Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNchedder

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
My Norton 360 Anti-virus / anti- spyware now insists on monitoring my network activity. in the past, I could turn off Norton features that I did not want such as their VPN. Could this mean Norton is now able to track browsing? Norton already owns LifeLock. Combining LifeLock with browsing and email monitoring does not seem privacy-friendly.

Does anyone out there know what is going on?

(Please, no comments that Mac users don’t need A/V protection. i am required to use some form of malware protection, etc.)

Thank You

MnC

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My Norton 360 Anti-virus / anti- spyware now insists on monitoring my network activity. in the past, I could turn off Norton features that I did not want such as their VPN. Could this mean Norton is now able to track browsing? Norton already owns LifeLock. Combining LifeLock with browsing and email monitoring does not seem privacy-friendly.

Does anyone out there know what is going on?

(Please, no comments that Mac users don’t need A/V protection. i am required to use some form of malware protection, etc.)

Thank You

MnC

Dump Norton and use MalwareBytes. Problem solved. These monolithic "security suites" have always caused at least as many issues as they solve/prevent.

hrMACnstuff

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Not to mention Norton has always been a system resource hog that could bring your system to a crawl. Protective monitoring :rolleyes: has consequences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.