Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I really do like mine. Don't need a giant phone for my pocket. Have a MacBook to read & watch things on. Battery could be better, is my only complaint.
Same. Hopefully, the 13 mini or even iOS 15 can improve the battery life, but it's worth it to me for the form factor of the mini phone.

Reactions: snipr125

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
If it were in fact doable with today’s tech, I’d gladly pay $2000 USD for a Mini Pro with all the Pro-features and a ~3000mAh battery, in a slightly thicker form factor.

Edit: I realise that I’m in the minority, but hey, there might be an exclusive (and lucrative) market for Pro-Minis ?‍♂️ There are many of us who prefer the smaller form factor without having to compromise on features…
Woah, let’s not get crazy. Lol

I’d pay up to $1,000 for a Pro mini with no compromises other than a thicker body for a larger battery. But $2,000? No, thank you.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Woah, let’s not get crazy. Lol

I’d pay up to $1,000 for a Pro mini with no compromises other than a thicker body for a larger battery. But $2,000? No, thank you.
Hehe, I live south of the border so that’s already close to what I’ve been paying for my last iPhones (highest storage capacity) lol

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
The mini is an extreme niche phone with lackluster sales. According to the WSJ just 5% of iPhone 12 sales were mini. I suspect people buy these phones for very particular reasons. They really don't compete with the main and Max lines.

• Angry
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
The mini is an extreme niche phone with lackluster sales. According to the WSJ just 5% of iPhone 12 sales were mini. I suspect people buy these phones for very particular reasons. They really don't compete with the main and Max lines.
It’s such a shame that the 13 will probably be the last mini. I hope they keep the future SE’s at this size.

Reactions: mikext

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Speculation that the 13 mini will be the last of its size is still just that; speculation.

It could become the next SE, it could continue on in the line up as it’s catering for a niche but that niche is still earning Apple millions and the tooling etc is pretty much already in place.

If it gets released at the same time as the others, you won’t have people who want it but are impatient to wait opting for the regular or pro models, as I bet a fair amount of would be mini buyers did just that last year.

We shall see

But the 12 mini is a great phone, perfect size, perfect weight with a great screen. Even if they can just improve the camera and battery, many would upgrade.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yeah, there are many Mini users on these forums, and sadly many haters too - for some unknown reason ?‍♂️ It’s obvious that they’ve never owned the phone, so why bash it? It doesn’t make any sense to me.
I didnt understand it either, but after discussions with some of these haters, it seems they think that the existance of the Mini means that Apple takes resources away from development of the larger mainstream iphones. This is just nonsense, as Apple are a 2 Trillion $ company, they literally have unlimited resources. Also some think that if the Mini was not in the line up, then the normal 12 would be £100 cheaper. But the biggest one of all is validation... how dare we love and adore our Mini iphones and not lust over the expensive, larger Pro models.

Last edited:

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
the battery life is bad I'm not the heaviest user and its usually running out around 7 pm , I'll be updating to a pro this year

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
The speakers in the 12 mini are noticeably worse than the 11 or OGSE. They're about a half step away from poor IMO.

um no. Saying that it’s speakers are worse than OG SE.. seriously

12 Mini has decent speakers and it’s speakers support spatial audio whereas OG SE’s speaker is Mono, doesn’t support spatial audio and even with full volume you can’t hear as well as compared to the 7 or even 6s ( I have a OG SE and know how bad the speaker is by today’s comparison)

Reactions: Barbareren

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
If you are OK with a yellow tint then sure Mini is great! If not then get the SE. i am on my 5th replacement under the 14 day return period and all of then have had a terrible yellow tint. For some people that is OK but for me is not. It makes the screen look terrible and the letters are hard to read because of the yellow tint.

Have you tried turning True Tone off or adjusting the Night Shift light warmth slider? This might help. My mini’s screen looks great and easy on the eyes, but I do notice an instant colder blue shift when I toggle True Tone off.

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Yeah, there are many Mini users on these forums, and sadly many haters too - for some unknown reason ?‍♂️ It’s obvious that they’ve never owned the phone, so why bash it? It doesn’t make any sense to me.
Plenty of people hating relentlessly on the iphone SE1 too when it comes up on this forum. For many people it's still the perfect phone, for the haters it seems to give them physical pain that it even exists.

I guess it's a weird size-insecurity thing a lot of people (guys mainly) have sometimes. Or just haters being haters.
All very strange though.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
um no. Saying that it’s speakers are worse than OG SE.. seriously

12 Mini has decent speakers and it’s speakers support spatial audio whereas OG SE’s speaker is Mono, doesn’t support spatial audio and even with full volume you can’t hear as well as compared to the 7 or even 6s ( I have a OG SE and know how bad the speaker is by today’s comparison)
The SE had a fuller sound. The 12 mini were tinny. It might have gotten louder, or had stereo speakers, but the sounds itself was weak.

