Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rstorm

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
I use the BTMouse Jr...a little small but for use in the living room it works great! The only down size is I have to replace the batteries monthly.

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
ok I should clarify, I refuse to use the Mighty Mouse. That thing is horrible. A friend of mine loves the thing and I've had to use it too many times

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Bluetooth sucks for basically everything I've ever used it for.

-- The mice have always had poor response and so-so battery life.
-- File transfers are basically pointless unless the file is relatively small in size.
-- Pairing with devices for sync'ing data is nearly impossible - at least for me. I can't seem to get most devices to pair properly with my Mac, and when they do, they either refuse to sync, or The Missing Sync is required, which is BS, IMO.

When it comes to buying a mouse, I stick with the wired ones, with the exception of the Logitech MX1000 for my desktop. That is the greatest mouse ever made, IMO.

*cough* 2.5 months battery life w/ daily usage *cough* 1hr recharge li-ion battery *cough cough* ;)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I think the Mighty Mouse is sort of decent in it's accuracy although it has a major fault with that two button thing and it's just too slow. And I think the side buttons aren't very ergonomic. However, like the shape. You can always use high-capacity NiMh rechargeables in it as I do.

I prefer the non-Bluetooth Logitech Revolution VX by far though.

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
I have two BT MM. I use one with my G5 and BT dongle and the other with a CD Mac Mini and they are both absolutely fine.
I must admit to using rechargable NI-MH batteries.

Dave :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Bluetooth sucks for basically everything I've ever used it for.

-- The mice have always had poor response and so-so battery life.
-- File transfers are basically pointless unless the file is relatively small in size.
-- Pairing with devices for sync'ing data is nearly impossible - at least for me. I can't seem to get most devices to pair properly with my Mac, and when they do, they either refuse to sync, or The Missing Sync is required, which is BS, IMO.

When it comes to buying a mouse, I stick with the wired ones, with the exception of the Logitech MX1000 for my desktop. That is the greatest mouse ever made, IMO.

*cough* 2.5 months battery life w/ daily usage *cough* 1hr recharge li-ion battery *cough cough* ;)

I've had similar experiences and, if the machine is busy, Bluetooth connectivity suffers greatly.

The only Bluetooth mouse that would seem to be good is the Logitech V270 but even then, I've heard enough bad that I won't buy it at the current price.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
I would rather go with Logitech Bluetooth mouse then the Apple Mighty Mouse. I even replace my Apple mouse that come with the Mac Pro. I don't know why people like the Mighty Mouse so much. Yeah, it work great and battery life is only average, but I can never get use to the design. Apple tend to make mouse isn't that comfortable because they want to keep their nice design. I alway replace my Apple mouse with the Logitech one because it's more comfartable and the scroll button is a lot better. The one on the Apple is so small and make a small buzzing noise like a fly is stuck inside it every time I use it, which gross me out.

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
I've had the MX900 for a few years and it's been awesome. It's recently been skipping and having tracking issues so they're sending me an MX1000 BT mouse. But I love the mouse. :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I would rather go with Logitech Bluetooth mouse then the Apple Mighty Mouse. I even replace my Apple mouse that come with the Mac Pro. I don't know why people like the Mighty Mouse so much. Yeah, it work great and battery life is only average, but I can never get use to the design. Apple tend to make mouse isn't that comfortable because they want to keep their nice design. I alway replace my Apple mouse with the Logitech one because it's more comfartable and the scroll button is a lot better. The one on the Apple is so small and make a small buzzing noise like a fly is stuck inside it every time I use it, which gross me out.

A "buzzing sound"? You've got to be kidding! I've never had any mouse, of any brand, that hasn't been completely silent.

I have purchased and used multiple brands of Bluetooth mice (Microsoft, Radtech/Bluetake, and now Apple), and the Mighty Mouse is the only one that doesn't have that annoying "sleep" delay after sitting in one spot for more than 15 seconds. But the tradeoff is battery life. I use NiMH rechargeables - have with all my mice, actually - so mouse battery life isn't a big factor to me. If I have to swap them every three weeks versus every four, oh gosh that takes me like 60 seconds I won't tolerate it!!! :D

The main downside to rechargeable batteries is the chances of getting a dud battery are fairly high - I'd guess about 5-10% based on my experience. I'm pretty sure this is why a fair number of people have bad opinions about rechargeables, since they unknowingly get a dud and end up thinking "oh those things drain too fast". But the 90-95% that are non-duds work extremely well and last a comparable time to alkaline batteries.

gothiquegirrl

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
Planet Earth
I have been thinking of trying a glue tooth Mouse and Keyboard when I get my new mac.. but now I think I'll stick to using my wired Wacom Tablet set.

