Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I was so excited because I've been waiting for a new computer for awhile now.

Why? You've made it clear that you want something better for gaming but what about everything else? Your MBP is not old by any means. If you take away gaming, is your MBP good enough? That is, is it good enough for you to do your job? If the answer is yes, then it's stupid to even think about spending the money on a MP. If that's the case, then the best option IMO is to build a gaming PC. You can build something for under $1,000 that will be much better than your MBP.

If your current MBP isn't good enough for you to do your job, then I'd do some serious thinking about exactly what your needs are. It sounds like you don't need a MP but it's your money.

And I actually have one more question. I've heard that it may be possible to replace one of the graphics cards with something else, maybe more suitable for gaming. Do you know the validity of this statement and if it would be something that would be worth it?

Not quite totally valid. Those are proprietary cards in a product that's aimed at a very niche market. Don't count on being able to hop on newegg and buy a Mac Pro gaming GPU. That option went out the window when Apple decided to go with non-standard GPUs. Yes, the GPUs may be replaceable but that's most likely only helpful in the case where your GPU dies. In that case, you'd probably only be able to replace it with the exact same thing or perhaps a newer version of it.

Last edited:

Darthmnkyrpm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Why? You've made it clear that you want something better for gaming but what about everything else? Your MBP is not old by any means. If you take away gaming, is your MBP good enough? That is, is it good enough for you to do your job? If the answer is yes, then it's stupid to even think about spending the money on a MP. If that's the case, then the best option IMO is to build a gaming PC. You can build something for under $1,000 that will be much better than your MBP.

If your current MBP isn't good enough for you to do your job, then I'd do some serious thinking about exactly what your needs are. It sounds like you don't need a MP but it's your money.

So, I think I stressed gaming a bit too much. My main focus is to do video work. And yes, my computer can handle it, but it's very slow and can't render things nearly as fast as I would like it to. So I really just want a powerful computer that can actually handle all my video needs without taking hours to render some effects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.