Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is iOS 12 Developer Beta 2?

• Total voters

APPLEGO

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2017
Hello guys:;)

I love experiencing fresh new things and on softwares, I always upgrade them to the latest ones. However, I have 1 principle: Only upgrading to the latest official releases but not betas. Since the introduction of iOS 12 on June 4th, I have thought if it’s worth to try the beta (Developer/Public Beta), but it’s hard to answer for myself.

iOS 12 brings performance enhancements, which is the most exciting feature to me, and ARKit 2, which of course will bring revolutionary changes such as measuring dimensions of items by iOS devices but not traditional rulers, to our daily lives.

The candidate devices for installing iOS 12 betas will be 2nd Generation iPad Pro and/or iPhone 7 Plus. How are these 2 devices running under the beta? And how is the beta compared with iOS 11.4 ?

Thank you for taking time to read this post and enjoy a great day. :)

Reactions: GreyOS

thebeatsalive

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2015
Seattle, WA
It's pretty stable for a Beta 2. There are def some wonky behaviors going on. Most can be ignored. If you need your phone for work or for important calls I would say no. Otherwise, I think it's ok to jump. Just be mindful that sometimes these betas get worse.

APPLEGO

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2017
I recommend waiting for the first public beta.
Thanks for this suggestion, my friend. I think that stability is more important than new features. I’ll probably wait for Public Betas.
[doublepost=1529528485][/doublepost]
It's pretty stable for a Beta 2. There are def some wonky behaviors going on. Most can be ignored. If you need your phone for work or for important calls I would say no. Otherwise, I think it's ok to jump. Just be mindful that sometimes these betas get worse.
You are right, at the end of the day, beta is a beta. Although it’s stable enough, some unpredictable things will happen. Thank you for solving my problem.

Reactions: GreyOS and jhall8

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm on a 7+ here's my experience: I went from iOS 10 straight to the 12 beta so I can't compare to 11 (refused to use it). The animations are very smooth, things load quickly, and the battery life is pretty good-a little worse but not bad for a beta. Overall I'd say the performance is as good or better than 10.

As for bugginess, some apps don't respond to keyboard input which is very annoying, and when I push the home button to leave an app there's an extremely noticeable.5-1 second pause which is very bizarre compared to the smooth performance of everything else.

APPLEGO

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2017
I'm on a 7+ here's my experience: I went from iOS 10 straight to the 12 beta so I can't compare to 11 (refused to use it). The animations are very smooth, things load quickly, and the battery life is pretty good-a little worse but not bad for a beta. Overall I'd say the performance is as good or better than 10.

As for bugginess, some apps don't respond to keyboard input which is very annoying, and when I push the home button to leave an app there's an extremely noticeable.5-1 second pause which is very bizarre compared to the smooth performance of everything else.
So iOS 12 performs better than iOS 10 as a whole, however, there’re some minor parts needed to be refined. Overall, it’s very promising to see that a 2nd developer beta can perform so well. Thanks for your long review.

Mrjynx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Toronto
Definitely wait for public beta, I've come across a bug that tries to respring but it goes until the battery dies. it did it once in beta 1, and it just happened now in beta 2. Just a few mins ago i picked up my phone and saw it was respringing. at this point i can't go in to safe mode, won't turn off, it just spins until it runs out of battery.

it's going to be a quiet afternoon for me!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Definitely wait for public beta, I've come across a bug that tries to respring but it goes until the battery dies. it did it once in beta 1, and it just happened now in beta 2. Just a few mins ago i picked up my phone and saw it was respringing. at this point i can't go in to safe mode, won't turn off, it just spins until it runs out of battery.

it's going to be a quiet afternoon for me!
Wow.. that's pretty serious. First I've heard of it in iOS 12 too.

Any possibility that it's a hardware issue?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I'm still on iOS 12 because I am very comfortable reverting back to 11.4. But I have to say that between the GPS issues and the number of times I've had to restart my phone in order to make a phone call, its been a little rough. All the other features are great and the phone definitely feels much faster than under iOS 11. If the phone call thing, in particular, gets any worse, I will head back, as this is my primary device (anyone tempted to comment on that, please refer to my first sentence!)

