, which is a shame... if people would go into it with an open mind, deciding what fits their specific list of requirements and preferences, each side would realize that the other does indeed have merits, and is probably responsible for iterative improvements in their own OS.

Although I do prefer iOS, I will still look at Android phones to see how they have evolved. I am often impressed by the cosmetic changes, that's for sure. But after playing around with them, that's all I'm impressed with. Personal preferences for sure, but Android just doesn't impress with services and apps like iOS does. Neither do the internal workings get me going either. If I had to stick with my carrier, which does not offer an iPhone, then I'd have no real problem switching back to Android. They are quite similar after all. But now that my wife has her own iPhone on a different carrier, I have no real reason to. I have picked out an Android phone I'd take if needed though, if that's any consolation.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
I'm really tempted by the Galaxy Note 2.

But I'm just so wary of Google and how much information they collect, how they are requiring Google accounts more and more etc. That kind of stuff is the complete opposite of the "freedom" they bleat on about.

On the other hand, the email and Safari on iOS is vastly inferior to the Gmail & Chrome apps on iOS. And Apple REALLY need to shake up the iOS, it desperately needs it.

For once, I'm very confused between the new iPhone and a Samsung Android device!!

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
I am seriously thinking about freshly announced Note 2, though some disappointment about storage (was expecting 128GB embedded, anyway...)
I will be waiting for iphone 5 specs to pick new one by end of this year, in any case change will be drastic from my 3GS !

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm really tempted by the Galaxy Note 2.

But I'm just so wary of Google and how much information they collect, how they are requiring Google accounts more and more etc. That kind of stuff is the complete opposite of the "freedom" they bleat on about.

On the other hand, the email and Safari on iOS is vastly inferior to the Gmail & Chrome apps on iOS. And Apple REALLY need to shake up the iOS, it desperately needs it.

For once, I'm very confused between the new iPhone and a Samsung Android device!!

Requiring google accounts for what? A android phones going to require a google account like an Apple phone requires an apple id.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan

I sure hope they don't "shake up the iOS" to be more like Google. Their apps are horrible.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I sure hope they don't "shake up the iOS" to be more like Google. Their apps are horrible.

We know maps is getting an update already, is there anyone that is upset if maps will be more like Google?

You don't think Safari and mail are in desperate need of updating? I had to ask on this forum how to email a PDF, that's not right.

YouTube is terrible and going away. The camera needs an update to have more then settings for the flash. Even the phone app I find mediocre, I think it can be streamlined somehow, built in visual voicemail is nice though. The app store app is fine but the search is questionable, you can type an app name in exactly and it's a hundred apps from the top. Weather app is "ok" but I wish it's icon told the real temp and weather regardless I use the weather channel app because it's better and more accurate for my area.

Really the only native apps I like are message and calculator. However I think there is plenty of room for improvement.

I have no problem with Apple redoing all their apps. I trust they will only make them better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.