Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
I would say this hits the limit. The 32GB of RAM is shared with system, Photoshop, and perhaps some other apps running in the background. It's possible that the test requires way more than 27GB, so it's swapping your SSD when the system cannot allocate more RAM to it.

If the max is 27GB in a 64GB machine, then I can agree that this test really only needs 27GB.
The benchmark generates a 56GB scratch file so the more ram you have availible the better. In theory it won't have to use scratch disks if you have enough Ram

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for doing that. Whats the spec? 10CPU - 24GPU - 32GB Ram?
It seems your huge test was a little faster than the youtube vid by 7 secs. Pretty similar really though.

Anyone got an Ultra? Be interested to see how the 64GB and 128GB versions compare.

Thanks
I have both a 48GPU/64GB Ultra and a 64GPU/128GB Ultra. I'll download and run the tests and post here.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
@pierre1610 I just ran the Huge test on my 48GPU/64GB Ultra and it scored 17.25. FWIW, the tasks in that test don't seem to every really stress the processor cores. Only about 50% utilization, and often lower. Same with the speed test, hardly used most of the CPU cores. GPU was similar on both tests too, not using much of the available power. Speed test score was 4.4.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
@pierre1610 I just ran the Huge test on my 48GPU/64GB Ultra and it scored 17.25. FWIW, the tasks in that test don't seem to every really stress the processor cores. Only about 50% utilization, and often lower. Same with the speed test, hardly used most of the CPU cores. GPU was similar on both tests too, not using much of the available power. Speed test score was 4.4.
Can you post the results please.

The tests are indicitive of how Photoshop stresses the system. Unfortunately Photoshop is never able to utilise availible resources due to the way it is written. Although it is multicore enabled most tasks can't use more than 1 core. It does however love a lot of Ram.

How much Ram are you letting Photoshop use? It would be great if you could set it to use 90%

It sounds like your results are:
48GPU/64GB Ultra
Speed1 = 4.4
Huge = 17.25

64GPU/128GB Ultra
Speed1 = ?
Huge = ?

The "batch" test would be a useful one to run as well as it uses a lot of commonly used filters.

Last edited:

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019

The tests are indicitive of how Photoshop stresses the system. Unfortunately Photoshop is never able to utilise availible resources due to the way it is written. Although it is multicore enabled most tasks can't use more than 1 core. It does however love a lot of Ram.

How much Ram are you letting Photoshop use? It would be great if you could set it to use 90%

48GPU/64GB Ultra
Speed1 = 4.4
Huge = 17.25

64GPU/128GB Ultra
Speed1 = ?
Huge = ?

The "batch" test would be a useful one to run as well as it uses a lot of commonly used filters.
I can run the batch but since you have to use your own photo won't it vary widely by the input photo?

The Ultra 64/128 is at work and I'm sick today so I'll update with those results on Monday.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019

48GPU/64GB Ultra
Speed1 = 4.4
Huge = 17.25

64GPU/128GB Ultra
Speed1 = ?
Huge = ?

@pierre1610 Back at the office today and here's the new results:

64GPU/128GB Ultra
Speed1 = 4.37
Huge = 16.11

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
@pierre1610 Back at the office today and here's the new results:

64GPU/128GB Ultra
Speed1 = 4.37
Huge = 16.11
Thanks for doing that, the Ultra's seem to get a way better "Huge" score.

I'm quite surprissed by both your "huge" scores though as someone else with a 64GPU/64GB ultra got 30
What version of photoshop are you using?

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for doing that, the Ultra's seem to get a way better "Huge" score.

I'm quite surprissed by both your "huge" scores though as someone else with a 64GPU/64GB ultra got 30
What version of photoshop are you using?
Hmm, well they should run it a few times. I think there's some sort of bug as when I ran 10 iterations the first time 7 of the ten averaged 16.1, and the last three were all like 25. So I ran it again and it all of them averaged 16.11. I saw that on my other machine too.

It might be good to know if they followed the instructions correctly as well, and used the sudo purge function to clear the RAM and made sure they weren't running any other applications. The test was using about 58GB of RAM, so on a 64GB machine that would be stressing the memory if you had any other apps open. They also may not have set PS to use 90% of the RAM like I did.

In terms of versions, I am using version 23.2.2, the latest release.

anthonyhague

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Manchester
Adult80HD - Please tell me about the Photoshop Mixer Brush? Is it awesome on the Ultra?

Truth is my 2016 27" iMac 32Gb ram 4Gb GPU, still does a good job at retouching but I move to my 3D PC for skin work with photoshop mixer brush (PC is £6k AMD 5950x, 64 ram with RTX 3090 GPU (most powerful GPU). Windows is just slow though so it doesnt matter much what tech you have, like the photoshop drop-down menus take 1 second to open, it only uses 2 of the 16 cpu's and my SSD is 6000mb/s but rarely gets over 1k. But the RTX 3090 GPU lets me use a huge mixer brush. my old iMac cant really keep up with the mixer brush.

Im eager to swap for the base Mac Studio Ultra with 2Tb SSD as its just for photoshop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? Im just hoping everything is running well and I wont have lots of bugs.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
London
Adult80HD - Please tell me about the Photoshop Mixer Brush? Is it awesome on the Ultra?

