Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the dark mode in MacOS 10.14?

• Yes

Votes: 66 64.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 36 35.3%

• Total voters

NastyNatex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
I miss the old "dark mode" where only my top menu was dark. If I could go back to that, I would in a heartbeat. If there's a way to make that menu dark and keep everything else in light mode, please let me know.

Simplenote is entirely black with white text in dark mode. That's a no-go for me, definite eye strain happening there.

Are you talking about System Settings then General and Choosing the Light mode? But keeping the wallpaper Light?

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I find much of my text to be faint gray and hard to see on my iMac 27" 2010. If there is a slight bit of daylight entering the room the gray icons in apps are totally invisible. So in my dual display system my new 2017 iMac 27" looks better, and my 27" 2010 iMac in target display mode is just horrible.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I tried Dark Mode for about three days and then gave up. It really was too hard on my eyes, and I'm glad to be back in the more comfortable light mode! Dark Mode works great if one is primarily looking at graphics and is editing photos, but for everyday reading of text, it's just too harsh a contrast.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

techno96

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I miss the old "dark mode" where only my top menu was dark. If I could go back to that, I would in a heartbeat. If there's a way to make that menu dark and keep everything else in light mode, please let me know.

Simplenote is entirely black with white text in dark mode. That's a no-go for me, definite eye strain happening there.

defaults write -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool Yes

with a logout and log back in should make you happy then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.