Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
My parents are leaving for UK this coming Wednesday. They're going to be in London for the next few days. Anyone thats lives in the area knows that if there's any Apple Store or Apple Retails that can be trusted? I wanna get an iPod Nano and my parents are gonna get it for me. The problem is i don't know where i can get them. I know there's a store in Regent Street but anyone got theirs from there recently? Are there stocks available? Aother thing is, if my parents were to call Apple ( the free line ) how can the payment be made and approximately how long will it take for delivery?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Well, are you able to go to a store? I went to the Apple Store on North Michigan Avenue, yesterday... [AWESOME STORE!!!].

Anyway, they had the iPod nano was there, along with a ton of iPod minis.

If I were you, I would call the closest Apple Store, have them hold one for you and go get it and then your parents can pay you back. :)

Hope that helps :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
If I assume that you're from the States-- why would you want your parents to pick up the nano from the UK? The exchange rate would make it much more expensive! :confused:

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
thankz but my parents aren't going to North Michigan Avenue. Regarding about going to a local Apple Store, my parents are going to be away for like 2-3 months so i won't get to go to any Apple Store anytime soon...

Anyone from the UK around here who've been to the Store in Regent Street?

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
Couldn't you get them to order it online for you?

Buying a 4gb Nano from the UK will cost them the equivalent of $330!

Love it I do, but I'd get it from the US personally...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Don't forget to add in a power adaptor for whatever country your in... seems like it would be better to just order in online in whatever country you are in so you don't have to spring for an extra part to use it.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Yeah i truly understand all that...
Btw, "Don't forget to add in a power adaptor for whatever country your in"
Whats the voltage for the power adapters supplied with the iPods sold in UK?

btw, lots talking about buying it online, how can the payment be made (assuming i'm a foreigner) and approximately how long will it take for delivery in UK and will there be extra charges (example shipping)? My sis lives in UK so buying online isn't that much a problem but i was thinking since my parents are going for shopping around the area, might as well buy it there.

EDIT: i just checked the Apple Store Online, whats this £139.00
(£118.30 ex VAT). Whats the ex VAT?

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Hey, Darknetworks, stop talking and listen....
DON"T buy it from the UK if you live in the US. Just order it from apple.com

UK £ 139 = 255.3708 U.S. dollars for the 2Gb nano
UK£ 19 = 34.9068 U.S. dollars for the US power adaptor (I think)

Total = 290 $ approx.

Apple.com (US price) = 199 $

btw VAT = Value Added Tax, an extra 17.5% on most things. We love paying it over here as it goes to the government.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
DarkNetworks said:

btw, lots talking about buying it online, how can the payment be made (assuming i'm a foreigner) and approximately how long will it take for delivery in UK and will there be extra charges (example shipping)? My sis lives in UK so buying online isn't that much a problem but i was thinking since my parents are going for shopping around the area, might as well buy it there.

Ok, I am really confused. First, where do you live? Why would you have it shipped to the UK if you don't live there? Why not just have it shipped to your home address and buy it from your country's Apple online store so you get the right taxes, free delivery, right power adaptor and best shipping time? You can pay with a credit card, and you can get a virtual credit card number from PayPal and transfer money there from a bank account if you don't have a CC.

VAT = Value Added Tax. I'm not in the UK, so I'm not up on the details, but it's a tax on most (all?) consumer goods of about 16%, I think. Like I said, I'm a Yank, I don't know about these goofy UK taxes.

Also, if your parents bring an iPod back into whatever country you are from, there is a chance they will have to pay an import tax to your home country as well. You'd have to check on that yourself, though, based on your country's laws.

I'm not sure what the voltage that the UK uses, but I forgot that the nano doesn't have an AC adaptor, just a USB cable to charge and sync that way, so it's not a concern.

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
DarkNetworks said:

Wow, this is a really bizarre thread.

Point blank you won't be able to order anything from the UK online store, due to you not being a resident in this country, much the same were I wanting to buy from the US store.

Second, and this is possibly where everyone's getting all mixed up...you do live in the states don't you? Because if you do, then I'm completely and utterly lost as to why you'd possibly want to pay far more to get it from the UK, rather than the US - where delivery from the online store would be a week or so.

Do you live in the states???

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
XIII said:
I got my black nano from Regent Street on Saturday. Plenty in stock.

I'm soo glad to hear that...ty...white ones available?

JoeKarame said:
Wow, this is a really bizarre thread.

Point blank you won't be able to order anything from the UK online store, due to you not being a resident in this country, much the same were I wanting to buy from the US store.

Second, and this is possibly where everyone's getting all mixed up...you do live in the states don't you? Because if you do, then I'm completely and utterly lost as to why you'd possibly want to pay far more to get it from the UK, rather than the US - where delivery from the online store would be a week or so.

Do you live in the states???

Are you serious that i can't buy one from the UK online store if you're not a resident?. Can payments be made via credit card?As for the second question, no i don't live in the US.

