Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
I'm seeing lots of benchmarks for video work, rendering work and some audio work but not much in relation to Photoshop. As a commercial retoucher i rarely use any of the gpu related features of photoshop i'd like to see test on:
large file handling 4-10GB (opening, saving of 8bit, 16bit and 32bit images)
converting large files from 8bit-16bit

I'd also like to know how it deals with rosetta Photoshop since UXP doesn't have all the functions required to re-write a lot of scripts used in our workflow

Has anyone seen anything or can anyone run some tests from PugetBench and macperformanceguide diglloyd tools.
My current systems have 64GB and 128GB ram so i'd be interested to see how unified memory compares. The Ultra seems overkill for photoshop however its the only way to get a lot of ram.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
I'm seeing lots of benchmarks for video work, rendering work and some audio work but not much in relation to Photoshop. As a commercial retoucher i rarely use any of the gpu related features of photoshop i'd like to see test on:
large file handling 4-10GB (opening, saving of 8bit, 16bit and 32bit images)
converting large files from 8bit-16bit

I'd also like to know how it deals with rosetta Photoshop since UXP doesn't have all the functions required to re-write a lot of scripts used in our workflow

Has anyone seen anything or can anyone run some tests from PugetBench and macperformanceguide diglloyd tools.
My current systems have 64GB and 128GB ram so i'd be interested to see how unified memory compares. The Ultra seems overkill for photoshop however its the only way to get a lot of ram.
Pierre, have a look at ArtisRight on YouTube - he’s done a wonderful series of benchmark tests on the new Studio Max base specifically for pro photographers, including diglloyd.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
thanks, some strange results there, it seems the laptops run better.
Yes, very surprising results in that the 14" and 16" Max and Pros are often that little bit faster than the new base Studio Max in most of the tests, albeit we're often just talking about 20 seconds or so.

Given that I've really got to move on from my 2014 27" iMac at some point over the next few months, I'll probably end up going for the Studio Max with 2TB storage, as I'll still have to pay for a new monitor as well. My mobile/travel laptop needs are still being met by my 2019 (intel) 16" MacBook pro.

Reactions: hxlover904

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
For 3.5-5.7k you'd expect a flyer!

i'm still running Mac Pro's 2010 (maxed out with pcie SSD's) and Mac Pro 2013 so i'm hoping for a big jump.

My top spec 2018 Mac Mini is faster than both but not by much.

AlteMac

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
New York suburb
For 3.5-5.7k you'd expect a flyer!

i'm still running Mac Pro's 2010 (maxed out with pcie SSD's) and Mac Pro 2013 so i'm hoping for a big jump.

My top spec 2018 Mac Mini is faster than both but not by much.
FWIW, I think you'll see a huge jump. I saw a quite noticeable jump in PSCC and Nik and Topaz plugins going from a 2013 MP with 64G to a Mac Mini M1 with 16G. For my other 2013 MP I am switching to Max Studio/64G.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
With your PC, are you seeing significant improvement when having 128GB vs 64GB? On the Apple Silicon Macs since the same memory pool is shared for VRAM as well therefore some GBs have to be discounted from there for calculation.

So far only very few M1 Ultra tests have been available concerning photographic tasks, and almost all are GPU 48 cores stock model not the topped out 64 cores.

fisherman188

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Happy to run any tests you want on a base model Max Studio.

I run lightroom and Photoshop pretty extensively but my files aren't quite as large as some of the ones you're working with.

Lightroom moves through the catalog and applies settings better than I've ever seen.

In Photoshop, When zoomed in on a 100MP panorama looking for dust spots or hot pixels, it's buttery smooth as I drag across (never had it them smooth before).

Topaz Denoise and Sharpen are crazy! On my 2018 i7 2.7Ghz MBP, sometimes the tools would take 1-2 minutes to update a view on a image with lots of edges. On the Studio updates take under 2 seconds for 25MP-ish images and most are under 1 second. Editing is finally enjoyable. I haven't been able to use more than 26GB RAM with LR, PS, and a Topaz plugin open so I'm not sure the 64GB RAM would be of much help to me.

I'm incredibly happy with the performance but probably returning this model for a 1-2TB SSD when they're available.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Happy to run any tests you want on a base model Max Studio.

I run lightroom and Photoshop pretty extensively but my files aren't quite as large as some of the ones you're working with.

Lightroom moves through the catalog and applies settings better than I've ever seen.

In Photoshop, When zoomed in on a 100MP panorama looking for dust spots or hot pixels, it's buttery smooth as I drag across (never had it them smooth before).

Topaz Denoise and Sharpen are crazy! On my 2018 i7 2.7Ghz MBP, sometimes the tools would take 1-2 minutes to update a view on a image with lots of edges. On the Studio updates take under 2 seconds for 25MP-ish images and most are under 1 second. Editing is finally enjoyable. I haven't been able to use more than 26GB RAM with LR, PS, and a Topaz plugin open so I'm not sure the 64GB RAM would be of much help to me.

