Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think I'm in a 2 year commitment. I just saw they offered me that much money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I do, I'm ok with that, I've had ATT and they were horrible, both customer service and cell reception. I've been very pleased with VZW and I have no plans on leaving them - at least for the foreseeable future.
If you want to realize the full $830 of your trade-in, you're actually in a three year commitment for Verizon. Not like your phone is locked, but I'm pretty sure that amount is split out over 36 months. So if you change providers or upgrade your phone within those 36 months you're out whatever the rest of the trade-in value was.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
If you want to realize the full $830 of your trade-in, you're actually in a three year commitment for Verizon
I'm sure, though I may very well just pay off the balance well before that 3 year mark. However with that said, unless there's a major updates in the iPhone 17 or 18, I can easily see myself holding off.

5x10

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
excellent, cancelled my apple order and going this route. $5.56 per month per phone , that’s with the 256gb plus, kids just got new phones too, Santa came early

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
The iPhone 15 Pro Max is not worth the price. You have $450 Android phones that have:
- 120hz AMOLED display
- 5000mah battery (bigger than the iPhone)
- 8GB RAM (just the iPhone 15 Pro)
- 256 GB storage (just like the iPhone 15 Pro)
- Very tiny punchhole (instead of a huge pill eating up your screen real estate that is on the iPhone 15 Pro Max)

The only thing what is missing is the same quality of camera’s and 2000 nits of brightness. But are you buying a phone or a camera?

Mid-tier Android phones is where the best bang for your buck is.

iPhone’s are strange devices. The more expensive it is, the more it sells. The iPhone 15 Pro Max is almost pushed back to December, but I can pick up any regular iPhone 15 in any colour today in the Apple Store.
Yea but there is one big problem with Android phones. It’s Android phone.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Yea but there is one big problem with Android phones. It’s Android phone.
Such an ignorant comment.

iOS isn't the end-all-be-all. Apple is still years behind Android in widgets, file management, and multiwindow/multitasking support. I love MacOS, my AirPods, and even my Apple Watch, but have no regrets ditching my iPhone(s) for Android (well, I do regret losing use of my Apple Watch, but I digress). Smartphones are just tools. Neither platform is inherently better than the other. Use whichever meets your needs best.

ViDeOmAnCiNi

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
AZ
How are you finding the battery life of the 15 Pro compared to the 12 Pro?
2-3X better. with my 12 Pro Max I had to charge every afternoon, especially on iOS 17 but with the 15 Pro Max I have 78% left and it's almost 2:30pm. this this rocks on battery so far! Hoping this will continue.

out of fairness, I have to mention that my iPhone 12PMax had a battery health maximum of only 84% when I traded it for the 15, but still it ate battery like candy...

Reactions: macphoto861

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
For what I use it for, I don’t see that much of an upgrade myself coming from 12P to 15P. Except for the camera, but I don’t take that many photos, except when on vacation. I’ll just go back to 12P and maybe change the battery since it’s at 84%, but I still get a full day out of it, except when on vacation where I use the GPS and camera extensively.

David9962000

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2023
I'm probably the 1% but I exchanged my 15Pro to a 15 regular.

I got the pro in the first place for the 120hz refresh rate but after using it for a few days for some reason it bothers my eyes. Strange.

Found myself using the Pro in low Bat mode anyways.

From a 15pro to the 15 regular, the 15 has the same nits and 48 camera pixels of the Pro.

I reduced my memory, traded the 12 regular(I didn't when I got the Pro) and saved about $550 by doing that.

I buy the phones since I use them in 2 countries and I have 2 post paid lines.

Last edited:

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I just refuse to pay apple full price anymore, 15 pro 256gb is $2049AUD here, I got my 14 pro 256gb 6 months ago brand new off FBM for $1K cash, similar deal on my wife's 12 pro max.
Even now already there is a 15 pro 128gb someone is selling for $300 off retail I could get, bought wrong GB size.
Will wait till another bargain to come my way.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022

iOS isn't the end-all-be-all. Apple is still years behind Android in widgets, file management, and multiwindow/multitasking support. I love MacOS, my AirPods, and even my Apple Watch, but have no regrets ditching my iPhone(s) for Android (well, I do regret losing use of my Apple Watch, but I digress). Smartphones are just tools. Neither platform is inherently better than the other. Use whichever meets your needs best.
Firsty, I use the ecosystem and so does my family and close relatives. Switching to Android phone would be problematic even if I wanted to (which I don’t).

