Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I dropped my Nokia phone once. Broke the floor. Phone was fine
My awesome Nokia 3220 was my cell phone for almost 7 years before I got my first iPhone. Then it was my mom’s phone for another 6 years. Never got a battery replacement (although I replaced the rubbers of the lights and the keyboard), and it always worked wonderfully.

It was, indeed, indestructible.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Not all plastic is equal. I have Glock pistols made of plastic and they still look like new after years of hard use. I remember when the older blackberries were a dark plastic and were the same color all the way through. If you scratched it it did not show.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I think some people are kinda of missing the point and getting too complicated.

1) Old 'brick' plastic phones are well-known for being indestructible.
2) Admittedly, plastic touch screens scratch too easily.
3) The logical conclusion for a durable phone would be to use hard plastics like the old brick phones, with a glass front.
4) Would Apple do this? Of course not. But it's not "progress" to have phones that cost 10x more than they used to, and are 10x more likely to break.
The old phones were mostly made of softer plastics like ABS for their shells with a harder plastic like polycarbonate only for the display lens.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I remember back to the early 2000s, when people had brick phones made from plastic, with plastic screens.
Even the thinner ones never experienced any crazy amounts of damage when dropped. The plastic shells could get scuffed, but it hardly even mattered.
Even flip phones back then were really durable. If one fell out of your hand, it wasn't going to break in half.

So the question is, is plastic more durable than all the premium metals and glass of modern iPhones?
I think it depends on what plastic you are talking about.
Its also a matter of the durability of plastic in different scenarios and that some types become less durable after some age and in what type of environment its being used.

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States
I remember Lumia 920 was made up of Polycarbonate alloy, which is actually plastic, it was a tank.
Oh man, I miss my 920…what a wonderful phone that was! I’ve had a lot of phones over the years but that was one of my favorites.

I would buy a new iPhone so fast if they were to replace the “dual ion” glass back (that hasn’t been improved upon in many generations) with polycarbonate, or made the body of PC.

Sadly, I don’t ever see that happening as that would go against their “premium” perception and hurt their case sales. Can’t have that!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I remember back to the early 2000s, when people had brick phones made from plastic, with plastic screens.
Even the thinner ones never experienced any crazy amounts of damage when dropped. The plastic shells could get scuffed, but it hardly even mattered.
Even flip phones back then were really durable. If one fell out of your hand, it wasn't going to break in half.

So the question is, is plastic more durable than all the premium metals and glass of modern iPhones?
I think plastic can be very durable in the short to medium term (impact resistance, for instance) but it doesn't wear very well in the long term. As much as people gripe about scratches and stuff on Macs and iPhones, that stuff looks a ton better than what happens to plastic after a while.

I still remember those polycarbonite MacBooks from the early 2000s. They all ended up stained and chipped around the palm rest area. I fortunately had the black one which fared a lot better -- but it was still starting to show some signs of chipping on the front edge.

Not saying plastic couldn't be done well. If Apple put out an ultralight and lower-cost MacBook in plastic I'd be interested just based on the weight savings. But it would have to be less expensive to compensate for how much I'd anticipate the resale value dropping from wear and tear.

Reactions: kc9hzn

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Well, that's partly because it was released right beside the vastly superior 5S. The 5C should've been announced alone, like the immensely popular iPhone SE.

No it was unpopular due its cheap feel and how easy it was to have the screen pop out or even fall out when dropped.

The enclosure of the cracked as well after a drop or two.

There is a reason it was the most short lived iPhone on the market and it wasn’t because the 5S was in the line up too.

I fixed and replaced many 5C’s in my time as a retail employee.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
For the environment…aluminum would be best choice of those 3, especially if real recycled goods were done right

Reactions: Populus

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Really it's not that old phones were tanks so much as we didn't use them enough to damage them.

I lived in the Philippines back then (“text capital of the world”) plus I played Snake, Bantumi or Space Impact a lot to pass the time. There were no iPads yet so I probably used my 3310 a lot more than I do iPhones nowadays.

Older phones may have had very limited functionality but that doesn’t necessarily mean they didn’t still get used often. I’ve dropped my 3310 on concrete several times (high school and college). I don’t think a caseless iPhone with glass front and back would’ve fared quite as well with similar carelessness.

