Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
It seems faster on my Mac. Maybe not for booting up, but for daily operations and tasks it seems faster.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
They added Metal 2 UI acceleration (2012 macs and up) so you may notice the UI is faster.

witherwings

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
London
Here at home the 2010 MacBook Pro with SSD and 2017 MacBook Pro all seem faster indeed. The APFS filesystem really makes a difference. Too bad the iOS 11 didn't follow this path as it lags...

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Here at home the 2010 MacBook Pro with SSD and 2017 MacBook Pro all seem faster indeed. The APFS filesystem really makes a difference. Too bad the iOS 11 didn't follow this path as it lags...

I do not believe my 2012 MBP upgraded the file system since I have a conventional hard drive.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
For me it still have performance issues on 2016 mb pro 15’ ...... been bad since i got it so starting to think its some hardware errors in it.. lag in launchpad and other places and glitches in lightroom and photoshop and in logic it become a beachbsll everytime pressing file in menubar but not if pressing other places.. and condole still show reports of cpu usage is to much and wakeups and memory resource error logs

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
For me it still have performance issues on 2016 mb pro 15’ ...... been bad since i got it so starting to think its some hardware errors in it.. lag in launchpad and other places and glitches in lightroom and photoshop and in logic it become a beachbsll everytime pressing file in menubar but not if pressing other places.. and condole still show reports of cpu usage is to much and wakeups and memory resource error logs

Yeah, none of that is normal.

Try this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731 If it doesn't find anything, wipe and reinstall. If it doesn't fix it, take it to Apple while you still have AppleCare.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
It does seem "snappier" on my early 2011 mbp. As others have noted, scrolling etc feels super smooth, even on just the intergated GPU. It "feels" like I got an upgrade.

skirmisser

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
Same for my 2012 rMBP. Feels faster. Scrolling and UI animations are noticeably smoother. I cannot tell any difference between internal vs. external GPU and it feels faster than a Haswell-based rMBP running 10.12.

ceparker27

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Definitely feels more streamlined. So far I'm pretty happy with this one. Hopefully the battery life is decent.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Same for my 2012 rMBP. Feels faster. Scrolling and UI animations are noticeably smoother. I cannot tell any difference between internal vs. external GPU and it feels faster than a Haswell-based rMBP running 10.12.

So you have the same MacBook as me thats cool. You like the DVD drive? I like having it internally as I have plenty of movies on DVD. True most of what I buy these days is streamed, but I cant financially replace the hundreds of DVD's already in my library.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Boot up time is a little slower (on stock SSD iMac with FileVault 2). Copying is much quicker, as is Safari etc.

no it is not. but boot time is very very and very slower .

I noticed that too. I wonder why. First half of the progress bar goes as usual, then it slows down. Once the login screen appears everything is fine though. I'll try a verbose boot maybe I'll see what's going on.

Reactions: darkweather

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
It feels faster and “snappier” for me too vs Sierra. Nothing monumental but very responsive. It’s also very stable. Been using it via beta since June though so it’s hard to remember Sierra. In terms of APFS. It’s debatable. I don’t know how anyone could discern from everyday tasks between APFS and HFS. It’s not really designed for speed.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
It feels faster and “snappier” for me too vs Sierra. Nothing monumental but very responsive. It’s also very stable. Been using it via beta since June though so it’s hard to remember Sierra. In terms of APFS. It’s debatable. I don’t know how anyone could discern from everyday tasks between APFS and HFS. It’s not really designed for speed.

Apple Placebo File System: APFS ;)

...What is noticeable however, is copying/duplicating files - instantaneous.

Reactions: neliason

Eagle36

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
Mine boots faster as well as overall performance is better for my iMac with a Fusion configuration, so no APFS. I have tested most of my applications as well and have not found any issues. Also, No issue booting to windows and back to High Sierra.

Although not many new visible changes one I do like is the upgrade to the photos app...

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Apple Placebo File System: APFS ;)

...What is noticeable however, is copying/duplicating files - instantaneous.
Yeah, for me though most of my copying/dupicating is either to my network drive or to the Cloud. Both over wifi so I'm limited to my wifi upload speed (which sucks BTW with xfinnity)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
All my apps launch incredibly faster, especially microsoft office. Usually everything opens slower after a new OS update.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
It's definitely a nice clean and lean release. Some people bitch that it's not more of an update with bells and whistles. I'll take this over that any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.