Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

Plus, wasn't the 5c the only iPhone ever made out of plastic?!

We have two iPhone SE first generation — still going strong. Love the phone.

As to the OP's experience… CRASH! Ouch! That's tough!

Ours have been dropped several times, but keep on ticking. No doubt that’s thanks to the Spigen and FYY cases we have on them. Would never go caseless, precisely because of what the OP went through.
No. The iphone 3g and 3gs were also plastic

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Talking about the iPhone 5C! I saw the other day a man on the bus carrying one of those. It was a white one. Gorgeous. I always wanted one, wether in green or in white. It was super comfortable to hold and I liked the way it looked.

However, putting inside an A6, limited it a bit at the time, and with a price tag so close to the iPhone 5S, with a much more powerful 64bit A7 and Touch ID, it wasn’t worth it.

Also, the units sold with 8GB of storage, were quite constrained. Today’s iOS entire system wouldn’t fit inside one of those.

But don’t forget it: even if the iPhone 5C was discontinued, the spirit of that cheaper, colorful device for the masses resurrected with the iPhone XR, followed by the 11, 12, 13, 14… and is present in this days with the iPhone 15.

If they released a plastic iPhone 15C, with a screen of 5.8”, and the screen of the iPhone 15, at a cheaper price, I think it would sell pretty well. At least I would get one. But with solid, vivid colors. Give me teal, give me orange, give me red, and a black one, why not?
They were comfortable (the 5C), I acknowledge that. But at the time I had the iPhone 5. Same phone, different casing. So I stuck with my 5. I did however, help a guy at work a lot that had a 5C, which is how I know it was comfortable to hold.

_Mitchan1999

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2024

Plus, wasn't the 5c the only iPhone ever made out of plastic?!

We have two iPhone SE first generation — still going strong. Love the phone.

As to the OP's experience… CRASH! Ouch! That's tough!

Ours have been dropped several times, but keep on ticking. No doubt that’s thanks to the Spigen and FYY cases we have on them. Would never go caseless, precisely because of what the OP went through.
The iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5C were the only iPhones that was made out of plastic.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I was late to iPhone (3GS was my first and I was the second owner). So, the original iPhone was metal then?
Basically yes. Just the lower part was plastic for antenna transmission.
i guess u saw a pic somewhere of the 1st iphone but forgot

IMG_7918.jpeg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
i guess u saw a pic somewhere of the 1st iphone but forgot

View attachment 2353493
I've seen pics, but I have never seen in person let alone held, the original iPhone. But most pics of the original up to the 3GS show a very similar phone. With my 3GS being plastic I assumed they were all the same except for internals.

My first brand new purchase of an iPhone was 2012 with the iPhone 5. So there's a whole five years of iPhone that I missed because I was using a Sanyo Katana and an HTC Touch Pro during that time. Why? I was with Sprint and I wasn't switching carriers just to get the iPhone. And Sprint didn't get the iPhone until 2011.

So quite literally, I have no familiarity with iPhone before the 3GS.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So premium that we put a 32-bit chip in it and it'll only get three years of iOS updates!
Funnily enough, the problem isn’t the amount of updates it got. It’s how it runs. It runs like absolute garbage on iOS 10. Apple shouldn’t have allowed that. They obliterated it and I can’t even go back. I got it on iOS 10 and it’s abhorrent.

• Wow
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Insanely over-priced and horrendous value next to the 5S and, at that point, discounted iPhone 5 from last year.

5C should have been either "free" on a two-year contract or $449 unlocked.

Or, even better, it should just have been a 1/1 on-par with 5S hardware but kept the plastic design at $549 unlocked.

Apple's prequel to the first genuine SE was the flop it deserved to be!

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yeh the SE is aluminum. Basically a small-sized 6S, its the last model with headphone jack & a display compact enough to operate the entire OS with your thumb. I’m the 2nd person to inherit the one I’ve been using the last couple years and it‘s my final iphone. Ruggedized Speck cases for it were like 3 for $6 on ebay last year.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Yeh the SE is aluminum. Basically a small-sized 6S, its the last model with headphone jack & a display compact enough to operate the entire OS with your thumb. I’m the 2nd person to inherit the one I’ve been using the last couple years and it‘s my final iphone. Ruggedized Speck cases for it were like 3 for $6 on ebay last year.
No. it’s basically a 5 or 5s with better internals.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
No. it’s basically a 5 or 5s with better internals.
It is partially comparable to the 6S but with the smaller form factor. Aside from the A9 chip they share, the SE also got Live Photos and Apple Pay. But yes, for sure there were things like 3 D touch and camera quality differences between the two. I still have my SE but wonder since the 13 Mini, how I managed with that small a screen. I guess eyesight was better back then.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
It is partially comparable to the 6S but with the smaller form factor. Aside from the A9 chip they share, the SE also got Live Photos and Apple Pay. But yes, for sure there were things like 3 D touch and camera quality differences between the two. I still have my SE but wonder since the 13 Mini, how I managed with that small a screen. I guess eyesight was better back then.
Well the body is from the iphone 5.

Just cos a 5 series BMW can have the same engine like a 6 series. I wouldn’t call a 5 series a smaller 6er

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Well the body is from the iphone 5.

Just cos a 5 series BMW can have the same engine like a 6 series. I wouldn’t call a 5 series a smaller 6er
It runs circles around my 6, which is laggy as hell, won't even install apps or another major release of iOS that the SE will and perfectly quickly.

"It is part of the 9th generation of the iPhone alongside the higher-end iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. The iPhone SE shares the same physical design and dimensions as the iPhone 5s, but has similar internal hardware to the iPhone 6s, including the newer Apple A9 system-on-chip, greater battery capacity, and a 12-megapixel rear camera that can record up to 4K video at 30 frames per second. The iPhone SE can shoot Live Photos and has features like Retina Flash and the option to have Hey Siri activated without the need to be plugged into a power source."

The only similarity it has with the 5 is the size and shape of its outer case.

Tru3B1u3

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
iPhone 5S and iPhone SE (2016) are both study as duck

Mines has taking a beating, with it handling numerous drops in/out case before the front glass shattered

Honestly doubt my 13 Mini could handle the abuse of the first 3 years I put the SE through

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
It runs circles around my 6, which is laggy as hell, won't even install apps or another major release of iOS that the SE will and perfectly quickly.

"It is part of the 9th generation of the iPhone alongside the higher-end iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. The iPhone SE shares the same physical design and dimensions as the iPhone 5s, but has similar internal hardware to the iPhone 6s, including the newer Apple A9 system-on-chip, greater battery capacity, and a 12-megapixel rear camera that can record up to 4K video at 30 frames per second. The iPhone SE can shoot Live Photos and has features like Retina Flash and the option to have Hey Siri activated without the need to be plugged into a power source."

The only similarity it has with the 5 is the size and shape of its outer case.

I know. I said this: its a 5 with better internals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.