Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
I can't do this.

I've ruined my Macintosh. It's appalling.

I miss my functional Operating System. Perhaps after about 6 months worths of patches this will be suitable - but as it stands it is nothing but grief.

Have Apple launched a 'Revert To Mavericks' tool for download anywhere? Do we think there's one in the works?

Cheers :)

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
More likely than not there is a lesson to be learned here. I can think of three ways to revert to Mavericks:
  • Restore the system drive from the cloned system drive that you made in anticipation of needing to go back.
  • If your computer dates from Lion or later, do an Internet Recovery, see http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4718, and then upgrade as necessary (assuming Mavericks appears in the App Store -- you need to have previously "bought" it). Warning that you will generally not be able to recover your account completely because of lack of backwards compatibility of many applications.
  • Reinstall Mavericks from a USB Flash drive you put the Mavericks Installer on in anticipation of needing to do a Mavericks install.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I can't do this.

I've ruined my Macintosh. It's appalling.

I miss my functional Operating System. Perhaps after about 6 months worths of patches this will be suitable - but as it stands it is nothing but grief.

Have Apple launched a 'Revert To Mavericks' tool for download anywhere? Do we think there's one in the works?

Cheers :)

or you could try reinstalling yosemite, and/or getting help from resources like this forum. for most people, yosemite is working fine. with EVERY version of the OS, some people have problems.

get help, or...go back. up to you...

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Open the MAS and select the purchases tab
Scroll down to Mavericks and click download
Once its downloaded create a USB installer
Boot using the installer and install Mavericks
As ever create a back-up first

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Did you do a clean install or did you simply upgrade? I never, ever, ever, ever, EVER do an upgrade! Always a clean install.

Clean install has messed up my server machine completely. Had to reinstall Mavericks from recovery and do an update to Yosemite - works like a charm.

Just saying.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
There is no way back. Either you have a complete (Time Machine) backup of your Mavericks installation to which you revert, or you backup your data, format your hard drive (recovery mode: cmd + r on startup), install Mavericks from a DVD or USB stick and set up your system anew.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Did you do a clean install or did you simply upgrade? I never, ever, ever, ever, EVER do an upgrade! Always a clean install.

As they say YMMV. I never, ever do a clean install and when I move to a new system I migrate everything. Probably still have some Jaguar cruft in my Yosemite system, but it works just fine. I've done all the point upgrades as well as all the betas for the past few years as well.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Clean install has messed up my server machine completely. Had to reinstall Mavericks from recovery and do an update to Yosemite - works like a charm.

Just saying.

How? In all my time I've never seen a clean vanilla build having issues as long as you downloaded OS X directly from Apple's servers. Did you use a questionable third party USB utility to build the machine? I always use Diskmaker X (as it is now known) and never had an issue:

http://liondiskmaker.com/

----------

You are rrrrrrrrright. Upgrade is so so so so dangerous. Don't do it ever!!!!

It's not dangerous but you are starting "as new" with no crap/issues carried forward from previous builds.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It's not dangerous but you are starting "as new" with no crap/issues carried forward from previous builds.

It's a trade-off between A) the crap/issues carried forward and B) having to re-install and re-configure everything. For me, B is much worse.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

What might those issues be? My Mavericks was working great. I upgraded, and my Yosemite is working great. OS X is not the type of OS (like Windows) that's prone to having "crap/issues". There is very little that can get mucked up because apps don't modify the OS or store their settings in a single unwieldy, fragile, database.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's a trade-off between A) the crap/issues carried forward and B) having to re-install and re-configure everything. For me, B is much worse.

Usually, I go the clean install path (left over from being a Windows user, I suppose) however, this time, I did an upgrade (didn't want all the work you mentioned above) and everything has been fine.