Anyone knows about the voltage thing in UK?

stevep said:
Hey, Darknetworks, stop talking and listen....
btw VAT = Value Added Tax, an extra 17.5% on most things. We love paying it over here as it goes to the government.

K..firstly i'm listening and ok i'll stop talking...

Btw, is the VAT thing, just for online purchases? What if i buy it at the store? Will there be any VAT charges?

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
DarkNetworks said:
I'm soo glad to hear that...ty...white ones available?

Are you serious that i can't buy one from the UK online store if you're not a resident?. Can payments be made via credit card?As for the second question, no i don't live in the US.

Anyone knows about the voltage thing in UK?

K..firstly i'm listening and ok i'll stop talking...

Btw, is the VAT thing, just for online purchases? What if i buy it at the store? Will there be any VAT charges?

VAT is put on everything over here, and is incorporated into the price - the reason they give you the 'ex' VAT price aswell on sites is that if you run a business, you can claim the VAT back from the government.

As for the Voltage thing, I don't think you'd have a problem with it - depending on where you live though, you'd need to get a plug adapter to make it fit in whatever sockets your country uses - ours are three pronged plugs, and I'd imagine that you have a two prong one where you live.

So...You just have to accept the added VAT charges, along with the fact that buying a Nano from the UK is always going to be more expensive than the US ( :( ), don't worry about the voltage issues, and you should be fine.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
If you're in America buy it online from the Apple store (or get your parents to buy it online for you).

It's more expensive to purchase in the UK plus you'll also require an adapter to recharge it in America, etc.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Euan said:
If you're in America buy it online from the Apple store (or get your parents to buy it online for you).

It's more expensive to purchase in the UK plus you'll also require an adapter to recharge it in America, etc.

U live in the UK rite? Whats the voltage? n what adapter is used?
Next thing is, is it true that if you're not a resident, u can't purchase it from the online site? How can payments be made?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
DarkNetworks said:

OK. WHAT COUNTRY DO YOU LIVE IN? You say you don't live in the US, you are apparantly not in the UK as you are askign about VAT, voltages, and are dismayed you can't buy fromt he UK online store if you're not in the UK.,

SO WHERE F$@* DO YOU LIVE? No one is going to be able to really answer yuo without that very freaking simple bit of information. Here is a map to help you figure it out.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
DarkNetworks said:
U live in the UK rite? Whats the voltage? n what adapter is used?
Next thing is, is it true that if you're not a resident, u can't purchase it from the online site? How can payments be made?
240 volts. you need an adapter. i was in the States back in november and i need an adapater to charge anything.

i believe apple will only ship goods bought on UK store to UK and from American store to the US. get your parents to pay for it on the american store and ship to your address.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
DarkNetworks - where do you live? Then we might be able to give you some more advice.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Euan said:
DarkNetworks - where do you live? Then we might be able to give you some more advice.

I'm studying in Malaysia, therefore i'm currently in Malaysia. My parents live in Japan.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
There's an online Japan and Signapore store.... either of those might allow you to order and ship to Malaysia - there must be a online store in Malaysia that would allow your parents to buy it and ship it to you.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
DarkNetworks said:
I'm studying in Malaysia, therefore i'm currently in Malaysia. My parents live in Japan.

Just like pulling teeth, but finally, we have an answer! The Apple Japan online store is selling nano's for ~$198US (plus whatever taxes you guys have there) vs. $199US (plus sales tax, generally around 6%, so $211US after taxes) in the US vs. $215US ($253US with VAT).

So, the best bet for you would probably be to have your parents order it online and just ship it over to you. Otherwise you are going to end up paying at least $50 extra for a 2gb model.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
mrgreen4242 said:
Just like pulling teeth, but finally, we have an answer! The Apple Japan online store is selling nano's for ~$198US (plus whatever taxes you guys have there) vs. $199US (plus sales tax, generally around 6%, so $211US after taxes) in the US vs. $215US ($253US with VAT).

So, the best bet for you would probably be to have your parents order it online and just ship it over to you. Otherwise you are going to end up paying at least $50 extra for a 2gb model.

iPod nano 2GB costs around 21,800Yen in Japan. Whereas, in UK, after conversion, it costs 27,902.75Yen. OMG how dumb of me to ask my parents to buy it in UK. Ok thnx...i'll talk to my parents to get it from me from Japan. thank you so very much.

Euan said:
There's an online Japan and Signapore store.... either of those might allow you to order and ship to Malaysia - there must be a online store in Malaysia that would allow your parents to buy it and ship it to you.

Yeah there's an online store in Singapore, i was thinking of getting it there but they don't ship it to Malaysia. It's only within Singapore. There isn
't any online store whatsoever in Malaysia. There's only this Apple Centre here, but the iPod nanos haven't arrive yet. I think it's going to take a couple of weeks for it to arrive. Nevermind, i'll ask my parents to either get one from the Apple Store in Shibuya or order it from the online store and ship it to me.thankz for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.