Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Playthatfunkymusic

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
I tried apple music when it came out and after the first major update. It was a complete mess. I mismatched my songs and had no idea what it was doing.

The BIGGEST issue was sometimes I was on an airplane, pull up Music on the iPhone, and it would say I have no music, no songs, nothing local. Many times the app screwed up so I couldn't play anything.

I have since been using Spotify but it isn't as good as Apple Music from the availability or music standpoint.

My question is, have they addressed all these issues?

Anyone have an issue where in airplane mode (or no internet access) the music app fails to load?
I just cancelled Apple Music last week as it is still a mess. Extremely frustrared with Apple. Wish I could sue them for all the time they have cost me redoing my playlists!!!

gomatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
I just cancelled Apple Music last week as it is still a mess. Extremely frustrared with Apple. Wish I could sue them for all the time they have cost me redoing my playlists!!!

Me too. Cancelling a second time. Yesterday I was going for a run and nothing would download before on wifi. It kept syncing, failed every song, entire mess. Going to spend the money on buying music and using real public radio.

Forget it.

Reactions: Shirasaki

isanka

Suspended
Sep 30, 2016
London
I started to liked it when i removed all my music from the computeur, so i re-organized all my librarie with only apple music songs. Sadly Apple music missing lot of albums.

Reactions: riverfreak

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
This is the best and least frustrating way to roll.

Way back when, I tried some other suggested fixes, like starting anew and enabling iTunes Match first. That resulted in a near duplication of my library. Turns out it isn't so easy to start anew: synced libraries are retained with your Apple ID for a specified duration. I wasn't about to create a new Apple ID. What a pain.

I worked with Apple engineers and demonstrated (and they replicated) deletion of files on my file system. I know that some on this thread don't believe that's possible but it certainly was and did happen.

Regarding songs working in iMovie: I had a vast percentage of my songs labeled as "Apple Music" not as "Matched". This songs in my personal library became indistinguishable from the AM library. It was these songs that could not be used in AM.

I finally dumped AM and iTunes Match and waited for the arrival of iOs10. I have re-enabled AM but. It match. I still have tons of duplicates in my library and other oddities, like where AM does the annoying thing of matching a fraction of songs on an album, then filing them under different metadata.

Fortunately, I did discover that you can edit metadata of AM supplied tracks, at least allowing one to reunite tracks as a single album.

I do find Music much improved on iOS10

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Actually, Apple Music is still an embarrassing mess, particularly if you rely upon it to match your music and add it to your virtual library.

I don't even know where to begin.

Let me just pick one example off the shelf.

Artist: R.E.M.

I own 16 R.E.M. albums. Apple Music thinks I have 28.

Of those albums, there are a bunch of songs which have miraculously disappeared.

a220687e4ec0f3a1085c63eddf8fc3b3.png

Great.

Apple Music might be the bees knees if you want to stream Dr Dre. But if you want to listen to your own music that you have purchased it is a horrendous mess. They should seriously spend less money creating curated playlists and spend more time understanding how music is actually organized.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Actually, Apple Music is still an embarrassing mess, particularly if you rely upon it to match your music and add it to your virtual library.

I don't even know where to begin.

Let me just pick one example off the shelf....

You could resolve that problem pretty quickly in iTunes, but I suspect you're not interested in solutions.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Really? Actually I am and have invested a lot of personal time trying to understand the quirks of Apple Music as well as other systems.

Please enlighten me, Sir Gustave.

Delete the album from your Apple Music library on your phone. In the desktop iTunes you'll see its status as "removed" now (it's just a status, the file isn't deleted). Change the metadata in some way for the song that wasn't working, like adding year, etc. Now right-click on all the songs in that album, and choose add to iCloud Music Library (or something similar to that). It should upload correctly then.

I did this for over a dozen albums in my library that had minor issues, and it worked for all of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.