Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Please explain. I'm debating buying an X as I want to be jailbroken. I'm wondering if it's worth holding out for a JB for 12 or if the XS is not that much better and I should just get the X.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Please explain. I'm debating buying an X as I want to be jailbroken. I'm wondering if it's worth holding out for a JB for 12 or if the XS is not that much better and I should just get the X.
I know the basic specs but is it significantly better in any way, faster much better camera?

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
There’s lots on this on YouTube with your question! Search is your friend

Last edited:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
No, which better reflects on how good the X is then anything wrong with the XS.
If I needed dual sim, that would be the only feature that would interest me.
The XS Max on the other hand. That a yes from me.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
The iPhone x is history apple discontinue it, if you read my post from last year i projected it so if you buying a new iPhone buy the new one only

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
I will upgrade for the dual SIM functionality. I travel a lot and it will be perfect if I can use my GigSky account for data am my normal number for voice only.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Only if you are a real camera enthusiast who wants a bigger display. Then go with the max, but in every other case keep your X
Gotcha, that's what I figured based on Apple's history of incremental updates. Bad idea to get anything older than the X out of concern for needing a home button?

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
If you used a X then go not back to older devices. I have a 7 and a XS and the 7 feels so antique to me now. Like using an iphone 4.

I would recommend buying a used iphone x, I heard a ios 12 jb is on the way and the xs arent supported.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Gotcha, that's what I figured based on Apple's history of incremental updates. Bad idea to get anything older than the X out of concern for needing a home button?
I wouldn’t, notch is the future.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The camera is significantly better and the speakers are a lot better. However on paper it doesn’t look like much of an upgrade.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have both and I would say no. The new camera does take much better photos outside in areas of high contrast such as bright skies and dark shadows. It also has some better low light capabilities. I also like the HDR in video and the stereo sound. And I have noticed better stereo separation when watching videos. But I wouldn't have upgraded if I wasn't already on iPhone Upgrade Program and would continue making payments regardless. Though I am toying around with the idea of not upgrading next year if no iPhone XE comes out and then my wife can replace her SE with this XS in 2020 when it's paid off. Since it has 4GB of RAM I think it's going to last for a while and she wants whatever the smallest iPhone is and doesn't care about having the latest tech.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have both and I would say no. The new camera does take much better photos outside in areas of high contrast such as bright skies and dark shadows. It also has some better low light capabilities. I also like the HDR in video and the stereo sound. And I have noticed better stereo separation when watching videos. But I wouldn't have upgraded if I wasn't already on iPhone Upgrade Program and would continue making payments regardless. Though I am toying around with the idea of not upgrading next year if no iPhone XE comes out and then my wife can replace her SE with this XS in 2020 when it's paid off. Since it has 4GB of RAM I think it's going to last for a while and she wants whatever the smallest iPhone is and doesn't care about having the latest tech.
Is the X camera still a significant upgrade from the 7/8 or 6S?

Are they really discontinuing the X?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Over the 6s/7, the X Camera has different capabilities and takes fairly impressive photo’s.

Apple no longer directly sells the X. You can however, purchase the X from third party retailers with remaining stock.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The XS is like previous S phones, it is intended for the 2 year or older upgrader, not the previous year’s. X owners would only feel incremental update going to the XS, but owners of 7 or older iPhones will feel the huge jump.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Over the 6s/7, the X Camera has different capabilities and takes fairly impressive photo’s.
But the picture quality of the XS is not significantly better than the 8/X?

Apple no longer directly sells the X. You can however, purchase the X from third party retailers with remaining stock.
So is it a bad idea to buy an X if the jailbreak is important to me?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
The XS is like previous S phones, it is intended for the 2 year or older upgrader, not the previous year’s. X owners would only feel incremental update going to the XS, but owners of 7 or older iPhones will feel the huge jump.

I don't know if it's fair to say it's like previous S phones...it doesn't do other S models justice, the ones which were significant upgrades

Consider the iPhone 6S from the 6, which was a pretty significant upgrade. Pretty much everything other than the design was improved upon in a significant way, the same cannot be said of the XS over the X which overall has less improvements, and the ones that are there are comparably more minor ones

I agree with you though, your point stands - these devices are intended more for the people who are on that 2 year or older upgrade cycle
[doublepost=1538173591][/doublepost]
But the picture quality of the XS is not significantly better than the 8/X?

Not significantly, no. But the camera is better. Are photos important to you? Do you take many pictures and videos? If so, then get the newer device. If you aren't a huge photographer or videographer then the X should be just fine.

If you're looking to jailbreak, the X will be your best bet but it will have to be a model that is pre-iOS 11.3.1

No XS or XS Max device (or any device with iOS 12, that includes the X if you get one used that is on 11.4 or greater) can be jailbroken yet

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

I wouldn’t say it’s significant, unless you don’t have a Plus, in which you’ll get the telephoto lens and portrait mode. It’s better in different ways that kinda depend on what you shoot. Depending on the model comparison the video may also be better and stabilized more effectively.

Yeah, it’s discontinued, but you might find one somewhere I’m sure.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I wouldn’t say it’s significant, unless you don’t have a Plus, in which you’ll get the telephoto lens and portrait mode. It’s better in different ways that kinda depend on what you shoot. Depending on the model comparison the video may also be better and stabilized more effectively.

Yeah, it’s discontinued, but you might find one somewhere I’m sure.
I agree the difference in camera quality going from the 7 plus to the X wasn’t that great. The jump from the X to the Xs is greater.

Reactions: macduke

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I agree the difference in camera quality going from the 7 plus to the X wasn’t that great. The jump from the X to the Xs is greater.
Yeah, if camera is your number one thing and you want to keep your iPhone for a long time, the XS is the way to go. The camera and extra RAM will keep it relevant and getting updates for some time.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.