Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
The mini is an extreme niche phone with lackluster sales. According to the WSJ just 5% of iPhone 12 sales were mini. I suspect people buy these phones for very particular reasons. They really don't compete with the main and Max lines.
You are right, I got the mini for two reasons:
1. IT fits perfectly in my uniform pocket, if I got the regular or Pro Max it would not fit.
2. It was free, well I have to keep it for 2 years but every month I get a credit for the monthly payment so I have not paid out of pocket for it.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I just bought one last week. No complaints from me.

98ec3addd2a5ff92ea5bc2242e36d513.jpg

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You are right, I got the mini for two reasons:
1. IT fits perfectly in my uniform pocket, if I got the regular or Pro Max it would not fit.
2. It was free, well I have to keep it for 2 years but every month I get a credit for the monthly payment so I have not paid out of pocket for it.

I like the word FREE. Here in my country, I cannot get it even at a 'good' discount on standalone Apple device, let alone a carrier-assisted purchase. The price for a mini starts with USD 975 roughly in my country. Yeah, starting price of 12 mini is that.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Any iPhone 12 mini owners have a problem connecting via iTunes?
I backed up my old phone to my laptop running High Sierra. I’ve tried everything and iTunes still won’t recognize the 12 mini.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
Any iPhone 12 mini owners have a problem connecting via iTunes?
I backed up my old phone to my laptop running High Sierra. I’ve tried everything and iTunes still won’t recognize the 12 mini.
I was able to connect and back up my phone a few weeks ago. I'm on Mojave, though. Not sure if that matters.

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
I returned my 12 Mini for poor battery life and decided to get the 12 pro max my next iPhone will be a 13 Mini IF there's battery improvements.

Reactions: mikext

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
So after a week of using the 12 mini, I'm pretty happy. Battery life is actually better than what I expected after reviews essentially slammed it. Usability is fantastic, and I didn't find the smaller screen a problem in any applications.

The one odd thing is speed. While it's fast enough, for some strange reason, the iPhone 11 Pro I had on loan for a few months prior, felt a little snappier. Not sure why, given they have the same RAM and the 12 mini has the newer A14 processor. But this is certainly not a dealbreaker.

baba blakship

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
When I was looking at these a while ago there seemed to be somewhat of a distaste for the 12 mini.

I have a distaste for my current XR and I’d like something better - AND SMALLER.

Just wondering if those earlier comments I read were unfounded or not? Thanks.
I'm a 12 Mini owner since June of this year and whilst I'm happy with most aspects - coming from a 7 plus, how could you not be - the one thing which regularly trips me up and has me screaming at Tim and Co. is the g*ddamn ergonomics of this device. Having the on/off opposite to the volume buttons means that MULTIPLE times a day I take unwanted photos or generate the alarm signal by having unwittingly pressed the off button too long. You grab the phone by the sides and you're bound to touch some functionality whether you want to or not. Voila. Not sure when that button placement change happened...

Zippy3505

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Indiana
I've had mine for several months, and overall happy with it. The battery does lack in, in my opinion. I may move to 13 mini, I'm on T-Mobile jump on demand.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Some discounts and trade-in offers in my country have brought the price of the 12 mini 64 GB down to about USD 450. At that price, I got two. One each for me and my father.

Don’t need more than 64, so it was a safe buy.

Cash backs would reduce the price per device to about USD 400. At 400, I couldn’t resist it any longer.

13 mini starts at USD 1,000.

This will be my first iPhone with the newfangled Face ID and gestures. So far I was a home button user.

Reactions: satchmo

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The one odd thing is speed. While it's fast enough, for some strange reason, the iPhone 11 Pro I had on loan for a few months prior, felt a little snappier. Not sure why, given they have the same RAM and the 12 mini has the newer A14 processor. But this is certainly not a dealbreaker.

I had the same feeling with a 7 and my 8. The 7's UI always felt just a notch snappier than my 8's. Never figured that out. Same with my 5S and 5, the 5's UI somehow always felt a little faster than 5S.

But, the apps and other aspects and tasks were a different story, always, and worked as expected. The UI funniness was weird, though. I have not found the same thing with 12 mini and 8. Here, the 12 mini is faster even in the UI department. This I appreciate. ?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I'm a 12 Mini owner since June of this year and whilst I'm happy with most aspects - coming from a 7 plus, how could you not be - the one thing which regularly trips me up and has me screaming at Tim and Co. is the g*ddamn ergonomics of this device. Having the on/off opposite to the volume buttons means that MULTIPLE times a day I take unwanted photos or generate the alarm signal by having unwittingly pressed the off button too long. You grab the phone by the sides and you're bound to touch some functionality whether you want to or not. Voila. Not sure when that button placement change happened...

Power button at the top is the perfect placement for a device the size (and shape) of an iPhone mini. Tim's Apple is just lazy in such departments now, and people will not accept it but flame those who speak it.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Power button at the top is the perfect placement for a device the size (and shape) of an iPhone mini. Tim's Apple is just lazy in such departments now, and people will not accept it but flame those who speak it.
I agree, I would prefer the power button at the top of the iPhone Mini.

