Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So I just received my 15 Pro, I've been rocking the 12 Pro for some time now. The 12 Pro has been a stellar device, one that I'm incredibly happy with.

We're at a point in the smartphone life cycle that upgrading once every 3 years isn't worth it. I mean if I were to buy this phone outright (without a trade in). It would cost me around 1,500 dollars (256GB model, AC+, sales tax). I'm not getting anything worth 1,500 dollars that I don't already have in my iPhone 12 Pro.

Thankfully I'm getting a 830 dollar trade-in for my 12 Pro. I don't know if that sort of thing will continue in the future, but I think as updates to these phones become more minor, its harder to justify spending that much money. I could have easily spent around a 100 bucks for a new battery and the 12 pro would give me 3+ more years of service. The fact that VZW offered me 830 dollars, is why I upgraded.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I went from a 12 non-pro to a 15 Pro. I'm with you in that i probably wouldn't have bothered if I didn't get the $830 trade in and 3 years of 0% financing on the rest. I upgraded my wife's phone too, but hers was less of a deal as i had to upgrade her plan by $10 / month to get the full discount. The new Verizon plans aren't as good of a deal as the older ones. Her line costs the same as mine and it doesn't include any perks like mine does.

But its all what people can / want to do. I stopped caring about having the latest phone years ago. Now I spend money on things like hot water heaters and private school...

Reactions: AlecEdworthy

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
So I just received my 15 Pro, I've been rocking the 12 Pro for some time now. The 12 Pro has been a stellar device, one that I'm incredibly happy with.

We're at a point in the smartphone life cycle that upgrading once every 3 years isn't worth it. I mean if I were to buy this phone outright (without a trade in). It would cost me around 1,500 dollars (256GB model, AC+, sales tax). I'm not getting anything worth 1,500 dollars that I don't already have in my iPhone 12 Pro.

Thankfully I'm getting a 830 dollar trade-in for my 12 Pro. I don't know if that sort of thing will continue in the future, but I think as updates to these phones become more minor, its harder to justify spending that much money. I could have easily spent around a 100 bucks for a new battery and the 12 pro would give me 3+ more years of service. The fact that VZW offered me 830 dollars, is why I upgraded.
I get it. I have a two-year cycle on my upgrades. I think the main draw for me was USB-C and the increased battery life going from my 13 Pro to the 15 PM. I should get much more battery. I generally agree with you though. I suspect I won't be upgrading again for three years or so.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023

Welcome in iPhone 15 group! It is nice to see you in this forum after a while. Everyone has different priorities in life to spend the money. I totally understand your perspective. I am glad that you got a good deal for a new phone. Enjoy your new phone 😊

Reactions: iObama and maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
But its all what people can / want to do. I stopped caring about having the latest phone years ago.
Yeah, I've long stopped that behavior myself.

How are you finding the battery life of the 15 Pro compared to the 12 Pro?
I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison only becausee I'm comparing a 3 year old battery. Normally when I wake up in the morning my iPhone 12 is at 40% (its not plugged in at night) and my 15 this morning showed 78% so battery life is indeed better

Welcome in iPhone 15 group! It is nice to see you in this forum after a while.
Thanks, I've had little need since my 12 have been so stable and my needs are so minimal.

The 15 isn't a bad phone, its just that imo its hard to justify spending 1,500 dollars.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Some very valid points. I upgraded from an iPhone 12 Pro Max, to an iPhone 15 ProMax.
Yes, I see a few minor improvements, so far (screen on display and a few others). But, I did not do an initial trade in. However, processed a 'trade in' yesterday to receive an Apple card. I will get $450. Actually not bad.

But, how on earth did you get so much?
Also, I think AT&T have a few trade in deals. But, I don't want to be tied to a 30 month term...

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison only becausee I'm comparing a 3 year old battery. Normally when I wake up in the morning my iPhone 12 is at 40% (its not plugged in at night) and my 15 this morning showed 78% so battery life is indeed better
Thanks... just trying to get a better context and understanding for the negative comments about battery life.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I also upgraded from 12 Pro to 15 Pro - due to trade value and a work incentive it was pretty much a wash, I paid about $10 out of pocket for the 15 Pro. For that price, of course, it’s well worth it. But it’s certainly an interative update. I don’t notice the ProMotion at all; I do expect to get some benefit out of the camera improvements though.

