Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realpaoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Could be, did yours break or what happened to it? I dropped mine a lot too and it has multiple dents, but it always surprised me how strong that phone was.
the screen was broken and the system turned unstable.
These days I don't use it since the capacity of its storage is not enough.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The first generation of the iPhone SE had a metal body and was extremely durable. I still have mine from 2016 and it still works.
Same. I marvel at mine every time I pick it up. It's beautifully constructed. I wish carriers would let you keep two phones active on one line, because I'd totally take this out as a "night out" phone that's easy on the pocket.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
No. I believe the last plastic iPhone was the iPhone 5c.

Not just plastic, but beautifully, unapologetically plastic.

Plus, wasn't the 5c the only iPhone ever made out of plastic?!

We have two iPhone SE first generation — still going strong. Love the phone.

As to the OP's experience… CRASH! Ouch! That's tough!

Ours have been dropped several times, but keep on ticking. No doubt that’s thanks to the Spigen and FYY cases we have on them. Would never go caseless, precisely because of what the OP went through.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yes, I recall Jony Ive holding it up (the 5c) and saying 'Premium Plastic!

Talking about the iPhone 5C! I saw the other day a man on the bus carrying one of those. It was a white one. Gorgeous. I always wanted one, wether in green or in white. It was super comfortable to hold and I liked the way it looked.

However, putting inside an A6, limited it a bit at the time, and with a price tag so close to the iPhone 5S, with a much more powerful 64bit A7 and Touch ID, it wasn’t worth it.

Also, the units sold with 8GB of storage, were quite constrained. Today’s iOS entire system wouldn’t fit inside one of those.

But don’t forget it: even if the iPhone 5C was discontinued, the spirit of that cheaper, colorful device for the masses resurrected with the iPhone XR, followed by the 11, 12, 13, 14… and is present in this days with the iPhone 15.

If they released a plastic iPhone 15C, with a screen of 5.8”, and the screen of the iPhone 15, at a cheaper price, I think it would sell pretty well. At least I would get one. But with solid, vivid colors. Give me teal, give me orange, give me red, and a black one, why not?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.