Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
here is a screenshot of the "correction" that was recommended to me yesterday. This keeps happening....I enter "you're," correctly, and the system wants to know if I want to change it to "your." this is new.

It's the "millenial grammar" add-on from OS X Mojave.

Reactions: FeliApple

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
Lately iOS has been capitalising place names for me - that shot is ducking crazy ;-)
*capitalizing
*that **** is ******* crazy
[doublepost=1566587129][/doublepost]
Duck you're post.
* **** your post.
here is a screenshot of the "correction" that was recommended to me yesterday. This keeps happening....I enter "you're," correctly, and the system wants to know if I want to change it to "your." this is new.
put a space after your ellipsis, silly
[doublepost=1566587294][/doublepost]
It's the "millenial grammar" add-on from OS X Mojave.
I thought it was the "old people can't see & forget their spelling & grammars 'cause they're old AF & work @ Apple" "'new feature/update' & improvement"

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I know that this is an English forum, but my only quirk with the auto-correct is that it doesn’t recognise my Spanish dialect, so it automatically corrects my verbs to neutral Spanish. It doesn’t seem to learn, either, as I’ve been correcting that over, and over, and over again, to no avail. I’ve pretty much come to terms with the fact that I will have to keep correcting it...
Edit: I had a 6s in iOS 9, now I’m using a Xʀ on iOS 12, and more varieties of Spanish were added, but mine still doesn’t work.

Reactions: Gravydog316

FallenAnjel

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
On and Island that is Long.
IT'S THE WORST!! I started using apple products in 2009 with an Ipod 2. WEnt to an ipod 3, then an iPhone 4s in 2012. iphone 6 in early 2017, back to 4s in August of 2017 when the 6s got run over, then finally a 7plus in Feb 2018.

Auto correct has gotten exponentially worse each and every time. As well as TExt to speech. Which I have started using more and more because auto correct is horrid. I articulate very well, I know how to spell and use grammar very well. ios doesn't. I can't tell you how many times iphone has corrected a CORRECT word to gibberish. Because of this I have my text replacement filled with actual english words and the replacement is..... the actual english word so ios doesn't change it to a word I don't want or gibberish.

Then there are my common typos that I have to put in text replacement: i often miss keys so I may type: "becaaue". But ios has no idea that this word MIGHT be "because" so I had to add that as well.

No phone I've ever had ever learned my son's name. So the phone doesn't "learn" anything. I had to put it in text replacement. And the name "Kelly" was ALWAYS replaced with jelly. I could understand names like asdljfadlksfjlkadsf. lol.

I have been taking screenshots of failed autocorrects over the years. Here's a few:

"unidentified" is corrected to "I identified"
"Jimmy Kimmel" is corrected to "Kümmel"
"becasue" is corrected to "necasue" (wtf??)
"stopped" is corrected to "stooped"
"in" is corrected to "I'm"

Other words in my text replacement that are replaced with the exact same word:
because--because
he'll--he'll (would correct to hell)
Kelly--Kelly
live--live (would correct to love)
love--love (would be corrected to live)

It seems iphone does not understand dictation. where words should go and how they should be used. it simply blindly corrects. "i have the money in the bank" is corrected to "I have money I'm the bank". Nowhere in the universe does that make sense.

However.... the phone knows to correct "venmo" to "Venmo" ???????????? No rhyme or reason.

One day I will get all my failed auto corrects online for everyone to see. ;)

ps--- I just turned on American Dictionary and Apple Dictionary and now NOTHING is auto corrected. i type very fast so I get a lot of typos and now the phone isn't correcting them at all. at least they get corrected 50% of the time and 50% is better than nothing so I guess I will be turning off the dictionaries. what good is a dictionary if the words aren't being auto corrected?

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.