I look forward to the next iPhone-X style “Leap” in hardware upgrades - without that (and without a similar financial situation as I had this year) I don’t see upgrading for many years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I don't do trade ins and since my cell plan is grandfathered and I don't want to lose it, I don't do promos either.

That leaves purchasing outright, which I can rarely if ever do, buying used, or full price on an installment plan with my carrier (or Apple). I usually go with the installment plan.

In 2021, the monthly payments for what I wanted would have been more than I was willing to pay. So, now there is a fourth option for me and that's the one I'll be following the next time I upgrade. And that is, upgrading on an installment plan to an older device.

At the time I upgraded the 12 was new, the 11 was old and the 13 was six months away. I went with the 11 Pro Max and got everything I wanted. That's my current phone.

Way back when, carriers used to offer subsidized plans for phones. They locked you in for two years. That is the model that I followed until the iPhone 5 (my first purchase of a new iPhone). With the iPhone 5, I didn't see any need to be upgrading yearly and the iPhone 5 also coincided with the year that my then carrier dropped phone subsidies.

So now I upgrade every 2.5 to 5.5 years and with what happened in 2021, when it's time to upgrade again in 2024 or 2025 I'll be getting the 15 when everyone else is buying the 17.

• Haha
Reactions: wickedrm

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks for the input guys. I am on the fence(12 PM), I am mainly upgrading for the camera anyway and space. But I will just delete some pics and make it last for another year. I used to upgrade every 2 years but now I feel like it is not worth it esp since I will just be using the same apps and wont even bother with gaming on my phone lol.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the input guys. I am on the fence(12 PM), I am mainly upgrading for the camera anyway and space. But I will just
The only way it makes financial sense (to me) is if you get a sweet trade in deal, like what VZW had offered me. I was contemplating returning the 15 last night and then just getting a battery replacement, but getting 830 dollars on an iPhone 12 trade in was just too good to pass up. I was concerned that I'd be rolling the dice that I'd see the same deal in 2024 and who knows if that will be the case. Spending 500 bucks to give me 3 yeas of usage seemed like a safe bet

5x10

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
The only way it makes financial sense (to me) is if you get a sweet trade in deal, like what VZW had offered me. I was contemplating returning the 15 last night and then just getting a battery replacement, but getting 830 dollars on an iPhone 12 trade in was just too good to pass up. I was concerned that I'd be rolling the dice that I'd see the same deal in 2024 and who knows if that will be the case. Spending 500 bucks to give me 3 yeas of usage seemed like a safe bet
How are you getting $830 in trade in? Do you have to commit to a 2 yr contract? I’m with Verizon

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Obviously $830 is CRAZY high for a 12 Pro; Verizon is using that as incentive (which is fine, and it obviously worked 😉). I agree, that would be a tough deal to pass by.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
How are you getting $830 in trade in? Do you have to commit to a 2 yr contract? I’m with Verizon
I don't think I'm in a 2 year commitment. I just saw they offered me that much money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I do, I'm ok with that, I've had ATT and they were horrible, both customer service and cell reception. I've been very pleased with VZW and I have no plans on leaving them - at least for the foreseeable future.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
If it's like AT&T, the catch is that you don't get the $830 up front... you get it monthly spread out over the course of 3 years or so, so it's effectively at least somewhat locking you in to a contract.

Reactions: Act3 and 5x10

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
I really wanted to upgrade because I wanted to switch to USB C. I only did it because the T-Mobile trade in for an iPhone 13 Pro will net me $1000 total after 2 years.

Trading in makes getting new phones actually reasonable thankfully, and I think the carriers figured that out.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
The iPhone 15 Pro Max is not worth the price. You have $450 Android phones that have:
- 120hz AMOLED display
- 5000mah battery (bigger than the iPhone)
- 8GB RAM (just the iPhone 15 Pro)
- 256 GB storage (just like the iPhone 15 Pro)
- Very tiny punchhole (instead of a huge pill eating up your screen real estate that is on the iPhone 15 Pro Max)

The only thing what is missing is the same quality of camera’s and 2000 nits of brightness. But are you buying a phone or a camera?

Mid-tier Android phones is where the best bang for your buck is.

iPhone’s are strange devices. The more expensive it is, the more it sells. The iPhone 15 Pro Max is almost pushed back to December, but I can pick up any regular iPhone 15 in any colour today in the Apple Store.