• Haha
Reactions: Barbareren

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
the battery life is bad I'm not the heaviest user and its usually running out around 7 pm , I'll be updating to a pro this year
I'm trying to remember the run time of my old 4 or 6 so that I can compare it to the 12 Mini.

In truth, the battery life is probably exactly what you'd expect from a phone of that size with the space limitation that means. Obviously, with a device taking up more real estate (like a Max) but still having the same guts as the Mini, there's more room for a bigger battery. Its possible the larger screen will take up a bit more power, but otherwise, the battery is giving the performance to be expected from one of that size. The OS is the same, so no improvements there.

It might even be argued that with a larger screen, a user might be expecting to do more with the device than a Mini's user might be inclined - watching movies, reading books, etc - so that, in fact, the battery run time might not be all that much improved.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
The SE had a fuller sound. The 12 mini were tinny. It might have gotten louder, or had stereo speakers, but the sounds itself was weak.
Yeah, you got that the other way around. Having stereo speakers, even on smaller devices, makes a big difference when it comes to the quality of the audio-output.

I’ve been listening to podcasts (as well as the ocasional music video and TV series) from my home country on a daily basis, for years, often only using the phone’s speakers. My old iPhone X and XS, although also great, stereo speakers are actually slightly worse than the Mini’s, despite the smaller form factor of the Mini. Either you haven’t actually tried a 12 mini, or you tried one with faulty speakers. Either way, your comment makes zero sense.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Yeah, you got that the other way around. Having stereo speakers, even on smaller devices, makes a big difference when it comes to the quality of the audio-output.

I’ve been listening to podcasts (as well as the ocasional music video and TV series) from my home country on a daily basis, for years, often only using the phone’s speakers. My old iPhone X and XS, although also great, stereo speakers are actually slightly worse than the Mini’s, despite the smaller form factor of the Mini. Either you haven’t actually tried a 12 mini, or you tried one with faulty speakers. Either way, your comment makes zero sense.
I bought one on launch, and returned it because it gave me migraines. I wouldn't put it past having a faulty speaker, it had a yellow screen too.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I bought one on launch, and returned it because it gave me migraines. I wouldn't put it past having a faulty speaker, it had a yellow screen too.
Sorry to hear that. I guess you’re one, of many (at least on these forums), who struggles with OLED PWM. It still doesn’t apply to just the Mini in particular, though, but all recent OLED screens (particularly related to the iPhone 12-series it seems), according to many anecdotes. Personally I don’t have that problem, fortunately.

The only time I notice that my Mini’s screen is slightly ‘warm’, is when I compare it side by side to my old iPhone X. Otherwise I don’t notice it at all.

Don’t assume that your personal experiences are universal… The Mini has extraordinary speakers, especially considering its physical dimensions.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why are people still using this metric.

it’s only specific to the total IPhone 12 sales … but those models are not the only one’s sold in the 2020:2021 year cycle.

the iPhone 12 mini has no real competition in ALL devices regardless of manufacturer or sold anywhere in the world. Almost to the point Samsung is considering a mini on the next SGS lineup. Sony had considered but they were too entrenched into their 5 & 1 miii models.

Those that keep wanting an iPhone mini ‘pro’ … I gotta ask where is the basis of this want coming from?
NO other manufacturer ever created Pro features in a mini form facter - Sony is the ONLY manufacturer to get close:
Screen quality (not resolution due to smaller size),
Processor, chipset, storage options - ALL matching their top tier lineup (Z series Top End, Z Compact on the top end small size),
Variants for regions all supported,
etc.

There is a reason why the iPhone 12 mini is almost exactly the same dimensions of THE most successful Sony compact phone … the Z5 Compact. Check out the screen sizes … the resolution, the top tier A series chip that matches the Pro series. IT”S a PRO yet without the battery life/capacity and 3rd lens .. and for good reason: Neither will fit!

Attachments

• BF42DE43-5630-419A-B2DC-D0B52C0E8755.jpeg
    BF42DE43-5630-419A-B2DC-D0B52C0E8755.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 72

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
There are just many many many people out there hating. Just to hate. With no real reason. Just anger inside that needs to get out. So they just bash and trash people, things, events or whatever. And they provocate. Makes them feel better obviously.

sad but true. This is the world we live in.

Reactions: lpc2 and Barbareren

schneeland

macrumors regular
May 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
the iPhone 12 mini has no real competition in ALL devices regardless of manufacturer or sold anywhere in the world. Almost to the point Samsung is considering a mini on the next SGS lineup. Sony had considered but they were too entrenched into their 5 & 1 miii models.
Yeah, sadly that market segment seems dead except for the IP Mini. I will admit that it's a bit of a niche and most people would probably be happy with just mid range technology, but even there, the market offers basically nothing (except for the SE 2, which still has the old design). So if the IP 13 is indeed the last of its line, that would be quite sad.

If it hadn't been for batter life, I would have bought the 12 Mini. While my current 11 Pro is a great device and especially the camera is quite nice, it is also quite unwieldy (for one-handed operation).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.