Unfortunately for you and me, the side power button is preferable to the majority of iPhone Mini customers.

Unless you believe that Apple has developed some perverse aversion to making money, they are not defying statistical ergonomics just to torment us two.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

that sounds like a ‘you’ problem. Where you coming from an SE OG or 5/5S before?

I downgraded from using the iPhone 8 for 2yrs to an iPhone SE OG for 4mth prior to the 12 mini and took a week or two for me to adjust. Since my hands are small average size for a small frame guy, I find reaching to the top with my index finder cumbersome. My adjust has to do with landscape orientation confusion which does make sense since the volume buttons have always been on the left side of the iPhone since the beginning. Right? ;)
Maybe having a sleek case would help muscle memory of where the sleep/wake/power button is.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I agree, I would prefer the power button at the top of the iPhone Mini.

Unfortunately for you and me, the side power button is preferable to the majority of iPhone Mini customers.

Unless you believe that Apple has developed some perverse aversion to making money, they are not defying statistical ergonomics just to torment us two.

You're quite right! I loved the positioning of the Power button on my 5 series iPhone, and this 12 mini is so reminiscent of it. I love this design and form factor, I am sad people did not lap it up enough and that Apple might not make another. This really is a very handy size and weight.

On that note, the 8 was great, but the 12/ 13 mini are better in all aspects. Just that the Power button would have been better off at the top, like they realised and did with the iPads. Oh and yes, it would not have killed them or Tim to have included Touch ID as an option in the Power button just like in the iPad, while retaining Face ID, creating two authentication modes to choose from. This would have been perfect for the 2020 year and even today and going forward, because to each their own.

I appreciate Face ID even though I have had the device for only a few hours with me and have unlocked it literally just about 3-4 times. Why? Because Face ID is decidedly faster and smoother (read hands-free) than Touch ID when it comes to filling passwords. Instead of first tapping on the keyboard to select the credential I want to use and pressing my finger on the home button, I now just tap the credential and Face ID does the rest, saving me one tap and being faster as well.

The more I use the 12 mini, the more I think of the 5-series. I like this. The only thing I do not appreciate is that in October 2021 I got a device assembled in December 2020 and the battery was manufactured in November 2020 - 330+ days old. Not happy about this.

Time will tell how the battery holds.

Reactions: Barbareren

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
that sounds like a ‘you’ problem.

Yes! Everything is personal. Everything! :)

We will find lovers of the Butterfly keyboard from the first MacBook 12" as well. The only reason we do not have those keyboards anymore is that a lot of YOUs raised a ruckus, and that number of YOUs was large enough to dent Tim's bottomline.

I really do not know why we make statements like this at someone who is only voicing out their opinion on something. We do not have to try and nullify their opinion, you know? Even if it were just one person in the world finding a problem with the placement of the Side button, that placement is a problem for that one person - nobody can deny that, in good mind.

Nobody becomes anybody by being in the herd. It is when they grow out of it and make a difference that they become somebody. A difference of opinion is a respectable thing. Someone's problem with the placement of the Side button is not a "their" problem - it is a problem for them, which means that should it be large enough or annoying enough for them, it becomes a problem for Apple since Apple loses a customer if it keeps making products that annoy that particular person, and then Apple loses out on the revenue and income from that one customer. They do this for one person, it might not hurt them a lot. But if it becomes a million YOUs, Tim's gonna call a meeting real soon. Do not underestimate your power. One YOU is all it takes.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
So why the heck have they put the power button on the right side of the iPhone 13 mini? And to turn off the phone you must hold down the right side power button AND one of the volume buttons on the left side at the same time. What an awkward process. The second option is to go into Settings / General to bring up the swipe power off icon on the screen. Who approves these ideas?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
So why the heck have they put the power button on the right side of the iPhone 13 mini? And to turn off the phone you must hold down the right side power button AND one of the volume buttons on the left side at the same time. What an awkward process. The second option is to go into Settings / General to bring up the swipe power off icon on the screen. Who approves these ideas?

I have no clue which genius at Apple comes up with these ideas and the next genius at Apple who proceeds to approve these ideas!

Coming from an 8, I did not know how to shut the 12 mini down. Twice I tried with holding the side button like I used to on the 8. First with the device in standby and locked, then with device unlocked and from Home Screen.

Last resort, shut it down from the Settings menu, and then after the restart, looked it up. Realised the new way to shut this device. I really want that media people start questioning Tim on these decisions as well, only for the public to see how the minds work at Apple.

Shut down should have been with holding that Side button and dragging the slider when it comes up, like it has been since the iPhone 4S that I started my iPhone journey with. It is ridiculous to have to hold two buttons to get to that slider.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes! Everything is personal. Everything! :)

We will find lovers of the Butterfly keyboard from the first MacBook 12" as well. The only reason we do not have those keyboards anymore is that a lot of YOUs raised a ruckus, and that number of YOUs was large enough to dent Tim's bottomline.

I really do not know why we make statements like this at someone who is only voicing out their opinion on something. We do not have to try and nullify their opinion, you know? Even if it were just one person in the world finding a problem with the placement of the Side button, that placement is a problem for that one person - nobody can deny that, in good mind.

