Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Not interested in moving away from Apple and considering I'm still using my iPhone X and Air2, the new devices offer decent upgrades if I decide to replace them. Upgrading every year isn't necessary anymore..

texasmac76

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2014
No way. I lived in the non Apple world and it wasn't good in any way. I did that from the beginning and it just never got better only worse as they tried to fix the flawed system. The Apple ecosphere just works for me. I would say if the cost is what is the deciding factor not the ease of use, then you make your choices based on your priorities.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
One of the main things I noticed was how janky it was when just moving around the OS, it's hard to explain but iOS is so fluid and everything just flows. Apple has also paid a lot of attention to the tiny details that I've become really accustomed to and love. For instance picture in picture works for every video app that I have installed on my iPhone but on Android, it only worked for YouTube and the actual PiP window on Android was a freaking joke LOL.

I also have a bunch of keyboard shortcuts in settings and when typing these out in my conversations they are autocorrected but on Android, they are not. Media player controls are so much better on iOS, you can't reply to messages from the lock screen on Android, I found split-screen multitasking to be pointless (I was using chrome and trying to create an icon pack in the other window by following the guide in chrome but it was awful cause the app wasn't optimized for this type of interaction ??‍♂️). I also experienced the overheating warning after 5 minutes when trying to film 4K.

There are many wonderful things about Android but most of it feels rushed, unpolished or gimmicky. It feels like Google has no vision and they just fly by the seat of their pants, just with their pixel phones alone there is no feature parity, every year the phones either add or remove something from the previous model. For example, the Pixel 4's big feature was the Soli Radar sensor and their version of FaceID but there were only two functions that used the sensor and many apps that used fingerprint authentication could utilize the face scan because Google didn't properly code the APIs. What happened with the Pixel 5? Instead of perfecting Soli and refining the face-scanning, they freaking scrap them both!

Sorry for the long post but for me Android is a dumpster fire and I can't trust Google to create as cohesive an ecosystem as Apple has, Google has had the same amount of time as Apple to do this but for some reason refuse.
That sounds like a bummer. I heared good and bad experiences with Android in general but I'll have to try Pixel for myself to see if it fits me I guess.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
yes, been using android for years and no problem to switch.

i was using android, ios and windows at the same time and no problem to jsing them. Now im mostly using macos/ios but it is not a proble to start using win/android again.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
That sounds like a bummer. I heared good and bad experiences with Android in general but I'll have to try Pixel for myself to see if it fits me I guess.

Yeah I’d say give it a chance the worse you’ll be out is the $35 restocking fee if you don’t like it.

Reactions: Feyl

enrvuk

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
Funny, I was on the macrumours event thread last night, everyone was of the same opinion, meh not interested, yet all has had a change of mind over night it seems
When I can unlock my computer with my watch, cut and paste from my phone to my computer and have a unified app store across Computer, Tablet, Phone and Watch I might consider another vertical platform. Everything else is light years behind.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
One of the main things I noticed was how janky it was when just moving around the OS, it's hard to explain but iOS is so fluid and everything just flows. Apple has also paid a lot of attention to the tiny details that I've become really accustomed to and love. For instance picture in picture works for every video app that I have installed on my iPhone but on Android, it only worked for YouTube and the actual PiP window on Android was a freaking joke LOL.

I also have a bunch of keyboard shortcuts in settings and when typing these out in my conversations they are autocorrected but on Android, they are not. Media player controls are so much better on iOS, you can't reply to messages from the lock screen on Android, I found split-screen multitasking to be pointless (I was using chrome and trying to create an icon pack in the other window by following the guide in chrome but it was awful cause the app wasn't optimized for this type of interaction ). I also experienced the overheating warning after 5 minutes when trying to film 4K.

There are many wonderful things about Android but most of it feels rushed, unpolished or gimmicky. It feels like Google has no vision and they just fly by the seat of their pants, just with their pixel phones alone there is no feature parity, every year the phones either add or remove something from the previous model. For example, the Pixel 4's big feature was the Soli Radar sensor and their version of FaceID but there were only two functions that used the sensor and many apps that used fingerprint authentication could utilize the face scan because Google didn't properly code the APIs. What happened with the Pixel 5? Instead of perfecting Soli and refining the face-scanning, they freaking scrap them both!

Sorry for the long post but for me Android is a dumpster fire and I can't trust Google to create as cohesive an ecosystem as Apple has, Google has had the same amount of time as Apple to do this but for some reason refuse.

Buy as an expensive android device as ios and it is better than ios on any way. Android best feature is the great apps for core functions, not google basic apps. So saying that google doesnt do the best doesnt mean that you cannot find the best app from the playstore. I used only flagship androids and they worked perfectly.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Buy as an expensive android device as ios and it is better than ios on any way. Android best feature is the great apps for core functions, not google basic apps. So saying that google doesnt do the best doesnt mean that you cannot find the best app from the playstore. I used only flagship androids and they worked perfectly.

It’s not about them working perfectly. The hardware is usually fantastic that’s not my qualm, Android is my issue, I just don’t like the experience.

