Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
I’ve stuck with my current SE for all this time because of my preference for the smaller form factor. The only thing that has let me down at this point is battery, it just isn’t enough to last me through your average working day and at this point I’m willing to sacrifice it’s comfortable form factor just for a proper battery life.

I was excited for the new SE and I was hoping for a larger battery due to the rumors it would be slightly thicker, but it has the same battery capacity to an iphone 8. It would definitely be an upgrade from my current phone anyways, but it is a bit disappointing it isn’t nearly as good as the rest of the current iPhones in the battery department and I’m worried it won’t age well. My average working day before quarantine would go from 8am to 7-9pm so it would be pointless to get a new phone with a less comfortable form factor just for a better battery life only to be carrying around a charger as usual.

Now I’m in quarantine and I could save up for a XR/11 or even wait for a 12 if it’s line isn’t just Pro’s, but I feel like it is overkill to spend at least €700 on a phone I’ll only be using for communication, social media and photos (don’t really care much about the newer specs and features I’m not fussy). But battery life is also extremely important.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Burebista

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
I’ve stuck with my current SE for all this time because of my preference for the smaller form factor. The only thing that has let me down at this point is battery, it just isn’t enough to last me through your average working day and at this point I’m willing to sacrifice it’s comfortable form factor just for a proper battery life.

I was excited for the new SE and I was hoping for a larger battery due to the rumors it would be slightly thicker, but it has the same battery capacity to an iphone 8. It would definitely be an upgrade from my current phone anyways, but it is a bit disappointing it isn’t nearly as good as the rest of the current iPhones in the battery department and I’m worried it won’t age well. My average working day before quarantine would go from 8am to 7-9pm so it would be pointless to get a new phone with a less comfortable form factor just for a better battery life only to be carrying around a charger as usual.

Now I’m in quarantine and I could save up for a XR/11 or even wait for a 12 if it’s line isn’t just Pro’s, but I feel like it is overkill to spend at least €700 on a phone I’ll only be using for communication, social media and photos (don’t really care much about the newer specs and features I’m not fussy). But battery life is also extremely important.

Thoughts?

iPhone 8 or the new SE will be comfortable to hold, etc due to it’s small design. You won’t feel much of a difference tbh since you jumping from the ORIG SE.

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
iPhone 8 or the new SE will be comfortable to hold, etc due to it’s small design. You won’t feel much of a difference tbh since you jumping from the ORIG SE.

size isn’t really a factor anymore, the only size I‘ve found comfortable have been 4” and under. At this point there aren’t anymore small phones being produced so I might as well hop on the phablet bandwagon. I personally care more about a good battery life and reliability.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I personally love the size of the SE1. The SE2 size isn't too much bigger, but I hate the design, especially the rounded edges. I got an iPhone 6s Plus when they launched. I came from the 5s and got the Plus size thinking I would like the larger size.

The only time I liked the larger Plus size was when I had two hands on it. I didn't like 1-handed use, the side lock button, the rounded edges, and the phone was just too big for storage in clothing and in my cars.

As soon as a 128GB SE came out, I sold my 6s Plus and got the SE. There has only been a few times I missed the larger Plus sized phone, as I have been very happen with my SE1.

he only thing that has let me down at this point is battery, it just isn’t enough to last me through your average working day

What iOS version do you have on your SE?
I can't say this definitively due to my SE1 with HW issues being replaced using AC+ at the same time as iOS 13 coming out, but I noticed an increase in battery life from iOS 12 to iOS13, although not nearly as good as iOS10.

Do you use an Apple Watch?
I bought an Apple Watch a few months ago, and since then my battery drains very, very quickly.

I am not on my phone that often. I used to only charge my SE1 during my commute to and from work, and I would hardly ever have to charge it at home, maybe once a month if that. Then I got an Apple Watch, and my battery dies really quickly, now requiring me to charge it at home daily.

It would definitely be an upgrade from my current phone anyways
You could get a new battery for your SE1.

If you take Apple official battery life numbers, the first SE had better battery life than the new SE2. Of course this was when the SE1 was new, but I would think that it probably hasn't changed too much.

I think if you are overall happy with your SE1, maybe a new battery will give you an extra year or two.

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
What iOS version do you have on your SE?
I can't say this definitively due to my SE1 with HW issues being replaced using AC+ at the same time as iOS 13 coming out, but I noticed an increase in battery life from iOS 12 to iOS13, although not nearly as good as iOS10.

