Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deranged58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I upgraded to the iOS 12 beta with hopes to play with this, but it doesn't seem like it's available yet?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Use the workflow app instead. Basically the same thing, except for Siri won't talk back to you about what it did yet.
I’m going to guess this shortcuts app will be dumbed down a bit to make it easy for anyone to use it. Hopefully they keep Workflow around for those who want to do more powerful scripting/automation.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
The Shortcuts app I’m hoping will be in a future beta or the full release. I don’t want a messages in the cloud and airplay 2 experience again. :p

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’m going to guess this shortcuts app will be dumbed down a bit to make it easy for anyone to use it. Hopefully they keep Workflow around for those who want to do more powerful scripting/automation.
I'll be honest: I've taken a couple of brief runs at workflow. If you are a developer and think in terms of calling apps and processes to make things happen, I'm sure its a snap. If you're not wired that way, anything other than the templates and pre-made routines in the Gallery, can be pretty daunting.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I don’t see anyone I know using this honestly lol looks complicated
I already have a fair number suggested to me by Siri (though many of those are things I could do already, it looks like). If there are a lot of suggestions (like "I see you go to the dry cleaners and get coffee every Wednesday morning before work, would you like me to set those up for you?"), it may be useful. If people have to program their own, not so much.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Since Apple acquired Workflow, I see Shortcuts as a simpler, easier to use version of it for regular users. Hopefully, Workflow itself will continue to be available for power users. I am a huge fan and use it on a daily basis. It's super powerful!
I hope they keep it also. Someday, I'd like to just sit down and figure it out. I'm sure it can do all sorts of awesome things. Go Blue!
[doublepost=1528222034][/doublepost]
You can set up siri shortcuts with workflow now. I successfully set one up.
How is this different than setting up a regular workflow?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I hope they keep it also. Someday, I'd like to just sit down and figure it out. I'm sure it can do all sorts of awesome things. Go Blue!
[doublepost=1528222034][/doublepost]
How is this different than setting up a regular workflow?
Setting up the workflow is identical. What’s new is that you can assign it to a Siri command. In my case I created a workflow that allows me to dictate a patent number, and then it goes and downloads the patent off a website. Then I assigned it to the verbal cue “get patent.” So if I say “hey siri, get patent” it prompts me for the patent number, I say the patent number, and it does its thing.

I don’t believe the shortcuts app will be that different from workflow. It will get a new coat of paint for sure, but the fundamental capabilities will likely be similar. It looks like their are new sdks that let you expose interfaces to the new app in a cleaner way than url schemes, for example, but the documentation isn’t all up yet.

Reactions: jeremiah256

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'll be honest: I've taken a couple of brief runs at workflow. If you are a developer and think in terms of calling apps and processes to make things happen, I'm sure its a snap. If you're not wired that way, anything other than the templates and pre-made routines in the Gallery, can be pretty daunting.
Agreed. I used it for a couple simple things and it worked OK. But I’m not a programmer so a lot of it seems Greek to me.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Agreed. I used it for a couple simple things and it worked OK. But I’m not a programmer so a lot of it seems Greek to me.
even as a programmer, i find it weird. I wanted to receive a set of digits by voice and then prepend text (“http://patents.google.com/US”) before the digits. There may be another way to do it, but the only way I could figure it out was to create a list, put the text on the list, then put the digits on the list, then combine all the items on the list into a single string with no separator character. As a coder for 40 years, that’s a pretty convoluted way to do things.
[doublepost=1528223270][/doublepost]
Will it be able to open up Spotify and play a particular playlist or station?

It should, though Spotify may have to update their app.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Setting up the workflow is identical. What’s new is that you can assign it to a Siri command. In my case I created a workflow that allows me to dictate a patent number, and then it goes and downloads the patent off a website. Then I assigned it to the verbal cue “get patent.” So if I say “hey siri, get patent” it prompts me for the patent number, I say the patent number, and it does its thing.