Flashy hardware with crap software is not an ideal situation. This is my subjective opinion. If android makes you happy then cool but I can’t stand the garbage LOL.

Reactions: texasmac76

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Funny, I was on the macrumours event thread last night, everyone was of the same opinion, meh not interested, yet all has had a change of mind over night it seems
“I’m not interested in upgrading my 2020 device to the 2021 version” is not the same as “I’m leaving Apple for Android.”

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
the 13 is downright insulting to people who will upgrade from a 12. this has to be the weakest iPhone improvement we've ever seen.
Nah, it’s a pretty standard S upgrade. New chip, improved cameras, a few other things (brighter screen, better battery life, smaller notch). Some S upgrades have had something else in addition (such as Touch ID on iPhone 5s) but not necessarily (think X to Xs). They shoulda just called it 12s.

You shouldn’t upgrade every year, you won’t see much difference. Plus the 12 was not much different to the 11 bar squared sides.
5G, MagSafe, thinner/lighter, new body style (pro went from 5.8 to 6.1, new 5.4” model), plus the standard new chip/new cameras. Definitely bigger than this year.

Reactions: NewBench

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
No I am still a fan of Apple. I tried Android but their IOS and smartphone chips don't compare to what Apple offers. Plus the Apple ecosystem is just better in my opinion. That said, I do think the iphone 13 is one of the weaker upgrade years (right there with the iPhone XS).

If anything I MIGHT buy a iphone 12 pro max if I see a good deal on one. But honestly, perfectly fine with my 11 pro max for another year.

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
The announced 13 was a disappointment IMO and so usual for apple. I am a Android and apple user and you will find apple devices much better all around with Android having more hype.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
It’s not about them working perfectly. The hardware is usually fantastic that’s not my qualm, Android is my issue, I just don’t like the experience.

Flashy hardware with crap software is not an ideal situation. This is my subjective opinion. If android makes you happy then cool but I can’t stand the garbage LOL.

What experience, what garbage? that is just an excuse. You can use differend kind of launchers, make it looks as you want..

Android is always been above ios. I already used widgets decades ago, used zooper to make my own widgets i need to see on the screen once, i used Nova launcher to get the experience i wanted to have…

My phone a decade ago was note 10.1 (phone-tablet), i didnt have any other phone on that time. My android smartwatch (sony) was the middle link for the tablet which i carried on my bag. My smartwatch on that time was much capable to show real info on the screen than my cripled apple watch today (s4) because apple wants to restrict how you use your dumbwatch, err… smartwatch.. and you really cant use benefits widgets on the screen at once.

Nowadays i mainly use ios/macos (macbook (and blackmagic egpu), ipads (3), iphone, atv, aw, airpods), but if apple continues this **** of surveillance, i give it up.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Hate Android. But  seems to be falling further and further behind
Hopefull for the 14

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Nope, too involved in their ecosystem. I have Chromebooks, and Android devices. No comparison, but I know I'm to involved in Apple.

Could you please provide me some info about ecosystem, you cannot use when using other devices?

It is quite hard to me to understand ”what ecosystem”.. I have used win/linux/android/ios/macos at the same time and they have always worked as i wish. So, i dont understand when people say ”ecosystem”… what are you doing with your devices that cannot be done with differend os’s?

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Not in the least, had my fill of Windows as computer reseller for 20 years. 1000's of PC's and hundreds of Windows installs. Enough.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Not in the least, had my fill of Windows as computer reseller for 20 years. 1000's of PC's and hundreds of Windows installs. Enough.

Guiding others using macs, for example to get the ext4 drivers working or even just simple ”write to ntfs”, it is something that you wish people would use something else than mac… If you do something else than email, pRon, and surfing, anything else on mac is pain in the ass.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I have, but as many have pointed out, the ecosystem is very good, especially if you are a Mac user. Samsung makes some impressive hardware (I have a Fold 3 as a secondary phone), but Android just doesn't do it for me. Plus, I love big storage for media consumption, and 1TB makes iPhones new for me again. Even Samsung hasn't released a 1TB phone since the S10 a few years ago.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Could you please provide me some info about ecosystem, you cannot use when using other devices?

It is quite hard to me to understand ”what ecosystem”.. I have used win/linux/android/ios/macos at the same time and they have always worked as i wish. So, i dont understand when people say ”ecosystem”… what are you doing with your devices that cannot be done with differend os’s?
try viewing an itunes tv show that I purchased on the Chromebook, Android? Other apps work okay, Slow but they work. That's one example.

I can't get my messages on the Android device? That's another quickie...

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I have iMacs and iPads but got rid of our iPhone 12s and went to a Galaxy S21 Ultra. The whole CSAM debacle in IOS15 just left me disappointed with Apple. I'm just not ok with an OS scanning my phone and the possibilities of that being opened up to governments, private entities, etc. I know they do the same on all stuff in iCloud and that was ok with me. But this time, Apple scanning my phone was just a bit too invasive for me. I'll see what they finally decide on their CSAM implementation and maybe I'll go back to the iPhone 14 next year.

Reactions: UltraInstinct
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.