Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Back in the early days of the iPhone, it was pretty obvious when a good upgrade year was. Now, it is not so clear. Any thoughts on if this is a good year to upgrade from the 12 Pro, or should I wait another year?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Depends on what is important to you. Your 12 will basically do what the 14 does, but the specs on the 14 are a bit better. Giant leaps in phone technology are not happening these day. Much depend on how much disposable income you have.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I doesn't seem like you're overly excited about upgrading this year which means there is no killer app for the phone that's screaming out to buy it for you. I'd wait for the 15. If the rumors are true then we will see some significant changes next year with the possibility of under the screen Touch ID, Periscope camera lens for 8~10x zoom lens and 3nm chip meaning better thermals and battery life. I doubt they'll change the design though next year.

Reactions: Mikey86uk

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My iPhone 12 Pro was working great except the battery was awful. Couldn’t make it through the day without having to recharge. I went to Apple to get a new battery and they scratched the heck out of it in the process. Ended up leaving with a brand new 12 Pro for the price of a battery. I’m quite happy to go another year with this phone that is working perfectly.

Reactions: internetrando

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
At first, i was like okay I'm interested, but as I always do I like to let the dust settle and really think about it, and once I had done that there just wasn't enough to upgrade from the 12PM.

Yeah my battery sucks but i will get that sorted under Apple Care, the cameras are rock solid and considering 90% of the time i view my photos on my phone screen, I'm sure I won't notice the difference between the 12PM and 14PM.

And the Dynamic island is a bit gimmicky. Good idea, but not enough to spend £1300+ on or lock me into a ridiculously expensive contract for the next 2/3 years.

However i will no doubt upgrade when they drop the 15PM

Reactions: smoking monkey

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I upgraded from the 12 Pro to the 14 Pro Max. The biggest differences are the screen being 120hz, this is really nice. Obviously the size difference is nice as well. I always have an easier time with the keyboard on the larger phones. But hot damn is the camera bump ever big is comparison. I had a leather Apple case on the 12 Pro and it was flat with the case. Now the one on the Pro Max, and holy hell it protrudes. However, I’ve noticed it actually helps me grip the phone as my finger rests where that bump is.

The cameras are noticeably better, and overall it is snappier as expected. The dynamic island so far seems cool, but it’s not a huge change, it’s still iOS.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I doesn't seem like you're overly excited about upgrading this year which means there is no killer app for the phone that's screaming out to buy it for you. I'd wait for the 15. If the rumors are true then we will see some significant changes next year with the possibility of under the screen Touch ID, Periscope camera lens for 8~10x zoom lens and 3nm chip meaning better thermals and battery life. I doubt they'll change the design though next year.
The periscope lens tempts me to wait until next year.

Reactions: Student of Life

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
How much of an upgrade is the new 48mp camera?
Massive!!!
This is why I upgraded. I’m a photographer and this is a fantastic upgrade. The clarity is unbelievable.

E052A849-0D46-4D49-8894-A162479667D9.jpeg

9F0F66D1-1580-489C-B950-6A2508514FF9.png

ED1416CB-BF4C-4549-9871-90BC10CA55C7.jpeg

DC04F62C-15A6-4810-86D1-3B64FE810A00.png

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I upgraded from the 12 Pro to the 14 Pro Max. The biggest differences are the screen being 120hz, this is really nice. Obviously the size difference is nice as well. I always have an easier time with the keyboard on the larger phones. But hot damn is the camera bump ever big is comparison. I had a leather Apple case on the 12 Pro and it was flat with the case. Now the one on the Pro Max, and holy hell it protrudes. However, I’ve noticed it actually helps me grip the phone as my finger rests where that bump is.

The cameras are noticeably better, and overall it is snappier as expected. The dynamic island so far seems cool, but it’s not a huge change, it’s still iOS.
Is the camera upgrade noticeable?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Definitely… look at my post. However the 48mp resolution is only available when using ProRAW. But the 12mp files are also much better. Portrait mode is now so accurate that it looks like a DSLR photo. The 48mp sensor has so much resolution, it is as good as my Sony A7RIII which is a 42mp

Reactions: c613m

caparsons

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
I have mixed feelings on whether it’s ‘better’ or not. I do a lot of street photography and the processing speed (around 1s to capture and process a 48 megapixel image) means it’s a *lot* harder to catch people exactly as I want them in a frame; I was out yesterday and had a lot of missed shots due to the capture delay speed. That being said, the level of detail is pretty amazing and does offer some impressive cropping opportunities.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Here is how practical the iphone 14 Pro Max's new features are in my situation:

Dynamic Island is useful for me. For example, when using a timer, I used to have to launch the app again to see the timer. now it shows remaining time on the Island, and I can touch it to launch the timer app, very clever. Another example, when watching apple TV, touching DI launches the Remote. In the past, I had to launch the Control center and then launch the Remote.