Secondly, I still care about my privacy. So no Android, thank you very much.

Also design and user experience are more important to me than specs.

I just get annoyed when Android is suggested as an algernative to ”expensive” iPhones. There are reasons why those Android phones are so cheap even having ”better” tech spec sheet. Yeah family minivan has more space and seats than luxury sedan or a sports car. So it must be that only idiots buy those. Everyone should just get the minivan. It’s much better on paper.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Also coming from a 12 pro. Not a dramatic upgrade. Cameras are better, but I'm not a huge phone camera person. USB-C is nice and what I was holding out for, but ultimately is not a huge deal. But my new job gives me a generous allowance for personal electronics, so I figured why not. I could easily see myself sticking with this phone for 4-5 years.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Firsty, I use the ecosystem and so does my family and close relatives. Switching to Android phone would be problematic even if I wanted to (which I don’t).

I just get annoyed when Android is suggested as an algernative to ”expensive” iPhones. There are reasons why those Android phones are so cheap even having ”better” tech spec sheet. Yeah family minivan has more space and seats than luxury sedan or a sports car. So it must be that only idiots buy those. Everyone should just get the minivan. It’s much better on paper.
The rest of my family (10 lines on a family plan) are on iPhones, and my circle of friends are mostly iPhones too, it doesn't mean Android is a death sentence. Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. My Fold 4 gets along just fine communicating with everyone else in the Apple ecosystem, as well as continue to use my other Apple devices, such as MacBooks, iPad Pro, and AirPods. Keep an open mind. You can still use a quality Android phone and have a superior experience while still being in the Apple ecosystem. Many apps today are cross-platform and cloud-based anyways.

I wouldn't compare a mid-grade Android device to a premium iPhone, but Android as a core operating system is every bit as competent as iOS, and more so in some regards because it has to support so many more formats. Cheaper Android devices do highlight what's missing in pricier iPhones. Even if you don't like Android, you have to appreciate that it exists to spur competition and innovation with Apple.

Lastly, it is funny how people trumpet Apple's superior privacy but in reality your typical iPhone user is running apps by a multitude of companies that sell your data (YouTube, Disney, Snap, Meta, etc.), not to mention security/data breaches by phone carriers, so let's not pretend that by using an iPhone all your personal data is magically secure.

• Haha
Reactions: wickedrm

ethant

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
12 Pro to 15 Pro here as well. I went back and forth a lot, as my 12 Pro was basically still fine, despite a few strange intermittent issues. I finally decided to go for the upgrade and I’m quite satisfied so far.

The cameras are a big upgrade for me. I travel a lot and don’t always want to lug my big camera. USB C is great and another benefit that may be a bigger deal for me than others is the satellite SOS. I hike a fair amount in areas with no coverage and carry a Garmin inReach that I don’t think I’ll need anymore.

I am also pretty satisfied with the hand feel and weight of the new design. It doesn’t feel amazingly faster than my 12 Pro, but I’m also experiencing none of the heating issues that some seem to be having.

It all adds up to a lot of nice quality of life improvements that make the upgrade feel worthwhile to me. If you’re looking for a revolutionary leap, you won’t find it, but for me I’m very happy with my 15 Pro

ethant

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
One other nice improvement I forgot to mention - Face ID is much faster and more reliable than the 12 Pro.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
The rest of my family (10 lines on a family plan) are on iPhones, and my circle of friends are mostly iPhones too, it doesn't mean Android is a death sentence. Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. My Fold 4 gets along just fine communicating with everyone else in the Apple ecosystem, as well as continue to use my other Apple devices, such as MacBooks, iPad Pro, and AirPods. Keep an open mind. You can still use a quality Android phone and have a superior experience while still being in the Apple ecosystem. Many apps today are cross-platform and cloud-based anyways.

