Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Every time purchased AC, I ended up needing it. Most purchases, I don’t get it, and I didn’t need it.

So, if anything, it is worth it for peace of mind.

If you use a heavy duty case, like the Otterbox Defender, I wouldn’t bother with AC.

If you get an SE3, I wouldn’t bother with AC.

If you get a 13 Pro Max, and like to go naked, then AC might be a good idea.

I recently bought a 13 Mini and I never use cases. I didn’t get AC.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I bought the AppleCare for 2 years cover is it worth it ? It is £9-49 a month.
I don't normally get it, but T-Mobile (my carrier) tacked it on last year without asking when we bought new iPhones. I let that slide and this year I needed it when I dropped my 11 Pro Max. Pulverized the rear glass and deep cracked the screen. $99 for a replacement.

I don't use cases so AC+ pretty much saved my bacon.

I got it for my daughter on her brand new SE 2020 AND an Otterbox Defender Pro. She basically destroyed the pristine iPhone 6s she was given (no case).

Once all phones are paid off though I'm dropping AC+.

Davycrocket825

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
East Sussex
Every time purchased AC, I ended up needing it. Most purchases, I don’t get it, and I didn’t need it.

So, if anything, it is worth it for peace of mind.

If you use a heavy duty case, like the Otterbox Defender, I wouldn’t bother with AC.

If you get an SE3, I wouldn’t bother with AC.

If you get a 13 Pro Max, and like to go naked, then AC might be a good idea.

I recently bought a 13 Mini and I never use cases. I didn’t get AC.
I’m only a regular user , what do you mean by go naked?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Depends if you use a case. I have always used cases on my iPhones given they are such expensive devices and have never caused any damage to any of my phones. I have never had any requirement for AC+ and have declined it at every opportunity. Even my two iPads have Otterbox Defender cases rendering them close to indestructible. :D

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
I would say it is now… All because of the way Apple is locking things down, where critical, but once upon a time, consumer replaceable parts are now being hard wired/soldered onto the new chips… What are they calling it; SoaC "System on a Chip,"???

Davycrocket825

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
East Sussex
Depends if you use a case. I have always used cases on my iPhones given they are such expensive devices and have never caused any damage to any of my phones. I have never had any requirement for AC+ and have declined it at every opportunity. Even my two iPads have Otterbox Defender cases rendering them close to indestructible. :D
What is ottobox defender ? I use malawarebytes paid for a

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
What is ottobox defender ? I use malawarebytes paid for a
0CDABB7F-54DE-4E6F-B7FA-A0CA4630ECD4.jpeg

Otterbox is the brand of the case and Defender is the specific design. These are rugged cases which offer the heaviest level of protection. You can purchase the same cases for iPhones also. I had one on my iPhone 12 Mini for around a year and a half and did not suffer any scratches, marks or damage when I took it out.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I got it for my daughter on her brand new SE 2020 AND an Otterbox Defender Pro. She basically destroyed the pristine iPhone 6s she was given (no case).
That is funny, I have a similar story.

My wife is very frugal with her spending, and back when we were dating, she would use what ever phone was the cheapest. They were usually turds and always had problems.

When the iPhone 5 was launched, I decided to buy one for her for her birthday, and she loved it, not realizing how crappy her cheap phones were until she started using a good one.

I went caseless with the two iPhones (2G, 4s) I used at the time without issue, so figure she could too. She drop her phone a few times, eventually cracking the screen. Again, she was frugal, so she used it cracked. I put packing tape on the glass to make it more smooth for her.

I decided to try the 6s Plus when they launched, and gave her my 5s. She cracked it a few months later.

As soon as the SE1 launched, I got one for her and a Otterbox Defender case, which lasted without issue for almost 5 years when I replaced with a SE3 and another Otterbox Defender case.

I hate cases, but some people (like my wife) really needs them.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I’m only a regular user , what do you mean by go naked?
That's when you leave home with your phone without any clothes on.

It's relevant because for one you have no pockets to put your phone in. Or you might get tackled by security while shopping for groceries and the phone flies out of your hand.

So if you often leave home naked with just your phone in hand, while you might be a good ad for Apple wallet (you can pay, unlock your car, show ID and vax status), it's safer if you have Apple Care.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That is funny, I have a similar story.

My wife is very frugal with her spending, and back when we were dating, she would use what ever phone was the cheapest. They were usually turds and always had problems.

When the iPhone 5 was launched, I decided to buy one for her for her birthday, and she loved it, not realizing how crappy her cheap phones were until she started using a good one.

I went caseless with the two iPhones (2G, 4s) I used at the time without issue, so figure she could too. She drop her phone a few times, eventually cracking the screen. Again, she was frugal, so she used it cracked. I put packing tape on the glass to make it more smooth for her.

I decided to try the 6s Plus when they launched, and gave her my 5s. She cracked it a few months later.

As soon as the SE1 launched, I got one for her and a Otterbox Defender case, which lasted without issue for almost 5 years when I replaced with a SE3 and another Otterbox Defender case.

I hate cases, but some people (like my wife) really needs them.
I am a none-case user. My son used to use cases but with his SE 2020 he's been using it without a case. I don't worry about him because he's very careful and deliberate with his phone. I've never had him come to me with any damage or any problems.

My daughter on the other hand protested a case when I got her the new phone. But she's proven that without a case she will fumble and damage the phone. She lost her first phone (an iPhone 5) on the first day she had it, she spilled lemonade over her laptop (dead, dead, dead now) and then basically destroyed her 6s. So she gets a case.

My wife is the opposite. She has always wanted and used cases. She will go to great lengths to find one that she likes and typically Otterbox is what she goes for. She has no problem walking around with her phones in cases and THEN in a holster on her belt.

That said, my wife has never damaged her phones or cracked a screen…which is how my daughter ended up with a pristine 6s that she later destroyed.

Me, I handle with as much care as I can. Both times I've damaged my phones was because I was not feeling well and therefore not paying attention.

Reactions: Juicy Box

Davycrocket825

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
East Sussex
View attachment 2024964
Otterbox is the brand of the case and Defender is the specific design. These are rugged cases which offer the heaviest level of protection. You can purchase the same cases for iPhones also. I had one on my iPhone 12 Mini for around a year and a half and did not suffer any scratches, marks or damage when I took it out.
Where do you buy them ?

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Had to replace my phone this morning. Would have been 600+ if I didnt have apple care.

dreamerstree

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2021
I bought the AppleCare for 2 years cover is it worth it ? It is £9-49 a month.
Yes. People often decline AC+ because they "take good care" of their phones. That's great, but what if the phone has an issue that you didn't cause? What if the display just goes out, or the speaker blows, or the main logic board has a failure? I spent 9 years behind a Genius Bar...and while I love the products and think they are second to none, they also aren't immune to failure.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yes. People often decline AC+ because they "take good care" of their phones. That's great, but what if the phone has an issue that you didn't cause? What if the display just goes out, or the speaker blows, or the main logic board has a failure? I spent 9 years behind a Genius Bar...and while I love the products and think they are second to none, they also aren't immune to failure.
Warranty is good for a year on that stuff in the US, longer in many other areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.