Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I am thinking of getting an iPhone 8 Plus from one of those 2nd hand dealers here as I may need to send in my iPad Pro 2017 12.9 inch for screen repair (backlight spot issues) and I can't afford to miss too many days with it (it is my only source of entertainment etc)

Aside as a way to cover my iOS needs during the downtime, I am planning to use this chance to see if
  • Going full iOS is for me since for my phone needs, I am using a Sony Xperia XZs
  • Using a bigger phone on the go is for me
  • Playing games on the go (or rather, while standing up on a train etc) instead of just sitting down with my iPad Pro, is for me
So I will like to know if
  • iPhone 8 Plus will be on par with the iPad Pro 2017 in terms of performance alone
  • iPhone 8 Plus will be a good enough phone to test all of these tasks
  • How should I deal with the 2nd hand dealers/shops/sellers when buying the phone
  • How should I deal with the lack of a headphone jack since I am using 3.5mm headphones
Thanks!

PS: In the event that I get the iPhone 8 Plus but it turns out that it is not for me after the tests, I am planning to pass it to my mum since she is still using a 6S and could use the upgrade

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Performance wise, the 8+ has an A11 chip while the 2017 Pro has an A10X. Coupled with a much lower resolution (FHD compared to bigger than FHD), the iPhone would be less prone to lags or performance dips, but that’s by nature since there is less to render and present.

That said, I am iffy about buying secondhand because you don’t know whether there were any repairs, or whether repairs all use authentic parts, among other uncertainties.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I have been using one for the last almost three years and performance is fine. If you want it for the bigger screen, give it a shot.
On the other hand there is the current iPhone SE that can be had new, not from some shady phone shop refurbishment, has a new battery, Apple warranty, potential to get AppleCare etc. That would likely be my pick.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I'd much rather have a refurbished 2nd hand iPhone 8 Plus than a brand new 2020 SE. The screen of the 8 Plus is not only bigger than the SE but superior in many ways.
If there was ever an phone that Apple should have kept available in perpetuity, it's the 8 Plus. There's nothing currently available that can match it for "best screen ever".

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Performance wise, the 8+ has an A11 chip while the 2017 Pro has an A10X. Coupled with a much lower resolution (FHD compared to bigger than FHD), the iPhone would be less prone to lags or performance dips, but that’s by nature since there is less to render and present.

That said, I am iffy about buying secondhand because you don’t know whether there were any repairs, or whether repairs all use authentic parts, among other uncertainties.

Thanks! I wish I did get on the bandwagon earlier, so it looks like I will have to risk all of these if I decide to get one

I have been using one for the last almost three years and performance is fine. If you want it for the bigger screen, give it a shot.
On the other hand there is the current iPhone SE that can be had new, not from some shady phone shop refurbishment, has a new battery, Apple warranty, potential to get AppleCare etc. That would likely be my pick.

I did consider the iPhone SE 2020 but it seems smaller than what I am using right now

I actually went BACK to my 8+ from the 2020 SE. Put a new battery in and its running great.

What made you go back to the 8+?

I'd much rather have a refurbished 2nd hand iPhone 8 Plus than a brand new 2020 SE. The screen of the 8 Plus is not only bigger than the SE but superior in many ways.
If there was ever an phone that Apple should have kept available in perpetuity, it's the 8 Plus. There's nothing currently available that can match it for "best screen ever".

This is surprising, why would the 8+'s screen be better than the 2020 SE?

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks! I wish I did get on the bandwagon earlier, so it looks like I will have to risk all of these if I decide to get one

I did consider the iPhone SE 2020 but it seems smaller than what I am using right now

What made you go back to the 8+?

This is surprising, why would the 8+'s screen be better than the 2020 SE?

8 plus is 401 ppi vs SE 326. And yes there is a huge difference in screen.

Have them both.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Have them both.

Yup one is the size of an 8, the other one is the plus version. Retina resolution on both. The bigger one obviously has more resolution. We have them both.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013

Definitely not the best screen ever but it’s a damn good screen.

Bought myself an 8 plus again cause it’s such a fantastic phone. Now if they did an 8 plus with updated internal it would be the iPhone to me. Even as it stands it’s incredible. And Touch ID in a pandemic is the best thing

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore

Have them both.

Thanks, I thought there was a difference in the material of the screen too but this PPI difference does make sense too

Yup one is the size of an 8, the other one is the plus version. Retina resolution on both. The bigger one obviously has more resolution. We have them both.

Thanks, as far as this thread or my use case is concerned, it seems to me that the SE 2020 is effectively an iPhone 8 that has a newer chip?

Definitely not the best screen ever but it’s a damn good screen.

Bought myself an 8 plus again cause it’s such a fantastic phone. Now if they did an 8 plus with updated internal it would be the iPhone to me. Even as it stands it’s incredible. And Touch ID in a pandemic is the best thing

Seems like a SE 2020 Plus will be nice in this current atmosphere

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As an 8+ user who is about to upgrade, I can safely say it’s still a very fast and capable iPhone with good battery life 3 years after it was released.

It’s a testament to how good the technology is and why nobody really needs to upgrade annually anymore. I’m upgrading for a change but I don’t have any real reason to as this phone is still going strong.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Thanks, I thought there was a difference in the material of the screen too but this PPI difference does make sense too

Thanks, as far as this thread or my use case is concerned, it seems to me that the SE 2020 is effectively an iPhone 8 that has a newer chip?

Seems like a SE 2020 Plus will be nice in this current atmosphere

It would be amazing

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
As an 8+ user who is about to upgrade, I can safely say it’s still a very fast and capable iPhone with good battery life 3 years after it was released.

It’s a testament to how good the technology is and why nobody really needs to upgrade annually anymore. I’m upgrading for a change but I don’t have any real reason to as this phone is still going strong.

Thanks, sounds like the iPhone 8+ will be also a long term investment, which is quite surprising given the recent iPhones

It would be amazing

Indeed, fingers crossed for that, but I think Apple would just redirect us to the newer (and much more expensive) iPhones

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Better off trying to get an X or XR, there’s a world of difference between those and an 8 or 8 surfboard, which are highly old fashioned devices.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Better off trying to get an X or XR, there’s a world of difference between those and an 8 or 8 surfboard, which are highly old fashioned devices.
You know what else is "old fashioned"?

Saving money by using an 8+ that does everything a phone costing 4 figures does and keeping your money.

Reactions: snipr125 and ericwn

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I'm currently using a iPhone 8 plus as my daily driver, with 97% battery health as of now. Not too shabby in 2020, 5.5" 1080p and touch ID. Purchase from Visible Feb 2020, factory unlocked, weirdly it was one of the first batches with iOS 11 installed and the lightning to headphone dongle in the box lol.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
8+ user here and it is still going strong with 98% battery. Plenty fast for me plus love Touch ID.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
You know what else is "old fashioned"?

Saving money by using an 8+ that does everything a phone costing 4 figures does and keeping your money.

I believe an X or an XR can be had for a lot less than 4 figures. Totally agree that spending that much is a waste of money that could be spent on better things. Doesn’t mean you have to sink to the 6SSS or 6SSS surfboard edition though

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

For those buying phones as fashion items, only the 23 will cut it this year. For regular users, different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.