Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I remember back to the early 2000s, when people had brick phones made from plastic, with plastic screens.
Even the thinner ones never experienced any crazy amounts of damage when dropped. The plastic shells could get scuffed, but it hardly even mattered.
Even flip phones back then were really durable. If one fell out of your hand, it wasn't going to break in half.

So the question is, is plastic more durable than all the premium metals and glass of modern iPhones?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I remember back to the early 2000s, when people had brick phones made from plastic, with plastic screens.
Even the thinner ones never experienced any crazy amounts of damage when dropped. The plastic shells could get scuffed, but it hardly even mattered.
Even flip phones back then were really durable. If one fell out of your hand, it wasn't going to break in half.

So the question is, is plastic more durable than all the premium metals and glass of modern iPhones?
I dropped my Sanyo Katana once - into my coffee when getting out of the car. This was a 2007 issue phone. Fortunately, my reaction was quick enough that it was only in the coffee for a split second. Shut it down, wiped it off and let it sit by a window that got intense sun all day. No damage.

But, for me, after many years spent with plastic phones I was happy to trade it for metal and glass when I got my iPhone 5. The phone before that was an HTC Touch Pro. Metal and plastic (mostly plastic), built like a tank…

2023-10-09 18.59.19.jpg IMG_0497.jpg 2023-10-09 18.54.54.jpg 2023-10-09 18.54.37.jpg

Reactions: addamas

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023

Hell No it’s not more Durable

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I remember my Nokia 3310. I dropped that thing so many times and it was still fine.

jakespeed

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I think a lot of us associate plastic with the older / less durable phones. However, when Apple introduced the slab pf glass / metal phone it also eliminated a lot the moving parts which were the major contributor to the lack of durability (keyboards, hinges, etc.) You can kind of see it in the new folding phones which seem to have a lot of reliability issues. I really do wonder if a premium "Plastic" and Glass phone would not be more durable, eliminate the RF issues (Radios and Charging) but no one is brave enough try it again.

PS - I have a drawer of 5c's we used for testing bluetooth in 2015 and they still look brand new...though pretty much paperweights now.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
eliminated a lot the moving parts which were the major contributor to the lack of durability (keyboards, hinges, etc.)
I had 1997 Ericsson GF788 and my experience with that phone made be stick to candybar phones. Spent $100 in 1999 money fixing it.

Those folding Android phones? I'd avoid them like the plague. If ever Apple releases one it would surely cost more than $1799 for the 256GB SKU.

Reactions: SamRyouji

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

Or plastic calculators. They never cracked when dropped.

Reactions: klasma

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

Durable isn't a single characteristic. Plastic is less hard, so more easily scratches making it kind of lousy for a screen. Glass is more brittle, so can crack easier than plastic if strained. Aluminum and titanium are more stiff than plastic so they don't bend as much (so the glass attached to them doesn't strain and crack as easily).

Modern phones tend to build all the pieces into a solid whole so they support each other much better than the older phones which were designed as boards in a shell. An iPhone integrates and laminates the various pieces together so that everything, including the battery, is structural. That makes it much tougher than just a glass window in a frame.

Stevenyo

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2020
Or plastic calculators. They never cracked when dropped.
I mean, I think I broke the plastic casing of both major calculators I ever owned. Really it's not that old phones were tanks so much as we didn't use them enough to damage them. Smartphones are a trillion dollar industry, I'm going to trust that the material science tradeoffs being made are done for solid reasons. If a plastic smartphone would be cheaper to produce, had less interference issues, and was more durable, someone would be out there selling "Super Resin" or whatever successfully.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California

Lot of what if(single event , cumulative multiple events, impact vs bending, etc), configuration details (type plastic) but in general:
Plastic is more susceptible to damage but the phone is more likely to still be somewhat operational. Catastrophic damage (total failure of all phone functionality) is probably slightly less likely.

Reactions: Lyrics23

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

Dumb question. There are many different kinds of plastic, many different metal alloys and many different types of glass; all with huge variations in performance characteristics. Plus durable has all kinds of meanings.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Dumb question. There are many different kinds of plastic, many different metal alloys and many different types of glass; all with huge variations in performance characteristics. Plus durable has all kinds of meanings.
True, polycarbonate (plastic used in safety goggle) is much stronger than polyvinyl chloride (plastic used for pipes).

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Apple is not going back to plastic. they’ve even eliminated plastic from the packaging. No way are they going back to building a phone out of it.

Let’s be real. The build of a phone serves more than one purpose. Yes being durable is nice. But there is a reason not everyone uses their iPhone wrapped in the bulkiest otter box defender case they can find. There are OTHER considerations (perceived quality, aesthetics etc) which are important to most consumers when they buy a phone.

I just wish Apple would consider aluminum premium again. It works just fine for MacBooks and iPads. I feel like they have designed themselves into a corner by arbitrarily deciding that their pro phones can’t use aluminum around the rim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.