Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Apple hid the Dashboard by default in OS X Yosemite/El Capitan, but it was still accessible through a setting. Does this setting still exist in macOS Sierra, or is the Dashboard gone for good? Thanks.

Reactions: Goatllama

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, still there thankfully. This is probably the most iconic feature of OS X so it would be criminal to remove it.
Really? Dashboard? Not the Dock, or the Finder icon, or the systemwide menubar, or anything else?

Half my students have Macs and I've never seen them even touch Dashboard.

Not saying it should go away just because I don't use it, but it's practically abandonware at this point.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Really? Dashboard? Not the Dock, or the Finder icon, or the systemwide menubar, or anything else?

Not saying it should go away just because I don't use it, but it's practically abandonware at this point.
Sounds about right. I imagine the majority of Mac users aren't even aware it exists.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
I use a bunch of Dashboard widgets. I didn't like the standard Apple widgets when the Dashboard first appeared in OS X. But, with the advent of good 3rd party widgets, I will be disappointed if the Dashboard is discontinued. How will I know my university's football and basketball schedules?! :( :p

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I use a bunch of Dashboard widgets. I didn't like the standard Apple widgets when the Dashboard first appeared in OS X. But, with the advent of good 3rd party widgets, I will be disappointed if the Dashboard is discontinued. How will I know my university's football and basketball schedules?! :( :p

They're slowly going to replace dashboard widgets with Notification Center widgets, probably.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The "old" Dashboard is still there for the time being. The new Dashboard, also known as "Notification Center" is just as useful (which isn't saying much) as the old Dashboard, and about as inconvenient to use. I expect the old Dashboard to disappear in the next few years.

Reactions: satcomer

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
It'll probably stick around until a major break in it's functionality.

I'm happy to see it stay though, I just like the icon in my dock.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The "old" Dashboard is still there for the time being. The new Dashboard, also known as "Notification Center" is just as useful (which isn't saying much) as the old Dashboard, and about as inconvenient to use. I expect the old Dashboard to disappear in the next few years.

How is Dashboard inconvenient to use? You just press one button and you can see a lot of info at a glance.

With NC, you have to swipe, press the "today" button, and then you can view about two widgets before you have to scroll. I really hope that before they ditch Dashboard they re-think the NC widget UI. They copied it from iOS without thinking if it made sense on a Mac.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
How is Dashboard inconvenient to use? You just press one button and you can see a lot of info at a glance.

With NC, you have to swipe, press the "today" button, and then you can view about two widgets before you have to scroll. I really hope that before they ditch Dashboard they re-think the NC widget UI. They copied it from iOS without thinking if it made sense on a Mac.
I think you missed my sarcasm. ;)

Reactions: gdwarner

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI

Was gonna say this exactly. Not only my students, but also me. There's not one thing I use in there that I can't access with 1-2 clicks from the dock.

Maybe I'm partially biased as I entered the OS X revolution WELL after Dashboard was implemented.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I really hope that before they ditch Dashboard they re-think the NC widget UI. They copied it from iOS without thinking if it made sense on a Mac.

Notification centre has been a disappointment ever since its inception. I like the notifications, but the centre itself is just unwieldy. It doesn’t show that there are any unread notifications, it doesn’t work in harmony with the Dock and it has a redundant:

Tuesday,
28th June

at the top, even though the status bar is a few cm above. Siri does seem to be a new entry point for it, but it is still just not what I had hoped notification centre would become.

I personally do not use Dashboard, but I actually found quite a bit of it ingenious. Especially the web clips are absolutely fantastic. That was some serious bit of creativity on their part, back in the days.

rnbwd

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2015
Seattle
I was hoping it was dead. thanks for reminding me it's still alive - I think I used it a few times in 3-4 years ago. but if ya'll love it - i don't care if they keep it around for nostalgia

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy

Couldn't agree more.

jimixdnb

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2016
The dashboard seems utterly useless to me in the current os. But hey, as long as I don't have to deactivate it through terminal, but others rather have to activate it first... then so be it ;)

The giant date on top of NC grinds my gears tho from day one too...

Last edited:
Reactions: HatMine

Ternary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
From what I remember, they didn't even change the tile game background for OS X El Capitan. (Normally the tile game background is based on the OS name.) Presumably this is still the case for MacOS Sierra, right?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
From what I remember, they didn't even change the tile game background for OS X El Capitan. (Normally the tile game background is based on the OS name.) Presumably this is still the case for MacOS Sierra, right?
For El Cap, can confirm that the tile game background is still Yosemite's. As for macOS Sierra, can't comment as I don't have access to the developer beta.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The tile game background is unchanged as of beta 2, still the default wallpaper from OS X Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.