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

I love experiencing fresh new things and on softwares, I always upgrade them to the latest ones. However, I have 1 principle: Only upgrading to the latest official releases but not betas. Since the introduction of iOS 12 on June 4th, I have thought if it’s worth to try the beta (Developer/Public Beta), but it’s hard to answer for myself.

iOS 12 brings performance enhancements, which is the most exciting feature to me, and ARKit 2, which of course will bring revolutionary changes such as measuring dimensions of items by iOS devices but not traditional rulers, to our daily lives.

The candidate devices for installing iOS 12 betas will be 2nd Generation iPad Pro and/or iPhone 7 Plus. How are these 2 devices running under the beta? And how is the beta compared with iOS 11.4 ?

I can't choose one of the options. The performance on my iPad Pro is great. What bugs are still there (and there will be bugs in these early betas, always), are livable.

But, there are still several apps I depend on that don't work yet under iOS 12. Once those apps work, I will move to iOS 12 on my daily driver .. but until they do, I can't.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

I recommend waiting

SANTIAGOP26

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2018
I have a question and don't want to start a new thread for this, because someone will probably give me a yes or a no as an answer right away.

So, about a month ago, my iPhone 7 died after a software update, I think it was 11.2 (it was impossible to make a phone call, it would freeze, crash and reboot over simple tasks) Since it was under warranty for another 10 days (lucky), I decided to go to the authorized retailer and responsable for the warranty (since I am in Colombia, and we don't have Apple Sotres here) They could not solve the issue and they just replaced my phone within a few days.

If that would have happened with a Developer / Public Beta aupdate, would they have changed my phone? or does that void the warranty on that software issues?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have a question and don't want to start a new thread for this, because someone will probably give me a yes or a no as an answer right away.

So, about a month ago, my iPhone 7 died after a software update, I think it was 11.2 (it was impossible to make a phone call, it would freeze, crash and reboot over simple tasks) Since it was under warranty for another 10 days (lucky), I decided to go to the authorized retailer and responsable for the warranty (since I am in Colombia, and we don't have Apple Sotres here) They could not solve the issue and they just replaced my phone within a few days.

If that would have happened with a Developer / Public Beta aupdate, would they have changed my phone? or does that void the warranty on that software issues?
Beta doesn't void the warranty.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

It doesn't void warranties, but they can refuse to support software related issues. And in your case, if you'd had a beta on it and the phone was acting funny, they probably wouldn't have done a swap unless it was still acting funny after a restore to a non-beta version of the OS, or if it was impossible to do the restore.

Reactions: jhall8

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Only bug I’ve seen was the large blank “music” notification on lock screen. It went away with a restart. Though to be honest I don’t find the performance so different from 11.4 on my iPhone 7.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
1. It'd be the Public Beta as you haven't beta tested in the past so probably wouldn't have an Apple Developer account.
2. I'd wait for Public Beta 2 or 3, the early stages of an operating system aren't the best in the world and even though iOS 12 is focused on performance and bug fixes that doesn't make it perfect.

So, yes, I would recommend it. IF you wait for the second or third Public Beta.

Also little nit-pick, try not to use bold font for a whole thread ;). Quite annoying to read at times and takes up a lot of room.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
GPS worked perfectly on both betas for me on my iPhone 8 but CarPlay stopped working with beta 2 and the SIM card was not functional unless it was removed and inserted back again.
If you are familiar with backups, IPSW files and DFU-Mode, try it. Otherwise I would not do it.
Going back to 11.4 only takes 20 minutes for me - I almost do it on a daily basis :).

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
GPS doesn't work through two betas. If I could go back to 11 I would purely for this, I rely on GPS a lot. I can deal with bugs, but GPS not working has been a killer for me.

I’m assume no you don’t have access to a Mac to go back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.