Reactions: mectojic

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades

I always put a rubber-like case on it so plastic or cheap metal would make no difference to me.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
In 2010 Steve Jobs said no one's going to buy a big phone.

Goes to show even the greatest can be so wrong.
Here's a good rundown of events leading up to the release of the iPhone 6:
My favorite part is Samsung's internal documents evaluating 2.8" and 3.2" phones as their preferred sizes.

Reactions: mectojic

LevorgPenmancho

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2022
In 2010 Steve Jobs said no one's going to buy a big phone.

Goes to show even the greatest can be so wrong.
I think if he respawned and saw a 15 PM, the first thing he’d complain about would be the thickness. He was obsessed. The iPhone 5 had the smallest internal volume of any iPhone, and I think he wanted to continue down that path. iPhone 6 must have been in the pipeline while he was alive, but he probably only signed off on that design because it was the thinnest iPhone ever (I think?), at 6.9mm.
I’d honestly love to see what an iPhone 5 sized phone with the current screen tech would be like.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Incredible! I always thought Sanyo was a black & white TV, rice cooker and battery brand.
Sanyo actually made really good video projectors for a while. They also made our knock-off Betamax that I had as a kid. Betacord if I remember correctly. And knock-off Walkman. Oh yeah, and there were a huge solar panel and lithium battery company for a while too.

Reactions: sack_peak

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Sanyo actually made really good video projectors for a while. They also made our knock-off Betamax that I had as a kid. Betacord if I remember correctly. And knock-off Walkman. Oh yeah, and there were a huge solar panel and lithium battery company for a while too.
They made everybody’s favorite Eneloop NiMH batteries until Panasonic bought them out, too.

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
The iPhone 5C was plastic and it wasn’t a popular phone
This is a myth. The 5c was in effect the 5 repackaged, not an entirely different phone. It also continued to be sold for a couple years. It was popular, and sold well. But if you view the 5c in a vacuum without the 5, then it dramatically cuts down on the sales numbers. If they had kept the 5 in the lineup instead of the repackaged 5c, you’d be talking about how well it sold. Why did they repackage it? It was obvious. Apple suppliers struggled to manufacture enough aluminum frames for the 5, so they had no chance of making enough for both a 5 and 5s at the same time. I wish I had gotten the 5c, as I saw students with it. It was very durable. When dropped the screen might slightly pop out could easily be snapped back in. With Aluminum or other metals this would have broken the glass.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Here's a good rundown of events leading up to the release of the iPhone 6:
My favorite part is Samsung's internal documents evaluating 2.8" and 3.2" phones as their preferred sizes.
That's a really interesting article, thank you!
Looks like the iPhone 6 and 6+ really sealed the deal for iPhone dominance. Apple wasn't going to both much with small phones after their immense success. (Though Apple still hasn't sold any model better than the 6/6+...)

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
I dropped my cute little LG flip phone so many times without damaging it, until one fateful day when the hinge broke. I duct taped it together for awhile. Nowadays I wouldn’t want to be out and about without a smart phone, but back in the olden times, I loved that little phone that fit so easily in my purse or pocket, and I never had to put it in a case or worry about scratching it.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Lot of what if(single event , cumulative multiple events, impact vs bending, etc), configuration details (type plastic) but in general:
Plastic is more susceptible to damage but the phone is more likely to still be somewhat operational. Catastrophic damage (total failure of all phone functionality) is probably slightly less likely.
Plastic also weakens and becomes brittle with time, especially with exposure to heat or UV. Plus, the plastic shells these phones used were quite a bit thicker than modern phone shells.

Let’s remember, though, there’s a reason Apple used plastics in the iBooks but metal in the PowerBooks. My 2007 MacBook with the white polycarbonate definitely had plastic case longevity and discoloration issues even within five years.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
That's a really interesting article, thank you!
Looks like the iPhone 6 and 6+ really sealed the deal for iPhone dominance. Apple wasn't going to both much with small phones after their immense success. (Though Apple still hasn't sold any model better than the 6/6+...)
Apple could have avoided bendgate if they made those phones thicker to accomodate larger mAh batteries.

I was fortunate to have a 6s Plus back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.