I turned off Always On Screen after a day. I don't see the need for it since I can just pick up the phone and it wakes up.

45MP camera comes in handy when I need to take a photo that needs alot of zoom/detail later on. I can turn Raw on for 45MP and off for 12MP directly from the camera app. I don't expect to use 45MP all the time due to large photo size.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I have mixed feelings on whether it’s ‘better’ or not. I do a lot of street photography and the processing speed (around 1s to capture and process a 48 megapixel image) means it’s a *lot* harder to catch people exactly as I want them in a frame; I was out yesterday and had a lot of missed shots due to the capture delay speed. That being said, the level of detail is pretty amazing and does offer some impressive cropping opportunities.
Is the processing speed slow for any photo you take?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Is the processing speed slow for any photo you take?
Not really… it takes 1 1/4 of a second to get the ProRAW image ready to view. The jpeg shots are immediate. When I saw Austin Mann’s camera review for the 14 pro, he did say that the ProRAW was slow but not bad. I don’t think it’s all that slow. I don’t even notice it anymore.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Not really… it takes 1 1/4 of a second to get the ProRAW image ready to view. The jpeg shots are immediate. When I saw Austin Mann’s camera review for the 14 pro, he did say that the ProRAW was slow but not bad. I don’t think it’s all that slow. I don’t even notice it anymore.
Thanks. Do you notice much of a difference from 12 pro for the jpeg shots too? And also night mode?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Thanks. Do you notice much of a difference from 12 pro for the jpeg shots too? And also night mode?
I haven’t used the 12 pro lately, my wife has one. The larger sensor in the 14 pro / pro max is fantastic. The 14 pro’s sensor is 65% larger that the 13 pro. And the 13 pro sensor is 47% larger than the 12 pro max. So yeah, big difference. Night mode is so clean now and a noticeable improvement over my 13 pro max. The Milky Way and stars look so much cleaner. The optics on the 14 pro are very nice, very sharp. I’ll have to test the jpeg quality, I mostly shoot ProRAW. So far the new larger sensor doesn’t fail to impress.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
My 14 Pro came today, and I've come from a 12 Pro, I originally decided I wasn't going to upgrade, but my 12 Pro is really struggling battery wise recently

DI is pretty cool (and gimmicky tbf but I love the way its integrated and can't wait to see how other apps use it), camera improvements, always wanted an AOD and really enjoying that, the 120HZ screen and its definitely snappier

The only downside I'd say is the stupid camera bump increase on the back, but I rarely have to look at it

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I'm holding on to my 12 Pro until these things have USB-C ports and either USB 3.x, or actual Thunderbolt. The new flavor of WiFi would be nice, too.

It would be great if the periscope telephoto lens that has been rumored for the next round comes to the regular 15 Pro, and not just the 15 Pro Max. No way I'm jumping up in size.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Back in the early days of the iPhone, it was pretty obvious when a good upgrade year was. Now, it is not so clear. Any thoughts on if this is a good year to upgrade from the 12 Pro, or should I wait another year?
Well only you can answer that. What do you use your phone for? Are the changes important to you? I upgraded from the 13 PM to the 14 PM but that was because of what I wanted. If you're on a budget I'd say no way because even if your battery in the 12 is failing that's $69 at the Apple Store. On the other hand there's always going to be something better next year so if you wait because of that then you'll never upgrade.

Here's some simple questions

Do you want a better camera or are you happy with what you have?

Is car crash detection important to you? Mainly if you drive rural roads where you might have a crash and it's not noticed.

Is an always on display something that would interest you? For most people that's probably going to be no but if you're sitting with the phone on your desk it's nice to see the time. At least that's my experience.

Are looks important to you and do you like the colors of the 14 Pro?

Do this or don't for reasons you have not for reasons other people have. I like the silver and white for example so that was a factor but you might think that's ugly. I'd tell you to upgrade for that reason though.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I'm holding on to my 12 Pro until these things have USB-C ports and either USB 3.x, or actual Thunderbolt. The new flavor of WiFi would be nice, too.

It would be great if the periscope telephoto lens that has been rumored for the next round comes to the regular 15 Pro, and not just the 15 Pro Max. No way I'm jumping up in size.
So what’s the fascination with USB - C? The connection doesn’t hold as farmly as the lightning cable and if you’re just gonna use it to charge the phone then you have MagSafe which is faster anyway. Will you be using it to transfer data from your phone to the computer? I have only used USB – C to charge my iPad Pro with. For me, USBC would only be for charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.