Do you use an Apple Watch?
I bought an Apple Watch a few months ago, and since then my battery drains very, very quickly.

I am not on my phone that often. I used to only charge my SE1 during my commute to and from work, and I would hardly ever have to charge it at home, maybe once a month if that. Then I got an Apple Watch, and my battery dies really quickly, now requiring me to charge it at home daily.

You could get a new battery for your SE1.

If you take Apple official battery life numbers, the first SE had better battery life than the new SE2. Of course this was when the SE1 was new, but I would think that it probably hasn't changed too much.

I think if you are overall happy with your SE1, maybe a new battery will give you an extra year or two.

I’m on IOS 13, no Apple Watch and the battery just doesn’t last. Ten minutes of use would lose about 20% battery which is ridiculous.. my battery health is at 87% so it’s not even that bad, still qualifies as peak performance and also considering it’s a 4 year old device I’m better off getting a new phone rather than a battery change.

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
$399 for the new iPhone SE is a great deal if you’re coming from the 1st generation.

Over here it’s more like €499.
[automerge]1587053695[/automerge]
The SE won’t give u a good battery experience. You’re better off buying the new 11 or 11 Pro

I have the reg size pro model and it has great battery life!! X and prior iPhones have ****** battery life

Do you have experience with an iPhone 8? (considering the 8 and the new SE are supposed to have the same battery life)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have baby hands with short, stubby fingers. When the 6 and 6+ were released, I figured I might as well grab the bigger model since I'll need two hands to use either of them anyway. After a couple months with the 6+, I ended up downsizing to the 6. Found the 4.7" still a lot more manageable than the 5.5". The weight and weight distribution due to size likely helped.

iPhone SE2 has Bluetooth 5.0 vs Bluetooth 4.2 on SE1 so potentially lower consumption there if you use Apple Watch, etc.

With iPhone SE2, SE1 and 6s on iOS 13.4 and iPhone 6 on iOS 12.4.5, Apple has the following in their comparison:

F285FBA8-4934-41C2-80D1-54C35656A282.png
729DB24C-9EC3-4A43-82FB-D573ED7652DF.png
1A52E0CD-7B11-4D30-AD49-E5CEF560D43C.png

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
I went from the old SE to a 7 and it’s miles better ?:apple:

How so?
[automerge]1587054656[/automerge]
If the only problem is the battery, replace the battery. The original SE is a great phone in a great size, and it's worth keeping it running.

I’d rather get a new phone as I said in the post before, battery is bad despite it being at peak performance and considering it’s a 4 year old device it’s overdue anyways.

venomx999

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
Uk
@glambutnerdy
Screen size is slightly bigger but makes a big difference ( easier to type with and for looking at photos you’ve taken )
Battery lasts all day whereas the SE would conk out about 530pm

It’s also splash proof
The screen size is perfect as it fits in one hand but it’s still big

got it for £300 brand new

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
From what I understand the advertised battery life is disappointing, but you know that's going to be a function of what you do on the phone. If memory serves you have already replaced the battery once. Any current iPhone, though (including this SE) would be better able to handle iOS 13 (and 14 and 15...) so you might also get better battery performance there over replacing the battery again in your current SE.

I also much prefer the size of the current SE...but that's no longer an option, I guess we just have to live with it after a certain point. At least at this price point. Lots of noise about how the iPhone 12 may be closer in size to the current SE, but:

(a) I'll believe it when I see it, and
(b) It'll be a flagship phone at a flagship price.

As for the design of the phone, I'm covering it with a case anyway. :)

Reactions: glambutnerdy

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've always thought 4.7 was the perfect size for a device offering a manageable size and a screen that offered a better experience than a 4 inch screen in mixed use. My 6S was a wonderful phone and seeing apple offer the new SE for a reasonable price and respectable hardware is a great option for those who don't want to dump a bunch of money on a phone

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
I am like you, I really like the original SE form factor and don't really care about the camera but dl care about the screen and the battery. Makes me wonder whether I should get the iPhone 12 5.4" that it's launching this October? Granted, it will be $699 but if it has a smaller notch or no notch, better battery and OLED screen, I am completely sold.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I am like you, I really like the original SE form factor and don't really care about the camera but dl care about the screen and the battery. Makes me wonder whether I should get the iPhone 12 5.4" that it's launching this October? Granted, it will be $699 but if it has a smaller notch or no notch, better battery and OLED screen, I am completely sold.
I'm torn on this. To start, I'll believe an SE-sized flagship phone when I see it, but the rumors are out there so let's run with it. I have a hard time believing a $699 price point on such a device, but I hope I'm wrong. If I were choosing between the two, I'd have to assume:

--Price: goes to the SE, of course. If the 12 is truly a $699 entry, that's a (minimum) $300 difference (plus they've reduced the price of Apple Care for the SE, there's a savings there too).
--Processor: goes to the 12, I'm sure
--Camera: goes to the 12, ditto
--Size: goes to the 12 if rumors come to fruition
--Interface: I still prefer Touch ID to Face ID; that would go to the SE for me.

I don't know, this feels like a close call for me.

Jack_SB

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2020
I would say go for the 11 Pro.
Relatively small size, awesome device, amazing battery life, and it’s probably going to age much better than the SE.
SE 2 is a really big step from SE 1 (size-wise), but SE 2 to 11 pro, not so much.
See for yourself
Adjustments.jpg

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would say go for the 11 Pro.
Relatively small size, awesome device, amazing battery life, and it’s probably going to age much better than the SE.
SE 2 is a really big step from SE 1 (size-wise), but SE 2 to 11 pro, not so much.
See for yourself
View attachment 906571
The price difference is huge, though. For what the OP does on the phone, the 11 pro would be overkill.

Jack_SB

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2020
The price difference is huge, though. For what the OP does on the phone, the 11 pro would be overkill.

I know. But with SE 2, battery life would probably be as disappointing as iPhone 8 and the size difference is big already.

Ps.
Also depending on your region, price won’t be the same. OP mentioned 500€ for the SE (so EU country), that means that she can get an iPhone 11 for 650€ and have 3 times as much battery life.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I know. But with SE 2, battery life would probably be as disappointing as iPhone 8 and the size difference is big already.

Ps.
Also depending on your region, price won’t be the same. OP mentioned 500€ for the SE (so EU country), that means that she can get an iPhone 11 for 650€ and have 3 times as much battery life.
I understand people’s concern about battery life with the SE. The thing is one can’t compare a unreleased SE with the A13 to older phones and complain battery life is not good with the SE, even if the SE has the same size battery as the iPhone 8.

There is a lot of logical fallacy running rampant on the forum on several threads, in regards to battery. For all we hope, the A13 could help battery life in general. Time will tell.

If everyone used their phones in the same manner under the same cellular conditions, I could understand the reaction and grasping at electronic straws.

No matter what, each of us is going to see changing battery usage on daily basis. And the only real way to ascertain if the new SE will have bad battery usage for persons x,y, and z is for the people to use the phone under Apple trial and see if they like the phone and it meets their needs on a variety of levels.

The other problem I am seeing on the forum is a lot of unrealistic expectation with the SE versus it’s offered price point. And this from people who haven’t even seen the phone in person, much less used it. Happens all the time on MacRumors.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

I was excited for the new SE and I was hoping for a larger battery due to the rumors it would be slightly thicker, but it has the same battery capacity to an iphone 8.
Personally, I don't have any issues with the battery life of my iPhone 8. But then, I guess I'm not a very heavy user (I use it mostly for email, a moderate number of calls, and some apps, plus music, podcasts and audiobooks, but almost never video or games). In any case, the battery in your old SE has probably lost capacity due to aging. A new SE 2020 should be a significant improvement in that regard.
Now I’m in quarantine and I could save up for a XR/11 or even wait for a 12 if it’s line isn’t just Pro’s, but I feel like it is overkill to spend at least €700 on a phone I’ll only be using for communication, social media and photos (don’t really care much about the newer specs and features I’m not fussy). But battery life is also extremely important
I considered the 11 and 11 Pro. The 11 was way too big for my taste, and the 11 Pro still too big and it felt heavy in my pocket. Compared to the old SE they are both bricks. I find the 8 (and new SE) already borderline too big, but it's the smallest form factor you can now buy if you want an iOS phone.

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016

For what he primarily wants in a phone and since he hangs onto his device longer than the norm, best bet is to get the 11 Pro and call it a day!!! SE1/2 or whatever u want to call it won’t give him the best battery life in a small form factor!! 11 Pro is the perfect size all around

Reactions: Bethanie21

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds

Ps.

iPhone 11 here is actually sold for €830..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.