I wouldn't compare a mid-grade Android device to a premium iPhone, but Android as a core operating system is every bit as competent as iOS, and more so in some regards because it has to support so many more formats. Cheaper Android devices do highlight what's missing in pricier iPhones. Even if you don't like Android, you have to appreciate that it exists to spur competition and innovation with Apple.

Lastly, it is funny how people trumpet Apple's superior privacy but in reality your typical iPhone user is running apps by a multitude of companies that sell your data (YouTube, Disney, Snap, Meta, etc.), not to mention security/data breaches by phone carriers, so let's not pretend that by using an iPhone all your personal data is magically secure.
I approciate your thoughts on this.

To be honest, privacy isn’t the biggest reason for using Apple. I don’t use any social media platforms. I don’t touch Meta even with a long stick. But I do use Google services like Gmail, Drive and YouTube. I always disable history and else everything that I can related to privacy. So if I used Android I would still carefully choose the apps I use and mind my privacy settings.

Biggest reason not to switch to Android besides perhaps overall design and UX is convinience, seamless syncing between devices. Here are examples of Apple apps I use: iMessage, Photos, Calendar, Reminders, Notes. Those sync seamlessly acrross all devices. Now if I were to switch to an Android phone, I would have to replace all those with 3rd party apps.

So in my view when talking about iPhone pricing I see it more than just price for device itself, it’s more price also for the convinience of seamless ecosystem.

I actually never buy latest or expensive iPhone. Currently I’m on XR and my next iPhone will provably be SE3. Which is not that expensive. For my use (email, imessaging, facetiming, browsing the web, checking weather) XR and SE3 is more than enough. I take photos very rarely and I don’t game or consume content (YT, stresming) on my phone. So swithcing to Android wouldn’t save me that much money, especially considered that I typically use my iPhones 4-5 years.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012

Is it 2012 again?

Reactions: wickedrm

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
The link you posted caps out at $650, and that’s for a 14 pm
You're selecting the wrong options then. Select an iPhone 15 Pro size, then select a trade-in of 12 Pro or newer, then select Carrier finance:
1695820112480.png

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
You're selecting the wrong options then. Select an iPhone 15 Pro size, then select a trade-in of 12 Pro or newer, then select Carrier finance:
View attachment 2282503

Important to note that for these "great deal" trade-in value promos, you need to be on their latest and "greatest" rip off plans. I'm on a plan with TMobile that is wayyyyyyy better than their current Go5Junk scam, and I don't qualify for any type of boosted trade in value. Many will be in the same boat.

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010

You'll be back soon. Thats why you are on this forum :)

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
You'll be back soon. Thats why you are on this forum :)
Oh, I'll return...when Apple offers a foldable iPhone Ultra.

Although I no longer personally carry an iPhone, I still enjoy this site and keep up with all forms of tech. I'm on Macrumors, but also other Android forums. Rest of my family uses iPhones so it behooves me to keep up with Apple developments to educate relatives. Plus, I still do love my MacBooks.

phazedout

Suspended
Dec 15, 2022
After reading the comments, seems like OP is being a little disingenuous about the trade-in offer. $830 in monthly installments over 3 years, that you subsequently lose if you pay the phone off early is quite different than what was originally stated. Thanks for the clarification ya'll.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
After reading the comments, seems like OP is being a little disingenuous about the trade-in offer. $830 in monthly installments over 3 years, that you subsequently lose if you pay the phone off early is quite different than what was originally stated. Thanks for the clarification ya'll.
I don't think OP was intentionally withholding details. Verizon isn't the only carrier to apply trade-in credits monthly. For sure ATT also does it this way.

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I don't think OP was intentionally withholding details. Verizon isn't the only carrier to apply trade-in credits monthly. For sure ATT also does it this way.
I have a hard time not accepting that deal for my 12pro. If I like Verizon, the only downside is I have to stay with them for another 3 years. Ex. wife has a 12 and I have a 12 pro. We upgrade to 15's, trade the phones in.

What am I missing here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.