Last edited:

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
The iPhone 15 Pro Max is not worth the price. You have $450 Android phones that have:
- 120hz AMOLED display
- 5000mah battery (bigger than the iPhone)
- 8GB RAM (just the iPhone 15 Pro)
- 256 GB storage (just like the iPhone 15 Pro)
- Very tiny punchhole (instead of a huge pill eating up your screen real estate that is on the iPhone 15 Pro Max)

The only thing what is missing is the same quality of camera’s and 2000 nits of brightness. But are you buying a phone or a camera?

Mid-tier Android phones is where the best bang for your buck is.

iPhone’s are strange devices. The more expensive it is, the more it sells. The iPhone 15 Pro Max is almost pushed back to December, but I can pick up any regular iPhone 15 in any colour today in the Apple Store.

I think you made your way to the wrong forum lol

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
12 Pro to 15 Pro as well. I questioned it at first but after using the phone it is definitely a big difference. You don't think about it but the higher screen refresh rate is VERY noticeable in all the animations. The Camera difference is Significant, even the 12Pro to 13 has a big enough difference to consider Switching.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Well, I don't do trade ins and since my cell plan is grandfathered and I don't want to lose it, I don't do promos either.

That leaves purchasing outright, which I can rarely if ever do, buying used, or full price on an installment plan with my carrier (or Apple). I usually go with the installment plan.

In 2021, the monthly payments for what I wanted would have been more than I was willing to pay. So, now there is a fourth option for me and that's the one I'll be following the next time I upgrade. And that is, upgrading on an installment plan to an older device.

At the time I upgraded the 12 was new, the 11 was old and the 13 was six months away. I went with the 11 Pro Max and got everything I wanted. That's my current phone.

Way back when, carriers used to offer subsidized plans for phones. They locked you in for two years. That is the model that I followed until the iPhone 5 (my first purchase of a new iPhone). With the iPhone 5, I didn't see any need to be upgrading yearly and the iPhone 5 also coincided with the year that my then carrier dropped phone subsidies.

So now I upgrade every 2.5 to 5.5 years and with what happened in 2021, when it's time to upgrade again in 2024 or 2025 I'll be getting the 15 when everyone else is buying the 17.
I messed up a couple of years ago and mistakenly forfeited the old Verizon unlimited plan when I upgraded some phones. Wish I still had the $85 unlimited bucket and each additional line was only $20 (I have 10 lines on a family plan). Oh well, lesson learned, but I should've paid more attention to the promo and much prefer the old grandfathered plan, even if only 4G LTE. On a side note I still have a really old 24Hr Fitness gym membership that's $29 annual renewal.

Took advantage of the $830 Verizon trade-in on my daughter's regular iPhone 12 and upgraded her to an iPhone 15 for basically zero out of pocket. The unlimited plan on the iPhone 15 though is an extra $7/month.

I think it was a worthwhile upgrade -- better cameras on the base iPhone 15, new warranty, better battery and performance, and dynamic island. We got the iPhone 12 for only $180 during a promo a few years ago after the 13 came out, so getting $830 trade-in for it now is fantastic.

Reactions: eyoungren

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2017
Yeah. I mean from 12PM, I read around and many say the upgrade in camera is noticeable. I am sure it will make my travel pics more beautiful. But at the price, not worth it. In my country, trades are not even available. lol. So f that. If next year's 16's new size is true, at least it makes it a bit new. I wish I am rich so I can upgrade more often, but I rather spend my money on travel itself than a the latest iphone for travel pics.

Reactions: maflynn

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
If it's like AT&T, the catch is that you don't get the $830 up front... you get it monthly spread out over the course of 3 years or so, so it's effectively at least somewhat locking you in to a contract.
Yup, but the difference is you can pay it off at any time, and instantly get the phone unlocked. It's also very clearly a promotion/classic 2 year deal behind the scenes, since no iPhone 12 Pro is worth $830 these days. They're paying a premium to keep you as a customer.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022

The drawback is the credit is applied over the course of three years as a monthly credit. That is fine with us because we don't upgrade yearly and we've been with Verizon for a long time and don't plan to leave. Even if we did jump to, say Tmobile, there are usually carrier promos for switching that will pay off devices. But for us, Verizon still offers the best coverage and service in our area so we're staying put.

Screenshot_20230926_094625_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230926_094642_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 5x10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.