Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Almost always, yes.

If something happens to your phone, you’ll save at least $51 (on a display) and as much a $301 (on a whole replacement.

If you’re $301 sure that nothing will ever happen to your phone, then you can save $199 by skipping it.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
In Europe it is covered by a compulsory 2-year warranty.

And here in Australia it's two years for phones and three for computers. Our consumer watchdog had to compel Apple to honour that (and to make it clearer to customers that that was the law).

So here you really only need it for the recently added accidental damage cover, but you can still compare to other insurance options.

Reactions: one more

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
I always get AC+ because I'm not using cases and also love the express replacement if something goes south. IMO it's so much peace of mind to have it!

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
if AC+ is good in your country then get it.i mean if it gets the job done then its worthed it.in Indonesia the "AC+" is nonsense as the phone is sent to a 3rd party for repairs.

Reactions: Barbareren

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'm on the yearly upgrade cycle.
I like my phones naked and no screen cover. Using the phone in its glorious original design and without added bulk.

I'm not prone to damage or drop my phones but the main reason I do it is so I can express replace it for a fee and have a virtually new phone I can easily flip.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
If you bought ANY Apple Silicon product. You better have Apple Care.

My God. You have a throw in the trash computer if you don't

They are so Flipping Expensive to fix.

One guy said his trackpad only to replace on an M1 laptop was over $600!! if he did not have Apple Care.

Once your Apple Care Expires you are screwed and on your own because there is not one repair that is cheap

Maybe the $200 repair to replace the battery. other than that.

And your SSD will fail at some point.

This is why I am still on a 2019 27" i9 iMac and also a 16 " MacBook Pro i9 intel.

Apple silicon scares me. It breaks and you have to throw it out after the Apple Care Expires

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
It's worked out very cheap for me so far overall. It's insurance so cheap when you need it and expensive when you don't
Another huge thumbs up for Otterbox defender. Two kids here and it's saved their phones so many times!!!
Should be available anywhere try Amazon.
Just a note: the volume buttons are a bit harder to press than normal so you have to be prepared to get used to that.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Like insurance, extended warranties are a waste of money (beyond the peace of mind benefit) unless you use/need them. Warranties are typically priced such that when averaged out, the warranty provider comes out ahead which therefore means the average consumer ends up being on the losing end.

Some exceptions to this "rule" may be if the markup on non-warranty repairs is so high that the company can still come out ahead because the actual repair cost to them isn't nearly as much as what they'd otherwise charge the customer. The consumer makes out because they wouldn't have to pay the (highly inflated) repair price.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
We need to be careful how we obtain AC or AC+ —- If a user gets a TMO protection plan, that includes and largely depends on AC, it costs $18 per month on an Eye Phone 13. Two years of this plan costs (18 x 24) $432. Get AC+ independently of the carrier, and it runs $200 or so. If you’re like us (me and the lovely missus), the TMO protection plans cost a combined $864 = the cost of a replacement iPhone, so what’s the point? Mathematics says: Get the AC+ directly from Apple. Don’t inflate the carrier’s profit margin unnecessarily.

/end rant

Reactions: Brad7

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
This discussion leaves me wondering if the majority of repairs by Apple Care/Apple care + are defect claims or damage claims.

Reactions: Saturn007

Muttx7

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
Indiana
I bought Apple Care with my 13PM even though I have a case on it. I had a 7 that I dropped and it hit on a corner, dislodging the logic board. That was even with an Otterbox defender on it. I received a replacement phone the very next day.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
There are two types of T-Mobile protection plans. "Protection <360>" includes AppleCare services, JUMP! Upgrades, damage. loss/theft protection, McAfee security, etc. for $18/month on an iPhone 13 Pro. The other is a regular "Device Protection" plan which includes damage, loss/theft and mechanical/electrical breakdown protection for $14/month.

The Protection <360> plan offers more than AppleCare+ so not really a fair comparison. The regular Device Protection plan seems comparable to AppleCare+ with theft and loss. On an iPhone 13 Pro, that would be $269 versus $14/month (or $336 over 2 years) with T-Mobile plan.

