Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sibcc

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2015
La Jolla CA
How is Dashboard inconvenient to use? You just press one button and you can see a lot of info at a glance.

With NC, you have to swipe, press the "today" button, and then you can view about two widgets before you have to scroll. I really hope that before they ditch Dashboard they re-think the NC widget UI. They copied it from iOS without thinking if it made sense on a Mac.

I concur and the notification center is just more of the dumbing down of the once great OS X user interface. The downgrade from beautiful skeumorphic icons to the Fisher-Price icons and the removal of iTunes features points toward a certain arrogance of Apple towards their most loyal customers. At least they finally brought back rtf to Pages.

fedux

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2013
Still using dashboard, even under High Sierra!
Is there anyone who knows how to fix the currency updates in the conversion widget? It can’t retrieve data anymore, even under Sierra and El Capitan. It seems only a matter to change the link in the code, but I couldn’t find it...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I always still use Dashboard all the times!

me too. but i hate the overlay.... I prefer the separate space for some reason. I guess because i always seem to forget the shortcut keys and accidentally pull up something else.

gdwarner

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2018
Seattle, Washington
I still use Dashboard on my 2008 iMac and my 2010 MacBook Pro. I use JuneCloud's Delivery Status, Notefile, ProCalc, Apple's Dictionary widget, and a couple of different ones for tracking stocks (I even found some instructions online that show you how to make Yahoo's stock ticker display more than just 10 stocks) ... and I find it helpful that both of the widgets from JuneCloud sync with each other, so I can make a change in one of their widgets on one of my Macs and have that change be reflected on the other.

I used to have a widget that would track the various TV shows I watch called TV Forecast, but unfortunately, the website the app was getting its data from went offline, so no more widget.

Apple also removed Dashcode from Xcode a few versions back, but I think you can still make widgets with PhoneGap, so that's something ...

gdwarner

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2018
Seattle, Washington
There are a few old programs out there that allow you to convert Dashboard widgets into small programs, like Amnesty Singles. Unfortunately, one of the widgets I want to convert is a "web clip" that I "made" in Safari, and Amnesty doesn't appear to like those.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Dashboard had an antecedent called Konfabulator. Then, as often happens, Apple saw how popular Konfabulator was, and decided to do their own take on it - and that's when Dashboard came about... of course, that killed Konfabulator. And now that Konfabulator is long dead and buried, Apple decides to kill Dashboard.

What depresses me about new versions of apps or operating systems is when they go back in functionality and usefulness. Basically, the new version is a downgrade. It's extremely stupid. That's not progress, it's devolvement.

Apple has done that pretty often, and now with Catalina, killing Dashboard is a massive downgrade. I frequently ask myself why doesn't somebody over there research (1) what are people using a given feature for (2) if we take away that feature, can our new version substitute with something that's AT LEAST as good, if not better? I think there should be a rule "don't kill a functionality unless your new version is BETTER".

Nothing has changed for me since I wrote those posts some 3 years ago in this thread. I still use Dashboard daily. It is still massively superior to Notification Center. We all knew one day this was going to happen, so from time to time I'd try to force myself to use NC instead - and I just can't because NC is garbage.

Apple have lost their minds. Hey, maybe Konfabulator or something like that can come back and give us a Dashboard-like experience. So sad when Apple kills a great feature that people use every single day, and now the poor user has to hunt around for substitutions.

And sadly, it's an Apple tradition. I always marvel when they revise the subpar Finder, and in revising and upgrading they make sure that at least one thing is made worse. It's like a war on the users. SMH.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
No more dashboard, no more 32bit apps, I have't try Catalina yet, but it really makes me tends to stay with Mojave at this moment.

I don't mind to move on, however, I really have to see what's the reward of giving up these old (and useful) functions).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.