I'm incredibly happy with the performance but probably returning this model for a 1-2TB SSD when they're available.

I'll see if i can find something to test, for now could you run the diglloyd benchmarks pls
Specifically the diglloydSpeed1 and diglloydHuge tests. I've seen results on youtube but they seem way off especially the diglloydHuge result, its slower than my 2010 Mac Pro result

I know the apple silicon version of Photoshop killed off CEP panels. Do you know if you can run .jsx scripts though?

Last edited:

fisherman188

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
I'll see if i can find something to test, for now could you run the diglloyd benchmarks pls
Specifically the diglloydSpeed1 and diglloydHuge tests. I've seen results on youtube but they seem way off especially the diglloydHuge result, its slower than my 2010 Mac Pro result

I know the apple silicon version of Photoshop killed off CEP panels. Do you know if you can run .jsx scripts though?
1648154460486.png

I'm getting this error when I try to run either test, is there something I need to set first?

OSB

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
With your PC, are you seeing significant improvement when having 128GB vs 64GB? On the Apple Silicon Macs since the same memory pool is shared for VRAM as well therefore some GBs have to be discounted from there for calculation.
That's not really the way that UMA works on the M1. The GPU doesn't carve out a separate pool of memory and hold onto it as dedicated VRAM. It's all the same memory, and if data is in-memory, both the CPU cores and the GPU cores can act upon it without moving it about.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002

Is it any good for High end Photoshop use ?(commercial retouching)​

The Mac Studio (any version) is one of the fastest personal computers on earth.
To put things in perspective, all the best photoshop jockeys in the world used computers leagues slower than this years ago.

Reactions: Moonlight

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009

Is it any good for High end Photoshop use ?(commercial retouching)​

The Mac Studio (any version) is one of the fastest personal computers on earth.
To put things in perspective, all the best photoshop jockeys in the world used computers leagues slower than this years ago.
Yes, i've been using Photoshop since the days of the G5. I have a PC built in 2020 which is no faster than a Mac built in 2010. This is why i want to know if the Studio is worth the investment.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Thanks for doing that. Whats the spec? 10CPU - 24GPU - 32GB Ram?
It seems your huge test was a little faster than the youtube vid by 7 secs. Pretty similar really though.

Anyone got an Ultra? Be interested to see how the 64GB and 128GB versions compare.

Thanks

fisherman188

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for doing that. Whats the spec? 10CPU - 24GPU - 32GB Ram?
It seems your huge test was a little faster than the youtube vid by 7 secs. Pretty similar really though.

Anyone got an Ultra? Be interested to see how the 64GB and 128GB versions compare.

Thanks
Yup.

M1 Max 10 CPU, 24, GPU, 16 NC
32GB RAM
512GB SSD

Planning to return it next week and get a 1TB or 2TB model when the stock comes back. I'm happy with its performance which is a huge jump from my 2018 MBP. Probably going to move to a move to a Studio at home then pick up an M2 Air for when I'm traveling. There's just something nicer about sitting down to a permanent desktop instead of always having to plug in the laptop. But there is still the option of an M1 Max 16 MBP that I'm also considering since the Max seems to be plenty power in LR and PS. Was really hoping that huge CPU heatsink and fan were going to have the Max running faster in the Studio than the MBP but looks like it's just over engineered for now.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
For anyone interested this is what we're seeing.
Diglloyd Huge results:
2022 MacStudio Max 10CPU 32GB RAM = 73.7
2021 MBP M1 MAX 64GB RAM = 19
2019 MacPro 28 Core 384GB RAM = 37.1
2019 iMac 5k 8-core 128GB RAM = 23.8
2018 MacMini i7 64GB RAM = 40.89
2013 MacPro 6-core 128GB RAM = 32.65
2010 Mac Pro 3.33GHz 32GB = 172 (this is probably much higher with modern PCIe SSDs)

Photoshop really is a Ram whore,
2013 MacPro 6-core 64GB RAM = 46.37

The M1 MBP scores the best with 64GB RAM so i'm hoping the MS 64GB will score the same, im surprised the 32GB MS is so low, all i can thing is it needs more ram.

Here's hoping the 128GB MacStudio can score around 15.

Reactions: spacedcadet

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Looks like this is a test of how much RAM you have, rather than how fast your system is.

Reactions: idktbh

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
I wouldn't say so. It only hit a max of 27GB or RAM on my 32GB machine.
I would say this hits the limit. The 32GB of RAM is shared with system, Photoshop, and perhaps some other apps running in the background. It's possible that the test requires way more than 27GB, so it's swapping your SSD when the system cannot allocate more RAM to it.

If the max is 27GB in a 64GB machine, then I can agree that this test really only needs 27GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.