Nobody becomes anybody by being in the herd. It is when they grow out of it and make a difference that they become somebody. A difference of opinion is a respectable thing. Someone's problem with the placement of the Side button is not a "their" problem - it is a problem for them, which means that should it be large enough or annoying enough for them, it becomes a problem for Apple since Apple loses a customer if it keeps making products that annoy that particular person, and then Apple loses out on the revenue and income from that one customer. They do this for one person, it might not hurt them a lot. But if it becomes a million YOUs, Tim's gonna call a meeting real soon. Do not underestimate your power. One YOU is all it takes.

why did you isolate one sentence of my post, was it to purposely take it out of context? Sorry you took it negatively, that single sentence was to highlight you post that seemed to make a statement that Apple should make the change to relocate the power button to the top of the iPhone mini. I comprehended your post as it was a ‘we’ problem but that sentiment isn’t as widely perceived.

malos in context I asked a few questions and posted my personal experiences that may/not relate to your view experiences. Like you said everything is personal hence y I posted a lot more than just that sentence you quoted. Sorry again you took it negatively it was not my intent.

PS: I was down with the butterfly keyboard and the touchbar on both my 2016 MBP 13” and 2020 models, if you isolated a search of my posts on that subject you’d find that. I’m not always one of those “you’s”

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
As someone who has used and tested both the 12 and 13 mini quite a bit, here are the only things that are NOTICEABLY different between the 13 mini and 12 mini:
  • The battery life on the 13 mini is noticeably better/longer-lasting than the 12 mini. I'd say I'm getting on average an extra 1.5-2 hours a day more.
  • The 13 mini is noticeably a little heavier than the 12 mini
  • The diagonal lens arrangement on the back is different to 12's vertical arrangement
  • You get those nice exclusive live wallpapers on the 13 mini (and 13) that you don't get on the Pro or any other iPhone model (including the 12 mini)

In terms of what is noticeable between the 12 and 13 mini - that's it. In real day-to-day usage it isn't any faster or any brighter, the camera takes similar quality pictures and the screens look great on both. Those bullet points are the only things I can genuinely say are noticeably different between the two. Even the notch size difference isn't really noticeable. I used the 12 mini again just now and didn't notice the increase in notch size at all.

In terms of whether a 12 mini is worth it - it comes down to one consideration. Battery life.

If you're a 'power user' dependent on tons of battery life, perhaps coming from a larger phone, that is constantly streaming stuff, using lots of widgets and apps, bluetooth and other things that run the battery down, the 12 mini is NOT for you. If you rely on your phone that much then you'll probably be charging it at least a couple of times a day.

If you're a casual phone user, occasionally browsing the internet, checking/sending the occasional message, not streaming video all the time then the 12 mini is a great phone and a bargain at the moment used. In the UK you can pick up a mint condition one for around £400 or less.

The 13 mini isn't exactly for power users either, but it comfortably has a full day's battery life for the average user. I'm very impressed with the 13 mini.

Last edited:

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
As someone who has used and tested both the 12 and 13 mini quite a bit, here are the only things that are NOTICEABLY different between the 13 mini and 12 mini:
  • The battery life on the 13 mini is noticeably better/longer-lasting than the 12 mini. I'd say I'm getting on average an extra 1.5-2 hours a day more.
  • The 13 mini is noticeably a little heavier than the 12 mini
  • The diagonal lens arrangement on the back is different to 12's vertical arrangement
  • You get those nice exclusive live wallpapers on the 13 mini (and 13) that you don't get on the Pro or any other iPhone model (including the 12 mini)

In terms of what is noticeable between the 12 and 13 mini - that's it. In real day-to-day usage it isn't any faster or any brighter, the camera takes similar quality pictures and the screens look great on both. Those bullet points are the only things I can genuinely say are noticeably different between the two. Even the notch size difference isn't really noticeable. I used the 12 mini again just now and didn't notice the increase in notch size at all.

In terms of whether a 12 mini is worth it - it comes down to one consideration. Battery life.

If you're a 'power user' dependent on tons of battery life, perhaps coming from a larger phone, that is constantly streaming stuff, using lots of widgets and apps, bluetooth and other things that run the battery down, the 12 mini is NOT for you. If you rely on your phone that much then you'll probably be charging it at least a couple of times a day.

If you're a casual phone user, occasionally browsing the internet, checking/sending the occasional message, not streaming video all the time then the 12 mini is a great phone and a bargain at the moment used. In the UK you can pick up a mint condition one for around £400 or less at the moment.

The 13 mini isn't exactly for power users either, but it comfortably has a full day's battery life for the average user. I'm very impressed with the 13 mini.

What about the way the 12 mini gets quite warm with light use- does that not happen as much with the 13 mini?

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
What about the way the 12 mini gets quite warm with light use- does that not happen as much with the 13 mini?
The 13 mini sometimes gets a little warm but no more or less than the 12 mini. When the 12 mini got warm it wasn't ever hot or a concerning temperature to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.