I don’t believe the shortcuts app will be that different from workflow. It will get a new coat of paint for sure, but the fundamental capabilities will likely be similar. It looks like their are new sdks that let you expose interfaces to the new app in a cleaner way than url schemes, for example, but the documentation isn’t all up yet.
I'm sure there is going to be (or has been) a WWDC session on this. Can't wait to check that out!

deranged58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Use the workflow app instead. Basically the same thing, except for Siri won't talk back to you about what it did yet.

Yes, I do have that, just that I was curious about how the Shortcuts app would work.
This might just be one of the most exciting features for me haha

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I feel like this whole shortcut system could be better. Examples:

- Multiple trigger phrases per shortcut (so you can record a few natural sounding phrases for the same action without having to recreate the same shortcut over and over again)
- Factor into dynamic content: Navigate to XYZ in Google maps -> a way to extract XYZ from the request to push a parameter to the Shortcut (although no idea how to set that up).

Both of these points would allow us to essentially make Siri the smartest assistant out there. As it stands, it is very limited due to only accepting 1 static trigger phrase.

Reactions: gwhizkids

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I feel like this whole shortcut system could be better. Examples:

- Multiple trigger phrases per shortcut (so you can record a few natural sounding phrases for the same action without having to recreate the same shortcut over and over again)
- Factor into dynamic content: Navigate to XYZ in Google maps -> a way to extract XYZ from the request to push a parameter to the Shortcut (although no idea how to set that up).

Both of these points would allow us to essentially make Siri the smartest assistant out there. As it stands, it is very limited due to only accepting 1 static trigger phrase.
dynamic stuff isn’t a simple shortcut though- it requires natural language processing by Siri to be understood and then presented to the app in a way the app understands, which requires APIs (eg ‘this is a navigate request’). This is done through the intents stuff which is in place for messaging, voip, payments and a few other things, but I see this is quite separate to shortcuts, which is ‘dumb’ but configurable. We’ll see though!
[doublepost=1528311324][/doublepost]

Won’t the shortcut app open up things like messages and calls? Afaik third party apps like workflow can’t hook into those, but an Apple app could. It could be a lot more powerful

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
dynamic stuff isn’t a simple shortcut though- it requires natural language processing by Siri to be understood and then presented to the app in a way the app understands, which requires APIs (eg ‘this is a navigate request’). This is done through the intents stuff which is in place for messaging, voip, payments and a few other things, but I see this is quite separate to shortcuts, which is ‘dumb’ but configurable. We’ll see though!
[doublepost=1528311324][/doublepost]

Won’t the shortcut app open up things like messages and calls? Afaik third party apps like workflow can’t hook into those, but an Apple app could. It could be a lot more powerful

More apps will have hooks for the shortcuts app, but not because the shortcuts app is substantively different than workflow. It's just a function of developer support and apple internal support, now that the app is official.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
More apps will have hooks for the shortcuts app, but not because the shortcuts app is substantively different than workflow. It's just a function of developer support and apple internal support, now that the app is official.
Ok, well your original post seemed to make out the only difference was that Siri could initiate the workflow/shortcut so I was making that clearer if only for others. Having the ability to send a message automatically is a substantive difference for me :)

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
It’s clear that the foundations of the shortcuts app is WORKFLOW but I think what we saw was a much easier to use and not necessarily dumbed down version. Apple certainly acquired workflow for the team of devs and they said “we love this and it is the future but making it a bit more accessible for the common user”

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Ok, well your original post seemed to make out the only difference was that Siri could initiate the workflow/shortcut so I was making that clearer if only for others. Having the ability to send a message automatically is a substantive difference for me :)
That’s nice, but you can send a message automatically in iOS 11 with workflow already.
[doublepost=1528333711][/doublepost]
It’s clear that the foundations of the shortcuts app is WORKFLOW but I think what we saw was a much easier to use and not necessarily dumbed down version. Apple certainly acquired workflow for the team of devs and they said “we love this and it is the future but making it a bit more accessible for the common user”
What I saw on screen at the keynote looked identical to workflow, with a new color scheme and fonts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.