Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

From security expert community

That’s what I am saying. Do not go on websites that are likely to have malware if you are using an out-of-date browser. I have been using old browsers safely for the last 20 years and have never had any issues on Windows or Mac computers along with never having an iPad or iPhone compromised. A lot of people here use much older iOS firmware and do not report issues however others are paranoid because they think they’ll suffer a malware breach just for idling online on an older device. You do whatever you want but I can assure you that you can safely use browsers that are 1-2 years behind on updates. I wouldn’t use anything older than that because then you can start running into issues with plugins and script.

Reactions: 9Benua

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
That’s what I am saying. Do not go on websites that are likely to have malware if you are using an out-of-date browser. I have been using old browsers safely for the last 20 years and have never had any issues on Windows or Mac computers along with never having an iPad or iPhone compromised. A lot of people here use much older iOS firmware and do not report issues however others are paranoid because they think they’ll suffer a malware breach just for idling online on an older device. You do whatever you want but I can assure you that you can safely use browsers that are 1-2 years behind on updates. I wouldn’t use anything older than that because then you can start running into issues with plugins and script.

The link has explained no matter what size, what kind of websites can have risked.

Reactions: Berries-A-Million

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The link has explained no matter what size, what kind of websites can have risked.
There is a risk for anything but those risks can be mitigated by using your brain. I would suggest there is less than a 0.1% chance of compromising your phone when using an slightly out of date browser so there is no reason to become paranoid and throw away your older phone. There are plenty of users here who are on older versions of iOS for performance purposes and they are completely safe.

Reactions: Shirasaki

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
It is an excellent phone. I had no usability issues with my 4 year old XS Max until I dumped soda on it last month. Now it is dead as a doorknob.

If you can get one for cheap, go for it.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
There is a risk for anything but those risks can be mitigated by using your brain. I would suggest there is less than a 0.1% chance of compromising your phone when using an slightly out of date browser so there is no reason to become paranoid and throw away your older phone. There are plenty of users here who are on older versions of iOS for performance purposes and they are completely safe.

Just read the content of the link and take your own risk if you want.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Just read the content of the link and take your own risk if you want.
Be paranoid if you like. You do you, lol. Obviously, if you can update your phone, do it. If you can’t do it, for instance if you have an iPhone 6S, SE or 7, you can still use the older firmware and be 99.9% safe from malware.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Be paranoid if you like. You do you, lol. Obviously, if you can update your phone, do it. If you can’t do it, for instance if you have an iPhone 6S, SE or 7, you can still use the older firmware and be 99.9% safe from malware.

My link is comment from IT security community and basically they are hackers. While you sound like you know how to turn on/off the iPhone…I guess you know.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
My link is comment from IT security community and basically they are hackers. While you sound like you know how to turn on/off the iPhone…I guess you know.
IT security are there to sell their services. You are gullible and unable to grasp this basic concept.

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
My youngest kid has my old XS and it’s still brilliant, no issues. I probably wouldn’t have had an issue keeping it myself

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I recently found a deal on an iPhone XS from a reputable seller on eBay, with a full capacity battery. I bought it for my dad, who is older, and is looking for a first smartphone. I am aware that it is a few years old now, is it too old? I want it to be good for a while. I have an iPhone 5s, and a 3GS.

It seems after a while, the cellular bands get dropped and this makes phones no longer usable as phone. Is the iPhone XS in danger of this? or will he get at least a maybe 3 or more years out of it?
The XS is a classy phone, and with an as-new battery it's a very sound buy. Forget all that band stuff, not relevant.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The A12 in the XS is still a very capable processor. My Ipad Air 3 with the same chip is smooth as butter.

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
My XS is down to 78% battery health and needs a new battery, but still works well other than needing frequent charging. However, it isn’t 5G capable, so that’s something to keep in mind if 5G is important to you. I’m not planning to keep my XS going once I get a new 14.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Why do people assume that just because we are older (I am almost 78) that we can't operate a smart phone? The only case I can think of is the person has early onset Alzheimers ( that is difficult to diagnose in the early stages). My father-in-law had it, and we didn't realize it. He seemed to function ok, but had problems with Outlook express (kept changing layout). I have an iPhone 12Pro, AW SS5, Apple TV and new iMac 24". Get him a new SE or what ever he would like, he will love it (and you). I am sure you don't want to mess with an old phone off eBay.

BTW I still ride my 800cc V4 sport bike through the twisty back roads.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice you bought it already. I had the X before the 12Pro, if it checks outs, it is a good phone.
Yep. And stop handing down your old devices to parents. Show some respect paleeze 😂👍🏼

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I recently found a deal on an iPhone XS from a reputable seller on eBay, with a full capacity battery. I bought it for my dad, who is older, and is looking for a first smartphone. I am aware that it is a few years old now, is it too old? I want it to be good for a while. I have an iPhone 5s, and a 3GS.

It seems after a while, the cellular bands get dropped and this makes phones no longer usable as phone. Is the iPhone XS in danger of this? or will he get at least a maybe 3 or more years out of it?
No bands get dropped. However, new bands come into use and if the phone doesn't support it, it can't.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
It’s on the cusp I would say, at least for a primary phone. And even then not for hugely longer

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
My mom still uses my old 8 plus and has had no complaints. Even has the battery warning to replace but still gets her a full days charge for her light usage. Really comes down to how they are going to use the phone. She uses it mostly as a phone and for the camera.

App usage like Facebook and Netflix etc she uses her iPad for.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
It’s safe. I think people have been brainwashed by tech firms making them paranoid about security. You don’t need a 100% up-to-date browser to avoid malware. As long as you don’t go looking for it, your browser won’t suddenly become compromised.

Bogus. Nothing brainwashed. It’s legit issues. No updates it’ll get hacked. Given time. You obviously don’t work in IT.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019

Older people don’t know better. I’ve told my 80 yr old dad to not do it multiple times. His answer. It comes up on yahoo so it’s safe right? Lol

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Bogus. Nothing brainwashed. It’s legit issues. No updates it’ll get hacked. Given time. You obviously don’t work in IT.
Not happening. I have used computers since the 90s and surf on some particularly old machines, over 12-13 years old, on the modern web, and have never had a virus. You are trying to scaremonger people by playing up the risks.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Older people don’t know better. I’ve told my 80 yr old dad to not do it multiple times. His answer. It comes up on yahoo so it’s safe right? Lol
Perhaps some older people need more protection if they aren’t tech savvy. In that case I would recommend an up to date browser with the most recent security patches.

Almost all websites are safe and the ones I was inferring to are, you know…

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
It’s on the cusp I would say, at least for a primary phone. And even then not for hugely longer
I’m been using my iPhone XS Max as my primary and it’s great. The only down downside to me is the limited zoom features and the less advanced camera. I’m thinking of getting a 14 Pro Max but not really that tempted, the 15 pro max with the telescope lens makes more sense to me.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
My XS is down to 78% battery health and needs a new battery, but still works well other than needing frequent charging. However, it isn’t 5G capable, so that’s something to keep in mind if 5G is important to you. I’m not planning to keep my XS going once I get a new 14.
Also the crappy intel modem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.