Having said this, I will probably go home and find my MBP is a smoldering pile of aluminum slag on the kitchen table.....:eek:

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
How? In all my time I've never seen a clean vanilla build having issues as long as you downloaded OS X directly from Apple's servers. Did you use a questionable third party USB utility to build the machine? I always use Diskmaker X (as it is now known) and never had an issue:

http://liondiskmaker.com/

----------

This is a good app. Used it on my Mountain Lion install. Still currently on.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

I used Yosemite's own createinstallmedia. The USB stick worked very well with a number of other machines, but the server installation was extremely unstable and completely died two days later.

In the end, I do not believe that there is any difference whether you install clean or update. The end result will be the same actually.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
But the server installation was extremely unstable and completely died two days later.

Looks like I may be in for an "interesting" experience. I'm retiring my old 2009 mini server (originally Snow Leopard Server, upgraded to Mountain Lion (skipping Lion Server), and now Mavericks Server. I decided to bring up the new server fresh with a new install of Yosemite and Server. I guess if it completely dies, I can fall back on the old mini's disk image!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Looks like I may be in for an "interesting" experience. I'm retiring my old 2009 mini server (originally Snow Leopard Server, upgraded to Mountain Lion (skipping Lion Server), and now Mavericks Server. I decided to bring up the new server fresh with a new install of Yosemite and Server. I guess if it completely dies, I can fall back on the old mini's disk image!

Yeah, I still don't trust Yosemite completely. This is the first time that I am setting up a OS X server (or any server in big style at all), as I have 'inherited' the old server from my predecessor. My experiences with the OS X server have been mixed. Its shiny at all, but it makes it very difficult to configure particular details. Also, backups are very non-obvious and the documentation is lacking. I ended up baking my own stack of services and control scripts that 'hack' into the Apple's server and tweak the details to our purpose. So far, it seems to work quite nicely. I only back up the folder with my control scripts, which also contain the backups of important Apple services - that goes to a local RAID6 array and then redundantly stored to several tape libraries. The beauty of the whole install — if the entire thing crashes down, I just need to reinstall the base OS, then run my installer script and the entire system is restored and running. Given that I had to completely wipe the disk at least 4 times while I was playing around with the settings, the extra work setting these scripts up really came in handy ;)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
My experiences with the OS X server have been mixed. Its shiny at all, but it makes it very difficult to configure particular details.

Yes, if the GUI doesn't do it you have to revert to the command line, so it's no longer for the novice.

I found out that cloning the drive every night for backups works fine except for Open Directory which must be backed up -- I do that in Server.app whenever I change its contents (which for me is very infrequent). Other databases seem to back up fine with the cloning.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I've upgraded 4 machines now, no issues. I think the variability is mostly in the pre-upgrade state which then leads to potential problems with the upgrade route. My 4 machines are close to clones of each other.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
You are rrrrrrrrright. Upgrade is so so so so dangerous. Don't do it ever!!!!

Just saying.

I've done so many Clean installs I lost count. It's safe, easy, a bit time consuming of course, but without Time Machine to make sure no apps or programs get in the way of a new install and see things working first. Saying its so so so dangerous is silly and not truthful. Before saying something dumb like that why don't you point out what is so dangerous about it. :p

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
The only thing thats dangerous is not having many backups. You can reinstall as many times as you want but if you don't have your precious files… It's kind of useless.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the help. Seems i'm screwed as I can't do a clean install as I need all the stuff on my computer.

I'll just not use my personal computer for a few months until bugs are fixed (i'll stick to my iPad, and work computer).

Hopefully Apple can fix the 'click not registering' bug which is completely the most annoying bug i've ever experienced in my life. I click so much. . .

Cheers again.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the help. Seems i'm screwed as I can't do a clean install as I need all the stuff on my computer.

I'll just not use my personal computer for a few months until bugs are fixed (i'll stick to my iPad, and work computer).

Hopefully Apple can fix the 'click not registering' bug which is completely the most annoying bug i've ever experienced in my life. I click so much. . .

Cheers again.

But you have a backup anyway, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.