Whether or not any of these protection plans are worth it is up to the customer but the price difference between AppleCare+ plan and a similar T-Mobile plan doesn't appear to be quite as much as you stated.

Reactions: NoBoMac

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
AC is not required as the standard manufacturers warranty should cover any faults for a year or two depending on where you reside.

I take care of my belongings so have never suffered any damage on any laptops, iPads, iPhones, TVs, etc… there’s no way I am paying hundreds of dollars each year and then an additional excess for an iPhone when I can stick it in a case, use a screen protector, and not treat it like trash.

Reactions: Barbareren

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
AC is not required as the standard manufacturers warranty should cover any faults for a year or two depending on where you reside.

I take care of my belongings so have never suffered any damage on any laptops, iPads, iPhones, TVs, etc… there’s no way I am paying hundreds of dollars each year and then an additional excess for an iPhone when I can stick it in a case, use a screen protector, and not treat it like trash.
Its "insurance." Freak accidents happen. Its no different than car insurance, renters/homeowners insurance. Its there to protect you incase there is an issue. Plus AC covers battery replacements; which alone can run at least $79. Then there is the added benefit of Express Replacement. New device overnighted at no additional cost.

Also, from personal experience, when you have AC and you are just outside your warranty window, Apple is usually more lenient. I've had multiple devices (iOS and MacOS) replaced for free outside warranty window because I had previously purchased AC. I have certainly received the benefit of paying a couple extra hundred dollars.

Regarding the original post, I never get carrier insurance. Its usually overpriced and you get some cheaply refurbished replacement device with a $200 deductible. AppleCare is the only way.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
The Protection <360> plan offers more than AppleCare+ so not really a fair comparison. The regular Device Protection plan seems comparable to AppleCare+ with theft and loss.

True, but also depends on how one swizzles the numbers.

If I read it correctly, you get five incidents of per year vs Apple's two. However, deductible for loss/replacement incidents is more expensive ($249 T-Mo vs $149 AC).

If one is cracking their screens all the time, T-Mo plan might be worth it. And the upgrade program might be important to some. Theft/loss, Apple is better in that after two losses, deductibles + AC, looking at $567 cost vs $930. Then again, if one is prone to losing their phone or crushing it or dropping it in the toilet or etc, for the almost price of a phone, getting a two-fer deal.

But in general, share OP sentiment: never was a fan or used provider coverage plans. And generally have not had AC on a phone in ages (lucky in that only have had minor scratches on screens; 4S power button failed two weeks after warranty, but that only set me back $2(3?)00).

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Only buy AC+ to the more expensive Apple things, as computers, displays, where I can have more uses of Apple, if needed to replace, service etc.
iPhones and iPads, easier to take on home-insurance if something happen. Not worth AC+ to me.

Saturn007

macrumors 65832
Jul 18, 2010

Many (most?) countries provide only a year. Logic board replacements; failed keyboard and ports; etc. can be quite expensive, yet easily covered by AC for years 2 and 3. Well worth it for many people, especially given varying quality control over the years.

My place of business provides it for my laptops and I've used it several times, saving thousands of dollars, on component failures and manufacturing defects.

I assume you didn't mean anything by your lede, but “I take care of my belongings” has always troubled me in these discussions of Apple Care. It comes off as smug and patronizing — and suggests that others, especially those who get Apple Care, are careless people who don't take care of their valuables!

Plus, as the stock prospectuses say, “Past performance is no guarantee of future results!” Come tomorrow you may wish you had it!

As Mirollin noted, accidents happen. Dogs, cats, youngsters, inadvertent spills, roommates, walks across campus or on city streets, others bumping into you, etc.

I'm very careful of my belongings, but I know that life happens so I typically get Apple Care, especially on portable expensive devices. Now, it pays to determine out of pocket repair costs, and the fairly large deductibles, to see whether the cost-benefit ratio is to your liking.

But categorically dismissing AC as “not required” — because the products come with a 1-year warranty (sometimes 2) or because one insists one is “careful” — is ignoring the out years, other people's situations, and even being a tad myopic or overgeneralizing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.