Im eager to swap for the base Mac Studio Ultra with 2Tb SSD as its just for photoshop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? Im just hoping everything is running well and I wont have lots of bugs.
Hi, I’ve just been using Photoshop for about 3 days solid, editing, comping and retouching 16 bit 45 Mpx Nikon files, which because of them being 16 bit and all the layers were about 6-900 Mb in size, and the performance was awesome! No slow down, no lag: brushes, clone stamp, healing brush, zoom in/out, filters etc all working instantly. Now I know they’re not the most arduous tasks in the world, but I totally forgot that I was working in 16 bit as there usually is a slow down or choppiness in viewing the files on my old system (nMP & last intel MacMini). Current system: Ultra base with 4tb NVMe drive for files. I imagine you’d love the Mac Studio for PS work!
Hope that helps :)

Reactions: StudioMacs

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Has anyone noticed any improvements, now that Photoshop 23.3 has been optimized for multicore and GPU performance?

Attachments

• 46F149F0-24EF-41A9-A7D9-27DD512EFDB0.png
    46F149F0-24EF-41A9-A7D9-27DD512EFDB0.png
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 92

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Has anyone noticed any improvements, now that Photoshop 23.3 has been optimized for multicore and GPU performance?
This update actually should help performance on even older Intel Macs that had dGPUs especially iMacs. I will get to do some test next week at work on some 16-bit illustrations for vinyl cover, which has always been dog slow on an iMac 2017 to render real time.

Reactions: brerlappin

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
This update actually should help performance on even older Intel Macs that had dGPUs especially iMacs. I will get to do some test next week at work on some 16-bit illustrations for vinyl cover, which has always been dog slow on an iMac 2017 to render real time.
I just opened a 10k pixel wide 16-bit .PSB illustration, dozens of layers and quite a few linked smart layers of gigantic raster resolutions.

My iMac 2017 (7700k, RX580, 64GB RAM) went from really choppy to within usable state. Toggling layer visibility now takes 1 second at most where before it was sometimes 5 times that. Zooming in and out is almost instant (if I go into preferences to toggle GPU compositing off, zooming is slower and will introduce 1 second beachball at times).

Can imagine the M1 Macs benefiting even more due to GPU core counts. FYI My RX580 never exceeded 25% GPU processing used according to iStat Menus.

AlteMac

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
New York suburb
Hi, I’ve just been using Photoshop for about 3 days solid, editing, comping and retouching 16 bit 45 Mpx Nikon files, which because of them being 16 bit and all the layers were about 6-900 Mb in size, and the performance was awesome! No slow down, no lag: brushes, clone stamp, healing brush, zoom in/out, filters etc all working instantly. Now I know they’re not the most arduous tasks in the world, but I totally forgot that I was working in 16 bit as there usually is a slow down or choppiness in viewing the files on my old system (nMP & last intel MacMini). Current system: Ultra base with 4tb NVMe drive for files. I imagine you’d love the Mac Studio for PS work!
Hope that helps :)
I have similar experience with Leica files from cameras that range from 47 to 60mp, with retouching, resizing, sharpening working very fast, including Topaz sharpen that uses AI and was sloooow on a nMP. But I'm on a Studio Max base, not Ultra, with 64G memory. I don't do video, and so far the Studio Max is all I need. It is also noticeably faster than a Mini M1/16G I have in a different location so I have another Studio Max coming in June.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
As a commercial retoucher i rarely use any of the gpu related features of photoshop i'd like to see test on:
large file handling 4-10GB (opening, saving of 8bit, 16bit and 32bit images)
Commercial photographer/retoucher here.

I'd respectfully disagree that retouching doesn't use much of the gpu. I monitor my GPU usage with the iStat menus app and my eGPU gets maxed out on many occasions during my workflow, starting with RAW editing, all the way to functions like liquify, healing tool, brushes and exports. I think the Mac Studio would be an excellent machine for retouching, but I would likely be able to get by with one of the rumored M2 Mac Minis that may be announced in the next six months.

Incidentally, I currently have 40GB of RAM but would likely move down to 32GB due to the way Apple silicon relies on its SSD instead of utilizing RAM.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Commercial photographer/retoucher here.

I'd respectfully disagree that retouching doesn't use much of the gpu. I monitor my GPU usage with the iStat menus app and my eGPU gets maxed out on many occasions during my workflow, starting with RAW editing, all the way to functions like liquify, healing tool, brushes and exports. I think the Mac Studio would be an excellent machine for retouching, but I would likely be able to get by with one of the rumored M2 Mac Minis that may be announced in the next six months.

Incidentally, I currently have 40GB of RAM but would likely move down to 32GB due to the way Apple silicon relies on its SSD instead of utilizing RAM.
I think it will hugely depend on your workflow, i know photoshop is using GPU more and more, the older tools and methods certainly haven't made a transition yet.

Can anyone with a Mac Studio let me know if you can run scripts in photoshop that have a UI to them. As i understand it Apple silicon dropped support for CEP panels but can it still run old scripts that have a scriptUI interface.
This could be a deal breaker for me and the £7000 machine

Thanks

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
I'm seeing lots of benchmarks for video work, rendering work and some audio work but not much in relation to Photoshop. As a commercial retoucher i rarely use any of the gpu related features of photoshop i'd like to see test on:
large file handling 4-10GB (opening, saving of 8bit, 16bit and 32bit images)
converting large files from 8bit-16bit

I'd also like to know how it deals with rosetta Photoshop since UXP doesn't have all the functions required to re-write a lot of scripts used in our workflow

Has anyone seen anything or can anyone run some tests from PugetBench and macperformanceguide diglloyd tools.
My current systems have 64GB and 128GB ram so i'd be interested to see how unified memory compares. The Ultra seems overkill for photoshop however its the only way to get a lot of ram.
Can't wait for Lloyd Chambers to take delivery of one and do his review/tests which focus on Photoshop/Lightroom. On a sidenote, he's had a terrible experience with the Studio Display.

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
can anyone answer the photoshop script question? Can you open a jsx script that has an interface? This will tell us if it supports scriptUI or not on apple silicon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.