Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
I have felt from day 1 the mobile reception on my Xs max has been crap

Hanging. Slow safari loading even when I see full coverage bars

Have just accepted it at this stage and hope my new September phone will be better

Battery life also took a huge knock after the first couple of weeks of ownership

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Here's what I found: I think I had a bad device. My service on a different iPhone XS Max. That being said, Apple and the carriers have seriously dropped the ball on servicing failing radios. The fact that if you call Apple, they say "call your carrier because it sounds like a carrier issue" is simply unacceptable. Calling the carrier, they blame Apple.

It's not okay in the slightest.

Reactions: Olivia23

robrobrobro

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
I'm seriously wondering what is wrong with modern Apple phones. I had an XR in which the reception itself was decent, but had a ton of various connectivity issues and I hated the big size. Now I have an iPhone 8 with the coveted qualcomm chip. Thought it would be a perfect compromise. Just right size, decent camera, theoretically good performance.
I was at a friend's place recently, which is one of those odd cell phone signal dead spots. My new 8 was unusable. I couldn't even receive any incoming iMessages. It then occurred to me to pull out my work phone, which is a ratty old iPhone 5c. While web browsing was slow due to the low signal, I still was able to browse on LTE, whereas my 8 was useless. That paired with horrible GPS performance, and it's making me want to give up on iPhones altogether.

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Several times a day messages I receive on my Xs Max. What a dud.

fullsizeoutput_1301.jpeg

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
I get the same on my X on Verizon
Mine is Verizon. I think the only phones that are effected are the CDMA versions. Qualcomm designed the CDMA chips for the CDMA carriers (Verizon and Sprint). Everyone I know who has a Xs on these two networks is having issues. My 8 plus does not have ANY cellular connectivity issues. I recently purchased a Pixel 3a XL to try and the reception and sound quality BLOWS AWAY any iPhone I have ever owned and have owned every one since they were released on Verizon. If I ever purchase another iPhone it will have to be a Qualcomm chip.

lex22

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
Mine is Verizon. I think the only phones that are effected are the CDMA versions. Qualcomm designed the CDMA chips for the CDMA carriers (Verizon and Sprint). Everyone I know who has a Xs on these two networks is having issues. My 8 plus does not have ANY cellular connectivity issues. I recently purchased a Pixel 3a XL to try and the reception and sound quality BLOWS AWAY any iPhone I have ever owned and have owned every one since they were released on Verizon. If I ever purchase another iPhone it will have to be a Qualcomm chip.

I think the Verizon X (not Xs) had a Qualcomm modem.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
See this website that explains how to find out which modem you have:

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-find-iphone-x-modem/

I originally tried 2 Maxes in the fall of 2018. Both had terrible connectivity from cellular phone calls to data to WiFi and also Bluetooth. They were just unusable for me. I returned both within the 14 day window. I was able to pick up a new X at Best Buy. It works perfectly with no connectivity issues. Not sure why the Maxes didn’t work for me and the X does. My X has the Qualcomm modem.

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
See this website that explains how to find out which modem you have:

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-find-iphone-x-modem/

I originally tried 2 Maxes in the fall of 2018. Both had terrible connectivity from cellular phone calls to data to WiFi and also Bluetooth. They were just unusable for me. I returned both within the 14 day window. I was able to pick up a new X at Best Buy. It works perfectly with no connectivity issues. Not sure why the Maxes didn’t work for me and the X does. My X has the Qualcomm modem.
Because of the Qualcomm modem

Reactions: newellj

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
It's gotten quite ridiculous how too the cell reception is on the XS / Max. All too often I find 1 or 2 bars in what should be a well covered area (Verizon in Houston). I never had these reception issues with my X. Today I even found a spot, where I had 3 bars, and could not get any data. And just recently I even did a clean wipe, so it shouldn't be any software / setting. Frustrating beyond belief...

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
It's gotten quite ridiculous how too the cell reception is on the XS / Max. All too often I find 1 or 2 bars in what should be a well covered area (Verizon in Houston). I never had these reception issues with my X. Today I even found a spot, where I had 3 bars, and could not get any data. And just recently I even did a clean wipe, so it shouldn't be any software / setting. Frustrating beyond belief...
I totally feel for you. I went through the same crap with 2 Maxes last fall. I have ATT in NH. I would swap the SIM card between my old Plus phone and the Max to see the difference. Both Maxes were pitiful.

Hardware_Hank

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2019
This phone is a total joke, -120db on 2 separate carriers? I thought it was T-Mobile at first but even with Verizon I get jack signal

Attachments

• 44B37309-3B8C-417D-8A28-84C826603057.png
    44B37309-3B8C-417D-8A28-84C826603057.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 230

trparky

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Is this still an issue? Is there a different revision of the hardware that doesn't have this issue?

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
I have a Verizon Xs, don't think I've had a dropped call yet in 6 months. That said, it's not uncommon to show 1-2 bars of service pretty much everywhere.

Still looking forward to Apple dumping Intel and going back to Qualcomm and/or in-house so we never have to deal with this again.

fryfrkhlly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have an XS with T-Mobile and service has been ****** since day one. In areas that should be 4 bars I’m lucky to get two. Can’t wait to get a new one next month.

Kimmie92592

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
California
I have an XS with T-Mobile and service has been ****** since day one. In areas that should be 4 bars I’m lucky to get two. Can’t wait to get a new one next month.
Mine too! I’ve never hated my iPhone before but my xs max on TMobile has been the worst. Very poor reception. Shows bars of service when there’s no service at all. iPhone 7 works. Not this piece of junk. Keeps dropping Bluetooth. I can’t reliably use maps. I have to use my husbands iPhone 7 if I need gps. I’m so much regretting this purchase still, even almost one year later. I’ve had multiple contacts with Apple and TMobile and they just point the finger to each other.

Reactions: fryfrkhlly

fastbagger

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Rumor has it they will be using a different antenna material this time around ... should be interesting ...
Bingo there is the issue. My wife's Xr on V works fine because the Xs has that MiMo antenna setup. I think the combo of the Intel chip and MiMo is the issue.

fryfrkhlly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Mine too! I’ve never hated my iPhone before but my xs max on TMobile has been the worst. Very poor reception. Shows bars of service when there’s no service at all. iPhone 7 works. Not this piece of junk. Keeps dropping Bluetooth. I can’t reliably use maps. I have to use my husbands iPhone 7 if I need gps. I’m so much regretting this purchase still, even almost one year later. I’ve had multiple contacts with Apple and TMobile and they just point the finger to each other.

Yes same here!! It’s so frustrating. I finally stopped trying and use WiFi when I can but even that is hit or miss sometimes. I’m counting down till I can get a new one lol

Reactions: Olivia23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.