Angie

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
A "buzzing sound"? You've got to be kidding! I've never had any mouse, of any brand, that hasn't been completely silent.

I have purchased and used multiple brands of Bluetooth mice (Microsoft, Radtech/Bluetake, and now Apple), and the Mighty Mouse is the only one that doesn't have that annoying "sleep" delay after sitting in one spot for more than 15 seconds. But the tradeoff is battery life. I use NiMH rechargeables - have with all my mice, actually - so mouse battery life isn't a big factor to me. If I have to swap them every three weeks versus every four, oh gosh that takes me like 60 seconds I won't tolerate it!!! :D

The main downside to rechargeable batteries is the chances of getting a dud battery are fairly high - I'd guess about 5-10% based on my experience. I'm pretty sure this is why a fair number of people have bad opinions about rechargeables, since they unknowingly get a dud and end up thinking "oh those things drain too fast". But the 90-95% that are non-duds work extremely well and last a comparable time to alkaline batteries.

No I mean the small buzzling noise when you use the small scroll button on the Mighty Mouse, that felt like a fly. I'm not complaining about the noise. Just the weired effect of using it. Try scrolling really fast through a page and you kind of hear and felt it.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
No I mean the small buzzling noise when you use the small scroll button on the Mighty Mouse, that felt like a fly. I'm not complaining about the noise. Just the weired effect of using it. Try scrolling really fast through a page and you kind of hear and felt it.

Oh, okay, while I don't seem to have that experience it does make more sense.

I was thinking that, if your mouse was actually buzzing, you might not want to be anywhere near it. :)

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
I have the BTMouse by MacAlly -- works like a charm. I really love the fact that it uses rechargeable batteries and includes a desktop docking cradle for charging.

I've recently moved from a PowerMac G5 to a MacBook, so I plan on picking up it's little brother (BTMicro, I believe) to keep in my notebook carrying case.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have a Logitech MX900 at home, and I like it alot. It's the best "feel" a mouse has ever had for me. (I've also owned the MX700.) In fact, I'm thinking of getting another one for the office.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
I would love my Mighty Mouse, expect for one thing, the scroll nipple on top has lost half its functionality. It can no longer scroll upwards (but it can scroll sideways and downwards still :confused: ).

Anyone know of a way to fix this? :eek:

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I would love my Mighty Mouse, expect for one thing, the scroll nipple on top has lost half its functionality. It can no longer scroll upwards (but it can scroll sideways and downwards still :confused: ).

Anyone know of a way to fix this? :eek:

In short, turn the mouse upside down and scroll really hard. Some people say to use the screen cleaning cloth. I just use my fingers. You'll see the dirt roll out of there. Don't be afraid to press hard.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
There's a whole thread about it somewhere.

In short, turn the mouse upside down and scroll really hard. Some people say to use the screen cleaning cloth. I just use my fingers. You'll see the dirt roll out of there. Don't be afraid to press hard.

Thankyou! I just found the thread and rubbed the nipple very hard with some kitchen roll. I had tried that before but was scared of hurting the mouse so never did it very hard. Works like a dream now. :)

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
What kind of solid battery life are you getting from it? Between charges with constant use I mean.

I'm not generally at the computer for more than a couple hours at a time, but I haven't had the batteries die on me while using it -- I drop the BTMouse on the recharging cradle before bed and/or before I leave for work in the morning. It auto sleeps after maybe ten minutes or so and a click wakes it up.

It died on me a couple times when I first got it and I wasn't that diligent about charging it -- maybe a couple days of off and on use. I had to flip the 'on/off' switch on the bottom to 'off' in order to charge from that fully dead state. The mouse also features a red light on the top that lights up if the battery is very low to help you avoid this (I said to myself when is saw that the first time 'oh cool, it lights up').

In a pinch you can always keep a spare set of AAA alkalines around just in case. Although make sure you don't put the mouse on the charger with those in it -- you don't want it to blow up like a Dell laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.