Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Hey all...

I'm a web developer coming from the Windowz world and I recently got my new 12" iBook. I used Dreamweaver on PC since Ultradev 4. I'm very pleased how Macromedia improved Dreamweaver's interface over time. So I expected a stunning interface for Dreamweaver on Mac OS X, or at least something similar. I was shocked today when I downloaded it on my iBook, it looks very awful, everything looks very inconsistent, nothing seems to fit as it should be. I know how most Mac apps have those floating windows (I've got no problem with that) But I'm sure it could be done a lot better.

So is it just me? Or is it actually really ugly?

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
when I downloaded it on my iBook

Prepare for the pirate police :p

I use DreamWeaver on Windows at work, and the last time I used Dreamweaver on OS X, if I remember right, the interface wasn't much different at all.

I use SubEthaEdit on OS X though for php/html stuff, and CSSEdit for css stuff (both are highly recommended, and free!)

edit:
To the post below mine: Ahh, should've thought of that! You're right, they do.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Josh said:
Prepare for the pirate police :p

Run for your lives! :p Just to clarify, I downloaded Dreamweaver directly from Macromedia.

Josh said:
I use DreamWeaver on Windows at work, and the last time I used Dreamweaver on OS X, if I remember right, the interface wasn't much different at all.

Well, it's essentially the same, it's just that the OS X version doesn't look as consistent.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Strange.. AFAIK Dreamworks is exactly the same for PC and Mac? At least the last version we got which was only a year ago..

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
You are spot on, Dreamweaver looks horrible in Mac OS X and thats the exact reason why I use GoLive to help with my Web Dev :)

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
abrooks said:
You are spot on, Dreamweaver looks horrible in Mac OS X and thats the exact reason why I use GoLive to help with my Web Dev :)

I hope they improve the interface with Dreamweaver 8 (which was announced by Macromedia just yesterday). It mentions interface improvements for Mac, let's hope for the best.

I've only seen GoLive 4 on windows, which I'm sure isn't anywhere close to CS2. But it's a shame that it doesn't support server technologies anymore. That's why I use Dreamweaver.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
mnkeybsness said:

I don't get what you're saying... Here's what Macromedia is saying:

Workspace layouts
Customize and save workspace configurations. Dreamweaver 8 ships with four different configurations that are tailored to the needs of designers and coders. Pick and choose, or easily build a custom workspace.

Tabbed documents for the Mac
New document tabs on Mac help simplify the user interface and make it easier to select documents.

Is there any screenshots for the OS X version?

nsutt22

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Way back Dreamweaver fan...

I have used Dreamweaver on the Mac since version 3 i believe and currently own 8. It appears mostly the same as always to me. I do have to say it looks better on my crystal clear PBook 17" then my old PowerMac 5260 :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Watching that little video on the Macromedia site, there's one feature I love, the compressing of parts of the code! That's genius... Does the free editors have that? That would make things much easier to manage and cleaner.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
MontyZ said:
Is DW 8 newer than MX 2004 ? These version numbers are so confusing.

Yep, and just to make it more confusing, here's how it works:

First was Dreamweaver 1, 2, 3, then 4. There was also Ultradev 1, then right to 4. Ultradev is the advanced version of Dreamweaver that has support for server technologies. Later on, Macromedia announced Dreamweaver MX, which happens to be version 6, not 5 :rolleyes:. Macromedia scrapped the project for 5. Then created version 6 and combined Dreamweaver with Ultradev (Which is basically renaming Ultradev to Dreamweaver). Then later on released Dreamweaver MX 2004 (Version 7), and now Dreamweaver 8.

Paulius

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
I also recently got myself a Mac mini. I'm a web designer and I've been using Dreamweaver on a Windows PC for a long time.

The Interface is okay... But what I hate is the performance! When I'm using Dreamweaver, the system load jumps up to 3, and I get the spinning beachball wenever I touch anything in Dreamweaver.

I've used Dreamweaver for a whole week and it already made my Mac crash 4 times! (A full crash, where I needed to yank out the power cable)

So hopefully, performance will be increased in the next version of Dreamweaver.

Oh and Fireworks is really stunning also. It uses 15% CPU when idle!

PS: Just now, I'm having more problems, the panels don't even appear! I've had to "force quit" Dreamweaver.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Have you downloaded the latest updates from Macromedia? I haven't used Dreamweaver recently but it never gave me that many problems.

Fireworks using up precious CPU when idle is very annoying!

Paulius

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
munkle said:
Have you downloaded the latest updates from Macromedia? I haven't used Dreamweaver recently but it never gave me that many problems.

Fireworks using up precious CPU when idle is very annoying!

Hmm, I didin't think of doing that. Guess that I'll try updating.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
The updates do promise improved stability and performance. It'll make Finder snappier too! :p

Check out the Fireworks update, whilst you're there as well. Doesn't "fix" the idle CPU usage though.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I havn't used 8 yet but I do admit I prefer MX/MX 2004 on PC over mac. It's just a little nicer to work in, I mean I can handel seeing "through" photoshop & flash but I found DW took some adjustment on the mac after 2 years using it exclusivly on PC.

Paulius

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
Okay guys,

Installed the Dreamweaver update... It _seems_ more stable, but the big CPU peeks still remain when changing views or doing some sort of editing.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Yes, Dreamweaver 2004 is hideous. It looks like a PC app. And the performance leaves something to be desired. I got it instead of GoLive cause it seemed to be the standard and the student discount was really good. So I'm not compltely disappointed in it, but it has a lot of room for improvement IMHO.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
I've posted this question on a different thread, but didn't get any answers.

It also fits in this thread.

In the PC version of dreamweaver MX, the pages listed in the File pallete were alphabetical.

In the Mac version, there seems to be no logic to the way the site's files are listed, and I can see no way of correcting this.

Please please please help!

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Cloudgazer said:
I've posted this question on a different thread, but didn't get any answers.

It also fits in this thread.

In the PC version of dreamweaver MX, the pages listed in the File pallete were alphabetical.

In the Mac version, there seems to be no logic to the way the site's files are listed, and I can see no way of correcting this.

Please please please help!
They seem alphabetical to me, it's just that the files are mixed with folders, unlike windows, where the folders are at the top and the rest of the files below them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.